She's leaving home (1 Viewer)

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
Today, 18:15
She (we gave her most of our lives)
is leaving (sacrificed most of our lives)
home (we gave her everything money could buy)
She's leaving home after living alone for
so many years (bye bye)

Father snores as his wife gets into her dressing gown
Picks up the letter that's lying there
Standing alone at the top of the stairs
She breaks down and cries to her husband
Daddy our baby's gone
Why would she treat us so thoughtlessly
How could she do this to me

She (We never thought of ourselves)
is leaving (never a thought for ourselves)
home (we struggled hard all our lives to get by)
She's leaving home after living alone for
so many years (bye bye)

She didn't leave a note. We knew it was coming. I even knew the date. (today) But when my husband called me at work after he had arrived home, and told me her bed was gone, and her room empty, I have to confess, tears came to my eyes. (They are now as well.)

She's the last to go of the three. She is our oldest, and it was definitely her time to go. I'm happy for her, living in a little crusty old duplex, with torn screens covering dirty windows that have foam spray acting as a weak barrier of insulation to keep out drafts and rodents, a kitchen drawer that doesn't open because the stove is in the way, a cabinet door, hanging by one hinge, bedroom closet doors leaning against the opposite wall waiting to be installed, and nothing but her bed, a dresser, a television, clothes and a small sitting bench that will serve as a couch for now. It's a typical rental for a first-time nest flight She's excited about going to the Salvation Army and Goodwill shops digging out cheap furnishings and such to surround her flag of independence she has firmly planted. I won't have any trouble Christmas shopping for her this year!

And now I am alone with a man I haven't been alone with for twenty five years. While he's measuring the room and trying to determine if a pool table will fit in there, I'm in my own room writing to my friends on my Access forum, and crying like a silly woman.

I have to admit, I am glad she did it while I was at work. When my middle child left, the first to leave, I tried to help her pack but found myself blubbering and running to my room instead. And she wasn't even HOME that often at that point! Spent most nights with her boyfriend!

I know it's ridiculous. I feel foolish for crying. But that's me. I'm a mom.

I need more tissue. Why don't you guys tell me all about your first dwellings and roomates, if applicable? That should be good for a few chuckles and help cheer me up. :)

Last edited:

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Today, 15:15
my first house was a two up and two down mid terrance love pad ...
got married that stopped all of the fun...

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
I hope the pool table fits!

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Today, 23:15
I am the opposite, my daughter and my grandson are moving back in. She has her own rented property so it's not out of necessity, she is coming back to look after my wife as her carer. Only problem is all the clutter she is bringing back with her. Christmas will be great this year with my 5yr old grandson about.

statsman

Local time
I feel for you.

When my last one left the nest I felt very similar. All I could do is hope that the time and effort I spent raising her had not been in vain.

So far, it has not been.

ChipperT

Banned in 13 Countries
Local time
My second son moved out years ago, leaving my wife and I with blessed quiet - for a while. Then he moved back in three years later, out again a year after that and then back six months later for just a month. Since then he has been living with his girlfriend/fiance'. But I suspect they are both heading back to shove me out of my home office once again as he was just layed off from his job and their rent payments will be hard to meet. That's OK though. They only lived a short distance away and were in the house every weekend and a couple of nights a week anyway.

Don't fill that spare room up too soon. It stands a good chance of being occupied again.

the_net_2.0

Banned
Local time
Today, 17:15
My second son moved out years ago, leaving my wife and I with blessed quiet - for a while. Then he moved back in three years later
I've always wondered why you look so angry in your avatar!

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
My first place was my college dorm room. And your duaghter is lucky that you care so about her..... I am jealous, my dad moved me into my dorm (I hadn't seen the campus nor gone to orientation, nor signed up for any classes or gotten my ID so I couldn't eat anywhere), Gave me a hug, handed me $60 bucks and left. I was 18 and all alone, I went outside, sat down on a wall and cried, until some compassionate mother invited me to go with them to the welcome events. I met her daughter (I lived in an all girls dorm) and from there things worked out.

So from the opposite end of the spectrum, WAY TO GO!!!!!! I think it's wonderful that you care so much about your daughter, and I am sure she knows that too. And though I am sure you know this, it will get easier. :)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
#4 left for college this year. So my wife and I are alone now; after 26 years of bringing up four daughters. So far so good, except my wife (with each holiday) keeps asking them when they will come home to visit. So far, we have kept their rooms "ready" as if they will return. Eventually, we will have to face-up to the fact that they have moved on. The eldest just got engaged.

coocoocachoo2

Local time
My first apartment was with three college mates. Our first weekend we went out and bought ourselves a keg of natural light beer and invited everyone we knew. We only had maybe 10 people show up so there was plenty of beer. At about 3:00 in the morning we were sliding down the stairs in cardboard boxes until one of my roomates threw up on the wall. Both he and another roomate went to bed at about 3:30 AM. But there were still two of us who were up with energy, so we decided to tie our flatmate's door handles together with a bit of garden hose. We then started pounding on their doors that it was time to wake up - and since the doors both opened inwards they got into a hysterical tug of war match that I will never forget.

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
My kids are still little so I have a way to go before that time, but I have a feeling I'll be the same way, Tess.

My first place was technically the apartment I had when I went to college, although I was only about an hour away so I came home pretty often. It was pretty nice other than there was no dishwasher so all my dishes were done by hand. But, with just me living there that was not too bad. It was a single apartment building, not a complex, I think it had 10 units, or maybe 12. They were actually 2-bedroom apartments but the owner hadn't leased this last one out yet and classes were about to start so he leased it to me as a one-bedroom and just locked the second bedroom up. So, it was pretty spacious just for little ol' me. And it was clean and everything was in good repair, much better than some of the others we had looked at. But the carpet was brown and patterned. Pretty ugly...

I had good neighbors though.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
My first apartment was when I moved from Eastern Washington to Seattle and I wound up in a little studio apartment next to a steel mill that was there. I was working graveyard shift at the time so it was a bit noisy from the mill and from the neighborhood kids who liked to play by my window. It was so very small, that it was about the size of my current bedroom in our 3 bedroom apartment we just moved into. It didn't even have an oven. It had a counter-top stove but I had to buy a toaster oven just to do anything up remotely that needed an oven. But it was mine and it felt good to be on my own.

We have 3 kids and the oldest should be potentially moving out in about 5 years or so. With the way things go, who knows what will happen but she is very independent and I think she might just do it. The two boys, on the other hand, I'm not so sure about. :D

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Today, 23:15
It was my husband that was distraught when my daughter left, taking with her our first grandson. That was 13 years ago. I thought I had nothing better to do than to "regain" our lives, but when ever we stayed out too late we'd get home, she'd be sitting there asking "where the hell have you been? I've been trying to phone you and I'm worried sick!"

13 years later she is now in her third house, third relationship and has her third child, yet, our spare room (in a house she has never lived in) still gets referred to as "my room". when the kids sleep over she tells them they are sleeping in their mums room...

They don't need to live under the same roof to be close, that never, ever leaves. You'll be just fine Tess.

By the way, a belated happy birthday xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom