Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:53
What is your view?

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 15:53
The legality should not be the question. This comes down to tolerance!

I'm the wrong guy to ask because I seem to enjoy to "Stuck On Stupid" stuff too much

• Haha
Reactions: Jon

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I posted this specific question because of something I saw recently and I will drop the link if this topic gets traction.

An alternative title I thought of was, "Trolling or freedom of expression?"

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:53
Trolling isn't a matter of legality, it is a matter of manners. Unfortunately, in the USA, we can't kill trolls; we can only relocate them to under-bridge apartments.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
My reply word be Freedom of Expression. Problem is, some folks that means freedom from consequences as well...

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
What is Trolling? We have a perception of Trolling, we perceive Trolling as bad, but really the motivation of the people that do it is attention seeking, and we all crave attention to various degrees, so in one sense we are all Trolls!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:53
Uncle Gizmo... there is BEER? WHERE? But it doesn't matter anyway. With my wonky liver, I can't drink alcohol any more.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
What is Trolling? We have a perception of Trolling, we perceive Trolling as bad, but really the motivation of the people that do it is attention seeking, and we all crave attention to various degrees, so in one sense we are all Trolls!
Did you just say that to get a bit of attention? Or have I just trolled?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Hey Uncle, I've just noticed. I think we have the answer in your signature!

Intolerance of others’ views (no matter how ignorant or incoherent they may be) is not simply wrong; in a World where there is no right or wrong, it is worse: it is a sign you are embarrassingly unsophisticated or, possibly, dangerous.

Are you saying that trolling is not right or wrong, and therefore should be legal? Or is JP just trolling others by calling them unsophisticated?

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Yes it should be legal. However, they should be required to meet you in the rink for 3 rounds at 3 minutes each. After that if they still feel they should troll you then they are obviously better men than you.

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Are you saying that trolling is not right or wrong, and therefore should be legal? Or is JP just trolling others by calling them unsophisticated?

Jon, earlier you mentioned that you never know what a persons childhood was like, you never know what strategies they have developed to protect themselves. You also point to Jordan Peterson's quote in my signature. I think the link is that we are in danger of not talking as in "listening" to others. It is very easy to place someone into a category, and from that category derive a complete understanding of that person, construct reasons why you should not interact with them, why you should dismiss them as irrelevant, mad, unworthy... Only by talking/exchanging to/with people can you you break this. If you banish people, then you also disconnect.

After Thought...
How can communicating be wrong or a legal? Some people are rude, some people are wrong, some people wind you up accidentally, some deliberately. It doesn't mean that they should be banished from communicating. If that was the case you would lose the vast majority of your politicians overnight!

Reactions: Jon

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
If you label something, it is not a truth but a snapshot of your particular perspective at that point in time. A Buddhist would argue that nothing is static, everything changes and evolves all the time. I always had a little mental construct I like to bring out of the hat sometimes. Consider sequence. A person rushes to save a child from an oncoming car, risking their life. "What a hero!! What a great guy!" Next week, he chops the head off his neighbours hampster. (I don't know why I find that funny. I'm not a psychopath! :ROFLMAO:)"The brute they cry!"

Consider the switcheroo. A guy chops the head off his neighbours hampster (again I'm chuckling and I don't know why! :ROFLMAO:), "The nasty man!" Next week he risks his life to save a child. "He is still nasty. See what he did last week?"

The point being that if you do the bad thing first, you are always bad, but if you do the good thing first, you are good, then bad!

Edit: Who defines rude?

Last edited:

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Hmm, yep, trolling should be made illegal as I have never seen a harmless troll.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Hmm, yep, trolling should be made illegal as I have never seen a harmless troll.
Cars harm the environment. Shall we ban those too? When I go for a walk, I crush insects. Those poor blighters! Shall I stay off the grass? I hate harming anything, even trolls.
All of us define rude. Usually by example.
Are examples of rudeness defined differently between Republicans and Democrats? i.e. is there an objective classification of what is rude or is it always subjective? And if it is subjective, who defines the standard if 50% agree, and 50% disagree?

A guy opens the door for a lady. He thinks it is chivalrous. "I am a Gentleman!", he chirps. The lady thanks him for his politeness! The same guy decides to open the door next time for a different lady. "How rude" she screams! "You are a sexist pig!"

Next time he encounters the door, he rips the bloody thing off its hinges!

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
He was executed for using the Socratic method. I fear the same thing might happen to me! (our posts crossed, see new one above yours)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom