The annual xmas panic. (2 Viewers)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 17:00
Well, here we are again, the annual panic to buy gifts for people you don't like and care even less about.

It's all over the TV adverts and still over a month to go.

I went to town yesterday and you'd think it was the end of the world, people rushing round buying stuff - for what reason? - vanity, so other people won't think they're tight. Recession? what recession?

Next they'll try to bring religion into it when it has nothing to do with religion. We never have trimmings or lights and stuff - what's the point? you only have to take it all down again before 12th night.

We've done our xmas shopping - a bottle of wine for our neighbours, who we get on ok with. And sod-all for those people we don't like. Our families never buy for each other, there are too many and too expensive and they're 180 miles away so a phone call is as good as it gets.

Roll on January then it'll be all over and things can get back to normal. I wish I could fast forward to January in a time machine.

Also on TV now are those stupid adverts asking for "just £2 a month will save a child / dog / water / food / medicine etc...." what absolute rubbish - the money gets filtered by the organisation, it pays off corrupt governments, buys weapons for their civil war and maybe a little may filter through.
If I coughed up money every time I was asked on the street by those patronising irritating collectors and on TV ads, then I would be paying out hundreds a month.
We've just had "children in need" here in the UK, they collected £26million as they do every year, yet still they say there is a recession.

I know hypocritical people here will say "bah humbug", but I look after me and the wife, that's it, I pay enough taxes and have more than enough income for us. Africa?, children? water?, - not my problem, I have enough to think about. If a child walks 5 miles for water in Africa, they should move closer to the water hole.

Now where's that expensive bottle of Chardonnay?

Col

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Colin,

This is a serious response.

Have you thought about trying out Google+

You'll find no shortage of people to wrestle with and little fear of censorship.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
All I am saying is that xmas is a commercial bonanza for shops preying on the guilt of people who feel they have to buy someone they hate a present.

I'm also sick of being approached by scrounging people who patronise you in the street to get you to give them money for "good causes", and I can't get away from it at home as it's on the TV - whining on about starving kids who I don't know, whilst I'm trying to eat my food, it's enough to put you off (not quite though). If the billions given by people already haven't cured things yet, then it never will. If I give money for something, I expect a profit or some kind of return.

Danielle - I don't know of google+, I use a computer very little these days, and why would I be censored? Ah! of course, in the dictatorship of the USA you are censored for speaking an opinion.

Tony - I actually prefer a nice claret but white will do in an emergency if our woman hasn't done the shopping yet.

Col

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 12:00
You know Dan's name. Do you think you're Dr. Cox from Scrubs or something? Let the name changing thing go.

As for the rest of the statement. I agree. I also hate the hustle to the stores on "Black Friday" to find all of the cheap outdated electronics to give as gifts (or keep, greed and all.) It causes more accidents than any other day short of New Years and Independence Day in the US.

And don't get me started on Christmas music... why must I be bothered with Christmas music before Thanksgiving? Come on! :mad:

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Today, 09:00
Col
Your on fine form today ..
got off your chest feel better

While I do agree with the essense of what you said
Christmas is what you make it
A bottle of wine with friends , a nice meal if thats christmas for you - sounds pretty ok
a phone call to family and loved one

Others do go a bit bonkers on it , If you got kids then there is a reason to put a little effort in - but 1 nice present and some cheapies pressies that will probably get destroyed

I used to give friends of mine - their littel girl a small pressei - limited my self to a tenner - and she loved it - it was a throw away present - slimey snot or little tricks or magic she could perform
her other present usually clothes books - stuff she needed - not always what she wanted ..
mine she looked forward too as she knew it woudl be gross or different the price of the present wasn't important - it was the tough that I put into getting her somthing she would run away from or totally gross out ona nd the joy of her parents who would look at me with a resigned look - but knowing that she was loving it (got her a drum kit when she was 6 - brillant I dropped it off and ran .........)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
You know Dan's name. Do you think you're Dr. Cox from Scrubs or something? Let the name changing thing go.
Who or what are Dr Cox and Scrubs? Never heard of either.

I've been calling Danielle that name for years - what's the problem now? Jesus Christ - you people sure are touchy - IT'S A JOKE!!!!, it's a wonder you get any people posting here, oh you don't now do you, I wonder why?

You make up these rules as you go along - you people make me laugh.

Col

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
I've been calling Danielle that name for years - what's the problem now?

I am mortally offended and demand satisfaction.

Where is that promised bass rendition of "Taxman"?

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 09:00
I love this time of year, I dont know why so many shallow minded malcontents whine to no end about how commercialization is ruining it for them. It will if you allow it to happen. I am stronger willed then that so I do not permit all of the barrage of media telling me who I must buy for and how much I need to spend to put a monitary value on my feelings towards another person.
Perhaps people need to stop exposing themselves to all of this negative energy they are getting from their televisions and from hanging about in shopping malls. There are a lot of other things people could be doing then wishing their lives away a month at a time by hoping time would fast forward to January to avoid all of the 'panic'.
We have our home decorated a little outside to celebrate the festive season already, gets rather cold early here and really does not make sense to be on a ladder decorating in the snow and blowing cold. We have noticed that there are a lot more people shopping when we go into town, so it is nice that the shops stock up on seasonal items early so we can avoid going when there are people having fits over getting items at the last minute.

Jacob Mathai

Registered User.
Local time
Last night I had a dream telling me that I had a job and a steady income. When I woke up I knew it was the ghost of the Christmas past.

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
I haven't been on this forum for quite a while, thought I would dip my toe in again...

I see Col's still here, different name same rhetoric...LOL... now that's nostalgia...

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
There are a lot of other things people could be doing then wishing their lives away a month at a time by hoping time would fast forward to January to avoid all of the 'panic'.

Such as?

Visiting relatives? - No way Pedro - that's the worst thing you can do.

Get divorced? - Yes, it's at it's highest this time of year.

Think of others? Goodwill to men etc. etc.? - Leave that to the hypocrits, it makes them feel good.

Give to charity? Why? What's in it for me? Why should I save some kid in Africa I don't know. I need my money to keep up my excellent lifestyle, I worked for it so I don't plan on giving it away to some meaning less cause.

No - roll on January when it's all over thank you.

Col

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 12:00
Such as?

Visiting relatives? - No way Pedro - that's the worst thing you can do.

Get divorced? - Yes, it's at its highest this time of year.

Think of others? Goodwill to men etc. etc.? - Leave that to the hypocrites, it makes them feel good.

Give to charity? Why? What's in it for me? Why should I save some kid in Africa I don't know. I need my money to keep up my excellent lifestyle, I worked for it so I don't plan on giving it away to some meaningless cause.

No - roll on January when it's all over thank you.

Col

I made some corrections for you. I know how highly you respect proper spelling and grammar. I'm sure it was nothing more than an oversight.

I'll leave the comma errors alone. :D

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I haven't been on this forum for quite a while, thought I would dip my toe in again...

I see Col's still here, different name same rhetoric...LOL... now that's nostalgia...

Yes, still here. Not allowed to have my old name back. I think it was Crake that deleted it or that American one - what's his name? The one who is medically qualified to make psychiatric diagnoses. . . . . three letters. . . . . oh I have it - God.

I usually only log in now every month or so, there's never anything going on. Anyway, better go I have to watch paint dry - much more fun than being here.

Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom