Synchronization Lecture Pls. (1 Viewer)

jepoysaipan

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:41
Hi Guys,

I need all the help, again a non-profit org. asked me to create a DB that can house information to all its clients. But the catch is that some staff needs to go on-field service and needs the DB for editing and/or adding new records.

I never tried replication & synchronization so it's a new thing to me, all of them has Access 2007.

I did some research and found out that replicas works well on .mdb, if possible can I use .accd or any 2007 DB format to synch/replicate DB?

Your thorough and generosity will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

pkstormy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:41
I personally wouldn't recommend Replication. (although David on this forum would disagree). My experience with replication has always been problematic, especially if working with large recordsets (where I'd highly discourage replication.)

I've used different techniques for data on the road (with no connection) in the past. Including entering data on palm pilots and then an import routine in the mdb or actually designing import/export routines in the mdb itself to transfer the data when connected. If it's a fairly simple relationship schematic (ie. you don't have dozens of linked tables), this would be fairly easy.

But now days, it's fairly cheap to get an AT&T or 'connect from anywhere' type of USB key for laptops on the road which I would highly recommend. Having user's connect (either via terminal server, citrix, or vpn) to the main mdb itself on the network drive, would be preferred.

HiTechCoach

Local time
Hi Guys,

I need all the help, again a non-profit org. asked me to create a DB that can house information to all its clients. But the catch is that some staff needs to go on-field service and needs the DB for editing and/or adding new records.

I never tried replication & synchronization so it's a new thing to me, all of them has Access 2007.

I did some research and found out that replicas works well on .mdb, if possible can I use .accd or any 2007 DB format to synch/replicate DB?

Your thorough and generosity will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

see

Remote access for an Access Application

jepoysaipan

Registered User.
Local time
@pkstormy & HiTechCoach,

Thanks for your insights, I wanted to do remote connection but the problem is their budget, as I've said they are non-profit org. and a budget for remote access is off the table for now.

I do appreciate it much if can give me insight on the other possibility of updating the back-end. I'm out of thoughts right now coz this requirement kills me every hour.

Thanks!

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:41
personally, i think i agree with pkstormy

the simplest solution is definitely to try and consider a way of doing this that avoids the need for replication. Why do the field guys need EVERYTHING

if they MUST have data, then surely you could just send them an overnight datafile with latest info, and debrief their entries. If you are on a budget, then using csv's will keep the cost down more than trying to synchronise replicas, surely.

Even if this needs a special version of the database just for the field guys.

dfenton

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:41
The scenario you describe is the ideal situation for the simplest and easiest form of replication, and I'd highly recommend it.

When you have disconnected users who need the data in the field, having a local replica to edit is ideal. Then it is very easy to set up direct synchs when the laptop users return to the main office and connect to the wired LAN.

There is nothing dangerous or complicated involved here. The code is quite simple and the setup quite easy.

Remote access is a great solution for fixed offices, as they always have an Internet connection available, but for disconnected laptop users, it's a non-starter.

In the near future, Access 2010 with Sharepoint 2010 could be a really good solution, as it can manage an offline data store and the synchronizion of offline edits with the "mother ship." However, it does require the Sharepoint server, and many small organizations don't have the infrastructure for that.

Last of all, in regard to pkstormy's comments about Jet replication:

If you examine pkstormy's record on the subject, you'll find that he has admitted that he stopped using Jet replication 10 years ago, and he describes his use of it in a way that makes it quite clear that he didn't use any of the best practices that were well-known regarding Jet replication even 10 years ago.

If you'd like to read up on Jet replication, have a look at the Jet Replication Wiki:

http://dfenton.com/DFA/Replication/

jepoysaipan

Registered User.
Local time
Wow, great insights! Thanks guys.

I've been working on replication for 2 days, but the BE seems to bloat every now and then, I can't seem to find a sample update module or macro (if you will) to try it out, I am begging everyone to pls. show me a thread or a sample to get me started.

Thanks again!

dfenton

AWF VIP
Local time
I've been working on replication for 2 days, but the BE seems to bloat every now and then, I can't seem to find a sample update module or macro (if you will) to try it out, I am begging everyone to pls. show me a thread or a sample to get me started.

I've posted the code to do the job about a bazillion times in various forums on Usenet and here. Where are you looking? Have you gone to the Jet Replication Wiki and reviewed all the resources identified there as the best starting points?

If not, do so, and then ask questions.

Otherwise, you're asking other people to do your homework.

Jet Replication Wiki:

http://dfenton.com/DFA/Replication/

pkstormy

Registered User.
Local time
jepoysaipan,

Please keep us posted on your replication process. I'm curious if it's as 'easy' and 'problem-free' as David makes it to be. The 'Best Practices' David describes entails, 'follow this, then that, then that, then that, then this', etc..etc.. and you're done and everything will always be problem free. I personally have not had good experience with it but as David thinks to indicate, it was due to Best Practices not being followed. I haven't used it in 10 years (as he indicated) nor will I ever use it again in the future.

But I am curious.

Last edited:

dfenton

AWF VIP
Local time
For the scenario described by the original poster here, it *is* easy. You can do direct synchs and it's perfectly safe because it's across a wired LAN. The amount of code to implement it is about 10 lines. It's fast, it's easy to set up, and it will be reliable.

It's only when you start trying to synch across non-wired LANs or WANs or across the Internet (over VPN) that you really need to be careful. In those scenarios, you can't use direct synchs, and have to use indirect or Internet. Pkstormy, in your situation you apparently tried to use direct synchs across connections where it was inappropriate, and that was the source of your problems.

Yes, to do safe synchs across non-wired LAN connections does require a lot of steps to get it right.

But in the scenario involved here in this discussion, there is nothing particularly complex in regard to implementation.

jepoysaipan

Registered User.
Local time
@David,

I do visited your Wiki for quite a while even before starting this project, yes it does work perfectly on a WIRED LAN, but then on the other hand (WAN, Off-Site, Remote replication) it's not, I know it's my design or maybe its not the way to solve this problem I am facing.

Well I was hurt by your previous post "......Otherwise, you're asking other people to do your homework.", not my cup of coffee, and as my post says "...LECTURE" not SOLUTION!

But It's OK I don't take it personally.

So going back, I am still looking for another way to synch the BE the effective & easy way.

Peace!

dfenton

AWF VIP
Local time
If you've looked for the code and can't find it, just say so, and I'll post it the bazillionth and first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom