Text Box Search (1 Viewer)

npierson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:13
I am trying to find a way to use a text box ("Description") as a search tool in a form. For example, someone types in a value which auto-expands to what they're typing, and eventually after they finish their description, maybe it would generate a subform or table that would contain all of the items that match the description they typed. I know this might seem confusing, but any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

[This message has been edited by npierson (edited 06-01-2001).]

Jack Cowley

Registered User.
Local time
A combo box will do just what you want. If you create the combo box using the Wizard the third option on the first screen "Find a record..." will do basically what you want. You may want to modify the code the Wizard generates to run a query where the combo box supplies the criteria....

npierson

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks, I'll probably end up doing that. Is it beyond the limitations of ACCESS to make a lookup text box instead of combo box? It would have to auto-expand with the values that the user was typing, as it could not display multiple values that were queried as is done with a combo box (since it is able to drop down and a text box is not).

Thanks,

Nick

Jack Cowley

Registered User.
Local time
I am sure that you could write a function that would check the code in a text box and have it 'auto-expand' as a combo box does but it is a bit like reinventing the wheel to my way of thinking. I understand your quandary, but that is Access for you...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom