Show Tables in query design not working (1 Viewer)

Bobp3114

Local time
Today, 23:30
Hi,
For this particular database, in query design mode I right click to bring up the menu, the click on "Show Tables" and nothing happens...no sign of the list of tables that normally appear to the right. This has only recently occurred...Could I have changed something in File..Options? Thanks Bob

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:30
Which version of Access are you using? Can you post a screenshot of the whole window?

Bobp3114

Local time
I am using Access 2010
Screenshot.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 127

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 20:30
is the db already an .accde?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
What happens when you click on the Add Table button on the Ribbon?

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
No ...accdb
Do you have two or more monitors? Is the Add table box popping up in one of the other windows? I've encountered that problem from time to time, in fact.

Bobp3114

Local time
What happens when you click on the Add Table button on the Ribbon?
Not a thing. I have tried the same Database on another computer...same result. I have opened another (different) database on this machine and it works perfectly...so I assume it is only this database and not a problem with the machine or software (Access)

Bobp3114

Local time
Do you have two or more monitors? Is the Add table box popping up in one of the other windows? I've encountered that problem from time to time, in fact.
I have tried the same Database on another computer...same result. I have opened another (different) database on this machine and it works perfectly...so I assume it is only this database and not a problem with the machine or software (Access)

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
"... I assume it is only this database..."

I assume you already confirmed the same behavior occurs when creating a new query or when editing an existing query?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:30
And I presume you have tried right clicking on the graphical part of the query window and selecting 'Show Table'
image_2022-06-08_003142514.png

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
So, if a compact and repair doesn't do the trick, we're left with scouting the Access environment for that pesky dialog.

Seriously, I'm not at all convinced it is NOT opening. It may well be opening in a position that is either below or to the right of the main window or in minimized state you can't detect. It's not the Access development environment itself; you confirmed that.

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 21:30
I hesitated to post this, hoping someone find what's happening. Maybe it's better to post my story on this too.

I had this problem a while back. Only one query didn't show the list of tables. Other queries in the same database were just fine.
It was killing me and I decided to do something about it.
I opened a query that was OK in design view and selected show tables from the context menu.
While the list of tables were shown, I right clicked the query in problem, and opened it in design view. Right clicked and selected Show Tables. Apparently nothing happens. Then closed the first (good query) leaving the list of tables to be opened. (didn't close the list of tables)
Then closed the query in problem (again leaving the list of tables open)
As the last step I closed the list tables.

Now if I open the query in question, and select Show tables, everything is just fine.

Seriously, I'm not at all convinced it is NOT opening.
I can't talk for the OP, but in my situation, I have a four monitor set up. Even if I spread the window across all four monitors, it didn't show up.
And one more point. If it's out of screen, why only for one query or for one database. The window that shows the list of tables, stays at the same position where you close it last and doesn't change its position per queries.

Bobp3114

Local time
In my instance the problem exists in all queries in the one database, even when creating a new query. I can get around the problem by dragging a table from the navigation pane on the left hand side. Since the development of this database is on going (bosses keep coming up with new requests), I would love to solve the problem. By the way the problem exists in the latest up date to the server..I work remotely
Thanks for the continuing support
Bob

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 21:30
@Bobp3114

Can you test this?
In a database that shows the list of tables, open a query in design view, right click and select Show Tables. Double click the title bar of the window that opens and contains the list of tables. This makes the window to dock to the left side of Access, its default position.

Now close all open databases and open the one you have problem. If you open a query in design view and select Show Table from context menu, does it show up?

Bobp3114

Local time
@Bobp3114

Can you test this?
In a database that shows the list of tables, open a query in design view, right click and select Show Tables. Double click the title bar of the window that opens and contains the list of tables. This makes the window to dock to the left side of Access, its default position.

Now close all open databases and open the one you have problem. If you open a query in design view and select Show Table from context menu, does it show up?
Tried this just now...pane stays to the right...physically moved it to the centre... made no difference

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:30
I doubt it, but could it be hidden off the screen somewhere? Do you have scroll bars on the form when that happens?
It is supposed to be there on A2010, I presume?

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
I don't recall your answer to the number of monitors you use. Also, what size and resolution the monitor(s) would be.

However, there can be issues with large monitors and dual monitors. Access isn't designed to handle the large high-resolution monitors common these days. So, if you have multiple monitors, one thing to try would be to unplug all but the main monitor to troubleshoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom