Synopsis - after a DB is created (1 Viewer)

atol

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:53
I am trying to understand what’s next after a database is created (meaning it is functioning, but not ready for multi-user environment and not secured yet). By reading various postings and some articles, it seems these are the key steps I need to follow in order to have a database ready to go.
1. Once the database is ready and tested (at this point I am the only user and have full privileges to the database), I need to do the split – front end/back end (by using Access split wizard).
2. Then I save the back end on a shared drive to which the respective users will have access.
3. Next I secure the back end.
4. Then I create users group(s), and assign user ID/password for every user.
5. I install the front end to every user’s PC so they can begin to use it (not sure how to do that - some help is appreciated here!)

Is this close to what the process would be (even very oversimplified) or I am too far from the truth?! :confused:

Thank you in advance!
Atol

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:53
I am trying to understand what’s next after a database is created (meaning it is functioning, but not ready for multi-user environment and not secured yet). By reading various postings and some articles, it seems these are the key steps I need to follow in order to have a database ready to go.
1. Once the database is ready and tested (at this point I am the only user and have full privileges to the database), I need to do the split – front end/back end (by using Access split wizard).
2. Then I save the back end on a shared drive to which the respective users will have access.
3. Next I secure the back end.
4. Then I create users group(s), and assign user ID/password for every user.
5. I install the front end to every user’s PC so they can begin to use it (not sure how to do that - some help is appreciated here!)

Is this close to what the process would be (even very oversimplified) or I am too far from the truth?! :confused:

Thank you in advance!
Atol

This site may be helpful:
http://www.allenbrowne.com/casu-22.html

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:53
database splitting is importnat

depending on who is using it, and what for, protecting and securing may not be necessary - it adds another level of complexity that you may not need

atol

Registered User.
Local time
thanks. not sure if Alen Browne website gives me what I need, but I will continue to explore knowledge.
Gemma - I guess I my case I have about 10-ish users, which means I have to ensure the DB is secured just to prevent comlications. I guess I was looking here for "yes" or "no" answer regaring whether these are the right steps or I am missing any.
Thanks,
Atol

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
securing means quite a few different things - these examples come to mind

a) requiring a login (either access secutiry, or a purpose built method)
b) thereby limiting certain users ability to do certain things
c) preventing unauthorised copying of the datbase
d) preventing unauthorised editing of forms and other objects
e) preventing users seeing/copying your code
f) preventing access to the database window
g) removing/limiting some standard access facilities
h) preventing access to the data in this dbs by any external means

probably others

--------
you dont necessarily need all of these - depends on the environment/the use of the database etc - eg you dont necessarily need to use an access login, because you can read the windows login if that is suffciient, and it avoids your users needing another level of login.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
securing a database can cover quite a few different things - these examples come to mind

a) requiring a login (either access secutiry, or a purpose built method)
b) thereby limiting certain users ability to do certain things
c) preventing unauthorised copying of the datbase
d) preventing unauthorised editing of forms and other objects
e) preventing users seeing/copying your code
f) preventing access to the database window
g) removing/limiting some standard access facilities
h) preventing access to the data in this dbs by any external means

probably others

--------
you dont necessarily need all of these - depends on the environment/the use of the database etc - eg you dont necessarily need to use an access login, because you can read the windows login if that is suffciient, and it avoids your users needing another level of login.

atol

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Gemma for the good examples.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom