The Advance of Big Brother Into Everyday Life (1 Viewer)

Cotswold

Local time
Today, 09:59
The other week UPS came with a parcel for me and wanted to take my photo’, which I refused and put my hand in front of the camera. I then realised later that this wasn’t the first time. They may well have the camera ready as you open the door and take it as the first operation.

Today Royal Mail came with a parcel for next door and I suspect that she secretly took the photo with the camera under her clipboard before I covered the camera with the card I had ready? I of course agreed to take the parcel. She then said she wanted my date of birth! So I told her definitely no and she took the parcel back.

I don’t know about anyone else but I find this new development somewhat insidious and intrusive.

ebs17

Local time
Today, 10:59
The advantage of the photo could be that you can get your package while walking in the park, far from your address.
Don't you have an implanted identification chip yet?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:59
With more people ordering online, I'm sure there is more theft with people reporting that they never got the package and the photo of who received the package will go a long way toward preventing that. One of the carriers takes a picture of where they left the package and send me that in their delivery email. I sent a gift to my brother last year and I called him the next day when I hadn't heard he got it. Turns out it was delivered to a neighbor. Totally my fault. He had moved in the complex and I hadn't updated his mailing address to the new uint with the vendor. So, he went to the neighbor to tell them it was delivered to them by mistake. They claimed they never got it - scum bags. They just opened it and ate it themselves.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
I got my Quest3 delivered by UPS a couple weeks ago. I have the UPS app on my phone and when it was delivered I got a notification which included a Proof of delivery photo. I like the idea.

Cotswold

Local time
You won't believe this but after all that, we then went out in the car an hour later and Royal Mail had left the parcel on the doorstep next door!
So a photo and DOB required to take in the parcel but otherwise it is totally acceptable just to leave it where a passer by can take it.

It all makes total sense.

But I'm with AccessBlaster (#2) on this and the next time I go into town I'll get a mask. I was thinking maybe one of those white ones they used in the 1995 movie Heat.

Last edited:

Cotswold

Local time
I do love the hyprocasy of it though. We don't need voter ID to vote but we need it to receive a package:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
In Britain since this year we now need photo ID to vote in addition to the named and address voting card.

I have asked several pointless bureaucrats exactly why this is necessary but never get a response. The last time I voted my ID was inspected by a pompous twerp who clearly believed he should perform as the stereotyped East German border guard. I just couldn't help laughing out loud at at just how pathetic and ridiculous he was.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Civil servants can be officious. In the US, we use volunteers in the poling sites. They can also be officious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom