SQL ODBC Driver (1 Viewer)

Waxmann

Local time
Today, 06:59
I have an Access 2007 application that uses the SQL ODBC driver. When setting up the connection to the sql db, there is a check box that says 'Use trusted connection'. If I check that box, package the application, and run on a new (different) WIN10 computer it will not allow the applications query to run (error 2950).
If I uncheck the box, package the application (second version), and run on a new (different) WIN10 computer it works!

Now if I run the second version on the WIN10 computer that has the SQL db local, it will not allow the applications query to run (error 2950).
If I run the first version (Use trusted connection checked) it works!

How can I have one version that runs on both computers?
SQL server login.JPG

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:59
Do you use the same network credentials on both computers?

Waxmann

Local time
Do you use the same network credentials on both computers?
Yes, I'm also using the same ODBC driver (WIN - Admin - ODBC Data Sources) The only thing changing is the application version. One uses the checkbox, one doesn't

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yes, I'm also using the same ODBC driver (WIN - Admin - ODBC Data Sources) The only thing changing is the application version. One uses the checkbox, one doesn't
What is the error message for error 2950?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:59
Use trusted connection means that access will pass your windows domain login from the machine in use through to SQL Server.
SQL server will then use that domain login to authenticate against the domain server, and if the domain user is in a group on the SQL server that has access or the user is a named user in the database they will gain access to the server.

If you don't tick the box you would have to enter your credentials every time or it will fail.

Waxmann

Local time
OK, first - not on a domain - Simple peer to peer.
Second, the issue occurs on the computer with the SQL db. Not checking 'Use secure... 'causes the error.

On the other client computer, Not checking 'Use secure... ' allows the connection.

There is a screen that will allow Access to save the password. If you do not check it, you will have to enter password every time
SavePassword.JPG

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
I have an Access 2007 application that uses the SQL ODBC driver. When setting up the connection to the sql db, there is a check box that says 'Use trusted connection'. If I check that box, package the application, and run on a new (different) WIN10 computer it will not allow the applications query to run (error 2950).
If I uncheck the box, package the application (second version), and run on a new (different) WIN10 computer it works!

Now if I run the second version on the WIN10 computer that has the SQL db local, it will not allow the applications query to run (error 2950).
If I run the first version (Use trusted connection checked) it works!

How can I have one version that runs on both computers?
View attachment 97333
OK, first - not on a domain - Simple peer to peer.
Second, the issue occurs on the computer with the SQL db. Not checking 'Use secure... 'causes the error.

On the other client computer, Not checking 'Use secure... ' allows the connection.

There is a screen that will allow Access to save the password. If you do not check it, you will have to enter password every time

Okay, then, you CAN'T use Windows Authentication for the second computer because you have no Windows Domain to authenticate with.

It works on the first computer, I'll bet, because that's the one where the SQL Server instance is also installed. Correct?

The credentials passed via Windows Auth are those you use to log on to that computer. You'll have to connect to the SQL Server instance from the second peer-to-peer computer, using SQL Auth with a SQL Server Login and password.

That said, a recent blog article on NoLongerSet describes a way to use Windows Auth, but I didn't really try it out. See if you can make that work for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom