Suggest a movie to watch (1 Viewer)

deletedT

Local time
Today, 18:11
We streamed Hatari! recently. Not a great movie by any means. But interesting in the techniques they used to use to catch the animals for the zoo. Also reading up about the movie. They did not use stuntmen for the scenes where they were capturing the animals. John Wayne was really riding of the front of that truck!!!. Also there is a scene where a rhino is loose. That actually happened when filming and they kept as part of the movie.
Recently I'm going through old movies . Most of what I watch, belongs to a time that I'm not even born. I recently watched:

A Patch of Blue (1965)
My Man Godfrey (1936)
A Raisin In The Sun (1961)
How To Murder Your Wife (1965)

I added your suggestion to watch this weekend.
Thanks.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Not a movie, but a series. I've started watching "Raised by Wolves", by Ridley Scott. He has done some amazing films, such as Blade Runner. This is also a sci-fi thing. Liking it so far, after a bit of a slow start. Good if you like androids!

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:11
Finally watched 1917 last week. A lot of dead bodies (not for the kids). I do not know how accurate the film is. But it is pretty dramatic. I glad I did not have to go through WWI.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Finally watched 1917 last week. A lot of dead bodies (not for the kids). I do not know how accurate the film is. But it is pretty dramatic. I glad I did not have to go through WWI.
I've seen that too. Thought it was well done. I was surprised when...urgghhh, I won't ruin it for anyone else. No spoilers here.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 14:11
I've seen that too. Thought it was well done. I was surprised when...urgghhh, I won't ruin it for anyone else. No spoilers here.
Watched it as everyone else we were visiting wanted to watch it. I had been avoiding it as one of my pet peeves with movies is time compression. The movie was well done, but for all that activity to occur in 24hrs was ludicrous. Made it hard for me to watch as my disbelief was enormous. However, there was a redeeming note as the credits scrolled by stating that the story-line was really weaved together from on a series of incidents.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:11
I think they did an amazing job of being "inside" a video game.

What I think was a lot of fun of J:tNL was the "body switch" and having to do your character one way - then another. And having Danny DeVito's accent as part of the characterization makes the job doubly difficult. Like I have said, Dwayne Johnson might not be the best actor in the world but he is willing to try some difficult roles. Even for the attempt, I respect him.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Lockdown binge watching.

I'm watching "Justified"

Excellent Series on Amazon Prime:-

In series 2, an old bank robber does one last job... Hilarious!

Most episodes leave me with a big grin on my face!

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
We are getting into Wanda Vision on Disney+. A lot going on behind the scenes with that series.

tmyers

Local time
I just finished re-watching the 4 seasons of Spartacus on Amazon.
Looking for something else to watch now.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
For some reason, the two movies listed below popped into my head this AM. Please be advised, that I am listing them because of the political backdrop that you will find relevant today.

Roller Ball (1975)
The year is 2018 in a futuristic society where corporations have replaced countries. A violent futuristic game known as Rollerball is the recreational sport of the world, with teams representing various areas. One player, Jonathan E., fights for his personal freedom and threatens the corporate control. (emphasis added)

Demolition Man (1993)
A better-than-average sci-fi shoot-em-up with a satirical undercurrent, Demolition Man is bolstered by strong performances by Sylvester Stallone, Wesley Snipes, and Sandra Bullock. (emphasis added)

Since posting a third movie came to mind.
The Confession (1970)
In 1950s communist Czechoslovakia, government minister Artur London (Yves Montand), a war veteran who has long been a loyal party man, leads a relatively comfortable life with wife, Lise (Simone Signoret). However, he soon finds himself under surveillance, then under arrest. He has no idea what his offense is, but agents for the totalitarian regime interrogate and torture him, aiming to use their unending power to gain a false confession for supposed crimes against the state.

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Just finished watching "Let The Right One In" (2008on Amazon Prime. Great movie, with two child stars. It is subtitled, which I never usually watch because I can't be bothered to read everything while missing the scenes. But there was less dialogue in this movie. It is a romance horror between two 12 year olds, and is of the vampire genre. Sounds quite bizarre but interested to know if anyone else has watched it.

Last edited:

onur_can

Local time
I propose you a very good movie. If you haven't, I highly recommend watching it.
The Land of Dreams, which the viewers and critics of this film mentioned as very valuable in this field, is a must-watch movie for anyone who believes that dreams and dreams can come true.

Field Of Dreams - 1990
Plot of the movie:
Lowland farmer Ray Kinsella (Kevin Costner) decides to pursue a dream he always believes in, under the spell of some words from around. With his wife Annie (Amy Madigan) supporting him, Ray begins rebuilding his field to make his dreams come true.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Thank you for that recommendation. I have only seen bits and pieces of it accidentally throughout the years. I am in the mood for a feel good inspiration movie and may watch it in the next few days!

conception_native_0123

Local time
Today, 13:11
Thank you for that recommendation. I have only seen bits and pieces of it accidentally throughout the years. I am in the mood for a feel good inspiration movie and may watch it in the next few days!
The field is up for sale the last time I heard way over there in the state of Iowa I think

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
The field is up for sale the last time I heard way over there in the state of Iowa I think
Interesting. You never know when calm farmland may become highly coveted!

My grandparents (who I never met, but I am told) lived in Crystal Lake, IL. This is one of those places that, back in the 40's and 50's, and even 80's, was just blue collar farmland. Over the years, Chicago's influence (1 hr away) became greater and greater. By the time she died, her "farm" (long since not used as such) was worth exponentially more $ than anyone would have expected.

Then in my (current) home town of the greater metro Phoenix area, I've seen so much farmland in the outer portions of the metro become quickly turned into development. Once we left to live in another state and came back after a year--and 2-3 miles of farmland had already been turned into a private school, gas stations and apartments!

Honestly, buying undeveloped land on the outer edge of a metro area that you know is rapidly expanding is probably a great investment just give it time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom