Search posts (1 Viewer)

Grumm

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:54
Hi,

Maybe someone already noticed this, but on my account I see 301 messages.
When I click or search for them I only see 9 hits..
Is that normal ?

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 16:54
I have another gripe about another portion of the search functionality. hey Jon, it seems like it's not very easy to search anymore, or rather it was easier with the old software. It looks like much of it was transferred over OK and the same textboxes are there, but what about this message? I don't remember this happening with the old software. Do I just not remember?

Attachments

• search_terms_too_short.jpg
    search_terms_too_short.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 191

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 22:54
I seem to remember that 3 letters weren't enough in the old software.
It's a deliberate default to cut down on the backend server load.

Reactions: Jon

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
@Minty You are correct.

@vba_php No different to the old forums.

1580400333250.png

Eventually, I will look into something called Elastic Search and also ThreadLoom search, but that won't happen for a while as there are higher priorities.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:54
Has anyone found a way to search with an AND when searching a phrase or multiple words?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Have you tried just putting in there multiple words?

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:54
Yes. And the result set is quite diverse. Anywhere 1 of the words is found that link is listed.
There may be some format required to have exact phrase |OR|AND???

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
thanks Jon. I will explore it more and figure it out. I trust you. :)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I found this in the xenforo community

The only modifiers are really + to require a term (which is the default anyway), - for not allowing a term, and | -- as in "x | y" -- for "or". Beyond that, quotes allow phrase searching

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I just had a quick look at elastic search and it is pretty pricey. First of all, their smallest plan is $16pm and then there is the Xenforo fee of $55 for the add-on. I think that is probably prohibitive. I will look at what other solutions might be available.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I will checkout the add-ons for Xenforo and it looks like Threadloom search is free. But sometimes they want a link on every page. I will check this sort of stuff out..

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
We have had a new member join. His message account is 12 already, yet a search just for his messages only shows 4 threads and he has not posted multiple times with those? :confused:

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
We have had a new member join. His message account is 12 already, yet a search just for his messages only shows 4 threads and he has not posted multiple times with those? :confused:
oh no! is that one of your sql inject attempter friends from China, Jon? :p

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Who is the member?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
fertooos
Not picking on them, they were just in a post I was looking at and I was curious as to what else they had posted.?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
@Gasman It was spam. They dropped a link to a website.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
@Gasman It was spam. They dropped a link to a website.
you don't have to reveal it here, Jon, but what security measures do you have in place to prevent spam other than SQL inject escape strings? do you have a captcha? I know you already send a confirmation link via email. at least you did with your old software. and I'd also like to know, since I'm sure Colin got the notification that I previously created an account with an onion-routing server process and nothing here detected that, does your software catch that as well? over at mr. Excel, they are *somewhat* good at it, however you can still get around it and create an account over there with careful button-click ordering and being sure not to press buttons more than once. Just curious....I'm sure that stopping people from using browsers like TOR is a tough process, and I've only run into a few firms that have done it, like Goldman Sachs on Wall Street and Google. Google prevents searches using TOR after 1 search is run, and Goldman Sachs throws an "access denied" error if you try to load one of their pages using TOR.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Hmm, the posts did not appear to be the normal one liners you see with spammers. :(
don't be fooled, Gasman. The scams and criminals will get more sophisticated as time goes on. Check out this email I got just today, which sound *fairly* legitimate (see attached)....if you google "barriser", nothing comes up. go figure. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• barrister_1.jpg
    barrister_1.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 109
  • barrister_2.jpg
    barrister_2.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 106
  • barrister_3.jpg
    barrister_3.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 99

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom