The BIT (1 Viewer)

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 15:45
In the beginning, God created the bit. And the bit was zero, nothing. On the first day, He toggled the 0 to 1, and the Universe was. (In those days, bootstrap loaders were simple, and "active low" signals didn't yet exist). On the second day, The Board wanted a demo, and tried to read the bit. This being volatile memory, the bit reverted to a 0. And the universe wasn't. God learned the importance of backups and memory refresh, and spent the rest of the day (and His first all nighter) reconstructing the universe. On the third day, the bit cried "Oh Lord! If you exist, give me a sign! " And God created rev 2.0 of the bit, even better than the original prototype. Those in Universe Marketing immediately realised the "new and improved" wouldn't do justice to such a grand and glorious creation. And so it was dubbed the Most Significant Bit, or the Sign bit. Many bits followed, but only one was so honoured. On the fourth day, God created a simple ALU with "add" and "logical shift" instructions. And the original bit discovered that by performing a single shift instruction, it could become the Most Significant Bit. And God realised the importance of computer security. On the fifth day, God created the first mid life kicker, rev 2.0 of the ALU. with wonderful features, and said "Screw all that add and shift stuff. Go forth and multiply!" And God saw that was good. On the sixth day, God got a bit over confident, and invented pipelines, register hazards, optimising compilers, crosstalk, restartable instructions, micro¬interrupts, race conditions, and propagation delays (Historians have used this to convincingly argue that the sixth day must have been a Monday). On the seventh day, God had His day of rest. The IT department, which was singularly unqualified to do anything other than call in a service engineer when something went wrong, got above itself and invented "Computer Policy". Whilst God continued to take His ease, a policy decision was issued after the IT department hired a consultant called Bill Gates. An Engineering Change Notice soon followed, introducing Windows into the Universe. Consequently, the Universe hasn't worked right since and, through no fault of His own, God invented Hell.

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Today, 09:45
And the original bit discovered that by performing a single shift instruction, it could become the Most Significant Bit. And God realised the importance of computer security.

Funny. :)

R

Rich

Well I hate to appear pedantic but surely 0 didn't exist as an entity when the Universe was created:cool::p

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 10:45
Yeah, I don't believe in God, surely 0 evolved from monkeys. ;)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Worse. 0 evolved from used car salesmen.

pono1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:45
My favorite part: The IT department, which was singularly unqualified to do anything other than call in a service engineer when something went wrong, got above itself and invented "Computer Policy".

Vassago

Local time
But does He believe in you:confused:

If something doesn't exist, I doubt it would have beliefs...

but my comment was said as a joke to point out the scientific ideas of where 0 came from. Do I really have to explain this? :confused:

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 15:45
If something doesn't exist, I doubt it would have beliefs...

but my comment was said as a joke to point out the scientific ideas of where 0 came from. Do I really have to explain this? :confused:
Of course not.
I doubt if even the most literally minded visitor to this forum believes in the the literal truth of the OP. Most of us do have a sense of humour. Thats why I put a humorous question after my reply to you

Vassago

Local time
Of course not.
I doubt if even the most literally minded visitor to this forum believes in the the literal truth of the OP. Most of us do have a sense of humour. Thats why I put a humorous question after my reply to you

Same here. :D I knew RIch would get a kick out of it though. ;)

statsman

Local time
Surely zero is what there was before God said "Let there be an on/off switch".

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Just recently I read that, although astronomers still believe the universe is continually expanding, they have now been able to provide (significant) evidence that everything in the universe in orbiting around a single point. Could this be the point of 0?

I wonder if this is God's home? If so, how do I get in? Do I need a key? When I open the door, will I see the light?

Does anyone know where I can find the keymaker? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom