States? (1 Viewer)

tehNellie

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:12
It is difficult to understand another person's feelings, beliefs, wants, desires or political attitudes until you have walked a mile in their shoes.
On the plus side you'll be a mile away from them AND you'll have their shoes :D

I have never heard any political party or group here in the UK complain that the BBC generally (rather than single one off topic) isnt as impartial as we could reasonable hope it to be.
Both main political parties quite regularly claim that the BBC hates them, that's how I know they're doing their job :)

There's no such thing.
Perhaps, what you can't do here is run a piece of analysis on some government plan, for example, and present a purely one sided view of it as Fox News, for example, is sometimes guilty of.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Given the alternative in the UK are tabloids, the BBC probably does look pretty good. The bar is not very high...

Before this goes off topic, it's no better in the states, the monster is simply a different color...

you are correct the uk tabloids are a disgrace as are most of the other papers too.
They will print anything ignoring the facts to sell a paper, even outside of the obviuos bias of each editorial team.

Its easier to print lies and rubbish than be honest and impartial unfortunately.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Can you give me an example, maybe an online link?

I dont know what you mean what kind of link I can post? I think the BBC tries and largely succeeds as being generally neutral.

It fails occasional too. But thats inevitable, theres no such thing as neutral always yes, but it tries and does OK at it.

KenHigg

Local time
Yesterday, 21:12
A link to a political story on BBC that you feel is neutral. That is what you are basing your argument on, isn't it?

KenHigg

Local time
My intent was not to bash the BBC, it's probably the best in the world and I’m glad you Brits are footing the bill. I was just trying to reel it in a few notches from Col's 'Excellent'...

KenHigg

Local time
you are correct the uk tabloids are a disgrace as are most of the other papers too.
They will print anything ignoring the facts to sell a paper, even outside of the obviuos bias of each editorial team.

Its easier to print lies and rubbish than be honest and impartial unfortunately.

Has it ever crossed anyone's mind that maybe the Queen, or who ever runs the country, allows, maybe even sanctions these tabloids in order to make the BBC look relatively noble?

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 11:12
Americans are ignorant of the world.

In school they learn about Christopher Columbus but would have no idea who James Cook was. But that is a blight on their education system.

Communist countries do the same thing and only teach what they want the masses to know.

So let's not blame the individuals American as they are only products of their education system

Colin, although your post was very funny, you know as well as I do that most Pomies don't travel. I have seen on the ABC reports that most Poms don't travel more than 20 miles from their home town, no matter how appealing an Itallian Cruise may seem.

Last edited:

KenHigg

Local time
James who? Why clutter the mind with useless facts?

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
A link to a political story on BBC that you feel is neutral. That is what you are basing your argument on, isn't it?

I dont think youve grasped the concept. Here a link to the woods
www.bbc.co.uk

If you want to check individual trees to see which way they lean go ahead.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Has it ever crossed anyone's mind that maybe the Queen, or who ever runs the country, allows, maybe even sanctions these tabloids in order to make the BBC look relatively noble?
If you put as much effort into landscaping as you do into your jealousy of the queen(god bless her) and the BBC, you'd be worth a fortune:p

greenear

Registered User.
Local time
theNellie said:
If they're still around in 2016 I think there will be some major changse to the BBC, The Tories are very much in Murdoch's pocket and he really doesn't like the beeb.
Urgh. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Makes me want to stay in bed all day...
ok, that's a bit over the top :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
You see, in the UK if we want sunshine, we go to Greece, Spain or Italy. If we want ghastly garlic ridden food, we go to France, if we want to get beaten up, we go to Glasgow on a staturday night, if we want to swim in the Italian clear waters, we go on an Italian cruise ship. Whereas, in the USA you have it all on your doorstep within one country.
What the US does not have, at least in the context of many European, Asia, or African countries, is a longer sense of history that is interesting. Plus, given that it's originally an immigrant nation, there must surely be the desire to find out where ancestors came from, whether it be in search of a better life, through persecution, or pre-emancipation. You don't always have your roots or the past on your doorstep.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Plus, given that it's originally an immigrant nation, there must surely be the desire to find out where ancestors came from, whether it be in search of a better life, through persecution, or pre-emancipation.

I've often wondered why the American love affair with the UK is unrequited. Perhaps you've touched on the answer.

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 11:12
Anyone who believes that Newspapers and/or Journalist are not bias must also believe in the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, Santa Clause and that some Guy was born a couple of centuries ago from a Virgin.

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Anyone who believes that Newspapers and/or Journalist are not bias must also believe in the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, Santa Clause and that some Guy was born a couple of centuries ago from a Virgin.

Indeed. The BBC may have a remit not to be biased in any direction, but that's because it's at the heart of the nation. Media plurality for all pure commerical activities is encouraged, hence why bias is required. At the same time, it generates a need to get one's news from various sources in order to fully appreciate a situation.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
All organizations need good circulation/traffic to survive whether or not they are regulated to be non-biased. This causes all output to be "spun" for the benefit of viewing figures.

It might be interesting to note that viewing the bbc website from the US, I am subjected to the banner ads, though I guess I'm not paying any fee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom