Suggest a movie to watch (2 Viewers)

conception_native_0123

Local time
Today, 05:19
Yes that is true that is why the largest Chinese cities are now nothing but cities and they used to be farmland. China has no farmland anymore!

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 03:19
The slow but sure elimination of unskilled jobs seems inevitable, alongside continued technological advances of any given nation.
Fewer jobs in menial labor, more jobs in technology. Or is that not true, since technologies will always depend on the next wave of manufacturing, which will inherently be low-tech at the early & mid stages?

I guess the important question just becomes how we manage that new economy..

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Honestly, buying undeveloped land on the outer edge of a metro area that you know is rapidly expanding is probably a great investment just give it time.

I'm the guy who would do that, and the town would expand in the opposite direction. 🤬

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
My grandmother bought a dozen properties around New Orleans during the great depression, mostly tax sales. My dad and his brothers managed to get rid of eleven of them. I'm stuck with one that NOBODY wants. In over 30 years, I've had one call and when they guy found out where it was, he backed out.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 06:19
"The Tender Bar" - not a bad way to spend the evening. The soundtrack is on par with Guardians of the Galaxy. Watch it, you can thank me later...

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Recently watched 'The Power of the Dog'. Very good movie. I was not sure I would like or not considering how mean the main character was toward other people. Interesting twist toward the end.

laracroft

Local time
Today, 12:19
You know, when I don't know what to watch, I just type in the search - Best movies and the result comes out or according to the recommendations of friends.

I can definitely recommend Kissing Girls, Double Miscalculation, Descent in Two Parts, The Tourist, The Invisible Guest, Shawshank Redemption, and On the Wave Break, 9 and a half weeks. I've watched a lot but can't recall quickly.

cassaaaauu

Local time
Today, 12:19
I usually watch movies on the recommendations of acquaintances or friends. For me, this is a better chance to see, because these options are definitely good. I've rewatched many movies, but you won't remember so quickly which ones were better, because in general they are all good in their own way.
For example, I like to watch movies based on real events, such as Frozen, Zodiac, The Girl on the Train, Prisoners, Illusion of Flight.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
why did he back out?

Regarding the property, when the potential buyer found out that even I (who owns it) couldn't find it, he realized it was in a really desolate part of the city. It is in a failed subdivision. When my grandmother bought it in the mid-1930s, the subdivision was still considered viable, still being developed. However, a combination of unfortunate events (including an intervening war and some hurricanes before the city had improved flood control) led to the developer going bankrupt. The subdivision has never been revisited and now, when I put in the address, even Google Maps can't find it. That subdivision is no longer on the books.

We had to find it in the 1970s because the city was trying to levy a cleanup tax. The only way my father and I found it (so we could try to clean off the debris) was because he had a realtor friend who had old maps from a time when the subdivision was still on the books. Eventually, there was so much pushback from other land owners that the city relented and granted my father (who was over 65 at the time) an exemption. Now, it is in an area that makes me hesitate to even want to go there. Among other things, it certainly would have been flooded after Hurricane Katrina, not that there was anything to damage - because it was a vacant lot. It is in an isolated and relatively uninhabited area of the city. It is also in a violent part of the city. If I went, I would have to worry about accidentally finding a body or something equally grotesque. Granny had the right idea 11 times - but the twelfth plot of land was a real clinker.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:19
Friend of mine inherited some land a couple years ago. It was something like 20,000 acres in one of the Dakotas that her great grandfather bought for pennies back in 1902. The family had leased it out to farmers over the years and a few months ago she sold about 1/4 of the land for $1.8 million. Nice to have relatives with a little forethought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom