Solved Split String (1 Viewer)

tmyers

Local time
Today, 02:52
I need a little assistance in coming up with a formula to split a string apart based on length. This is part of a module to export a recordset to an Excel file template for import into my companies system.

Code:
If IsNull("Description") then
    'do nothing'
Else
    If Len("Description") > 60 then
        'split string'
    End if
End if

My field has a cap of 60 characters, so if the threshold is reached, I need to split the string into a second row but I obviously don't want to cut words in half, so I need to back track to the first space or " " and split the string there. I am very bad when it comes to using string functions (len, left, right, etc) as I dont have much experience with them.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:52
Check out this other thread.

tmyers

Local time
That looks like it will have the answer for this thanks!

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 07:52
I am very bad when it comes to using string functions (len, left, right, etc) as I dont have much experience with them.
Well they do say practice makes perfect? :)

tmyers

Local time
Well they do say practice makes perfect? :)
Indeed it does!
The main problem I was grappling with was not cutting words into pieces but am reading that thread now. I like the module JDraw shared. The one I currently use to deal with strings that are too long doesnt care about cutting words apart as that is just how it is done in the system I am importing into for this field.
Code:
    If Len(rs("CatalogNo")) > 60 Then
        vCatalog = Left(rs("CatalogNo"), 60)
        vDesc = Mid(rs("CatalogNo"), 61)
    End If

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 07:52
Well you could always just concatenate them back together again for display, and no one would any the wiser?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom