States? (1 Viewer)

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:41
Just a simple question - why do americans (see the intro thread) use their state to tell people where they are from.

Like Dallas Texas.

Is it cos place names are so duplicated, or that they hold a particular thing for their state., or something else. Patriotic with both State and Country?

Its the new year lets see how this thread goes. Judging by the the "Anyone finding it financially ...." I'm not convinced it will go so well.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Its the new year lets see how this thread goes. Judging by the the "Anyone finding it financially ...." I'm not convinced it will go so well.

You are repeating yourself :D

It is a pity that some posters get so upset when others challenge their views and/or disagree with them.

On topic I think that they are being helpful in avoiding ambiguity due to possible duplicates as you suggested whereas some are arrogant enough to think that everybody knows where merseyside is, or that if we say Liverpool it must be Liverpool UK.

Brian

Edit I have just noticed that I did say Merseyside England, are well the concept still holds.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
You are repeating yourself :D

It is a pity that some posters get so upset when others challenge their views and/or disagree with them.

On topic I think that they are being helpful in avoiding ambiguity due to possible duplicates as you suggested whereas some are arrogant enough to think that everybody knows where merseyside is, or that if we say Liverpool it must be Liverpool UK.

Brian

Edit I have just noticed that I did say Merseyside England, are well the concept still holds.

I'll await an answer from someone who descibes their whereabouts including the state. Your guessing as much as me.

I know noone who describes where they come from as Merseyside. Maybe country maybe town, or largest conurbation , rarely county. Maybe more rural counties.

I mean, Dallas Texas doesnt need explaining generally does it? On the Liverpool thing - I dont hear Liverpool Merseyside, or Liverpool NSW or even Liverpool England etc

ie a place the speaker generally gives one place they think you know or is relevant - then if clarification is needed its futher defined.

I'm thinking more of a kinship with the actually state may be at play!

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
You may be correct on the kinship issue, especially with Texas, but you also have to allow for the size of the US and the duplicity of names as you mentioned, I don't know if there is another Dallas but there are umpteen Jamestowns.

Merseyside is as valid as saying Devon or Essex etc

Brian

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
You may be correct on the kinship issue, especially with Texas, but you also have to allow for the size of the US and the duplicity of names as you mentioned, I don't know if there is another Dallas but there are umpteen Jamestowns.

Merseyside is as valid as saying Devon or Essex etc

Brian

If its accurate theres nothing less valid about anything.

I'm just wondering why people choose to say it as they do. Devon maybe could be said fairly regularly as Devon - but not placename and then Devon in one hit.
I woukd say Essex is generally given as a town. Though TOWIE may have changed that.

It never town and then Essex.

Americans tend to give two bites at the cherry!

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Ok let's wait a response from them rather than continue to try and second guess, but I think it's a size issue, he adds wanting the last word. :D

Brian

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Guessing - also - but I would suggest it's because of a certain level of insularity. Not through ignorance but because of the size of the country. With 70% of its citizens not having a passport, they will probably need some way to identify each other where they are from. Why say Dallas, USA - when most haven't been out of the USA - when they can say Dallas, Texas and give a bit more of a flavour of themself. Plus, being a nation built by settlers from all walks headed in all directions, duplication of place names is everywhere so offering the state's name provides a bit of clarity.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
I would say Mile-O is about right.

You say your home-town and to clarify, the state of that town.

If you don't know where that town is at least you have a vague idea whereabouts in the country they are, from the state.

Not putting the country at the end I guess is just a case of not breaking out of this pattern for the benefit of people not from the US.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 10:41
There are a lot of duplications in city names. I'm from Jacksonville, FL, but I know there exists a Jacksonville, TX, Jacksonville, NC, etc... This is to clarify exactly where I am from. Because of duplication in city names, it wouldn't be enough to just say Jacksonville, USA. I don't believe it's necessarily kinship to one's state, but more to identify exactly where my location is a little more accurately.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
The reason for wanting to know where somebody lives is so that we can know the time difference and therefore judge when they may be on to reply to any clarification of their posts in the techie area, I realise that that does not apply to all posters.

Brian

Vassago

Local time
That would be another good reason for us to include the state. I understand that not everyone on here will necessarily know the states and recognize them as being USA. I think majority would.

I always find it interesting when people ONLY post cities. Someone unfamiliar with your country/state may not necessarily know exactly where you are from.

I've considered just changing mine to Camelot. :D

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 07:41
By the way, there is a Dallas, Oregon (and I'm sure that there are others out there). For example, Springfield has quite a few states with one there. And for my city, Portland, there is also Portland, Maine.

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:41
The President goes and meets the troops, and asks each one, "Where are you from" receives an answer then moves onto the next soldier.

So he asks for information, then prompty ignores the Answer. If he was not really concerned with the answer why did he ask the question in the first place.

And just for clarification for our American friends, there are Countries other than the US.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
There must be a reason for Rain's post but it escapes me.

Brian

RainLover

Local time
There must be a reason for Rain's post but it escapes me.

Brian,

I am not sure if this is one of those POME v Convict situations or not. But I will treat your statement with respect.

The question originally asked is "Why do Americans always use their City & State to describe where they are from"

I used a little licence to alter the discussion and therefore posted an answer that was confusing to you.

The point I attempted to raise was that where an American lives is redundant. No one cares where they live. I attempted to explain this in my Presidential analogy.

It is only important to the person who is being asked.

It is an ingenious question to which it receives an insignificant answer.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Far to deep for this old geezer, however I have explained a couple of posts earlier why I think it is helpful to know where people live, so I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Edit see post 12

Brian

RainLover

Local time
I have no desire to disagree with you.

Displaying one's Location can be very helpful.

I guess that is why we both do so.

Thus we are in agreement.

My posts were never intended to disagree with you.

Vassago

Local time
I have no desire to disagree with you.

Displaying one's Location can be very helpful.

I guess that is why we both do so.

Thus we are in agreement.

My posts were never intended to disagree with you.

If it's helpful, then why isn't it helpful if they are American? :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom