The Cooler vs. The Age-Old Riddle (1 Viewer)

Which came first?

• The Chicken.

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • The Egg.

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • They both came into existence at the same time.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • McNuggets.

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:48
The discussions seemed to have waned a bit, so how about some good-hearted fun discussing a silly question? Since this is in the Watercooler, let's try not to take it too seriously and just have fun. Feel free to post a completely silly response. :p

Last edited:

lmnop7854

Quittin' Time
Local time
Yesterday, 23:48
I voted for McNuggets, because circular reasoning makes my head spin:p

Lisa

NJudson

Who farted?
Local time
Yesterday, 23:48
The chicken of course. How can you have an offspring without the parent? Unless, there was some sort of immaculate conception of the egg. Hmmmm....now wait a minute. I may have to revise my statement.

As disturbingly annoying the "chicken or the egg" scenario is it is in no way as insanely ridiculous as the "if a tree falls in a forest with noone around, does it make a noise" bit.

fuzzygeek

Energy Ebbing
Local time
The egg came first obviously, it was needed to "egg" the chicken on into existence!!!:cool: ;)

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
NJudson said:
As disturbingly annoying the "chicken or the egg" scenario is it is in no way as insanely ridiculous as the "if a tree falls in a forest with noone around, does it make a noise" bit.
Yeah, that's why I didn't pick that one. ;)

My answer is both pragmatic and yet comical because it circumvents the logical reasoning the question is intended in induce: the egg came first. Why? Because fish and reptiles existed before chickens. :)

fuzzygeek

Energy Ebbing
Local time
Current speculation is that the fowls descended from the dinosaurs and that the dinosaurs had feathers. Then the egg preceeded the chicken because the dinosaurs laid eggs. The mutation surely occurred in the dinosaur that laid the egg producing the egg that the chicken pecked its way out. Yes the chicken would have had to escape the egg by itself. Experiments have shown that if the chick is assisted in escaping the egg, the chick will probably die since escaping the egg is a test for life.

Surely the dinosaurs died off because they were henpecked!;)

fuzzygeek

Energy Ebbing
Local time
I'm sorry, but you egged me on. What a yolk!

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
fuzzygeek said:
I'm sorry, but you egged me on. What a yolk!
I'm not down with that. I think you need to learn your place in the pecking order!

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 05:48
Who came first ?

The idiophone.
(striking together two objects capable of vibration producing a sound from the material of the instrument itself without the assistance of reeds, strings )

Why ?
The concussion idiophone produces a sounds with a 470 Hz frequency and that's exactly what a chicken needs to lay an egg. ;)

R

Rich

rak said:
The concussion idiophone produces a sounds with a 470 Hz frequency and that's exactly what a chicken needs to lay an egg. ;)

Who plays it while they're laying? :confused:

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Idiophone can only be played by giraffes or elephants :cool:

BarryMK

4 strings are enough
Local time
rak said:

Incorrect, I'm afraid.
Col's got one and he's brilliant on it. He played an amazing solo with it on Track 3 of his latest cd - you know the one.:)

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
BarryMK said:
Incorrect, I'm afraid.
Col's got one and he's brilliant on it. He played an amazing solo with it on Track 3 of his latest cd - you know the one.:)

Col wasn't there when the first chicken laid an egg , was he ? :(

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
If the religious manual is correct :)rolleyes: ) then the god entity thing created all living things, so presumably a (fully grown) chicken was one of them.

Obviously, they'll all have to be killed because of bird flu, which should get to the UK next week.

Col

EmmaJane

Registered User.
Local time
Okay I have a question..... why do we refer to cowards as "chicken" and why the colour (or color for our American friends!) yellow?

Sorry Kraj if this is hijacking your thread but it nice to actually find one that hasn't so far ended up with an argument between US and UK!!!

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
EmmaJane said:
Okay I have a question..... why do we refer to cowards as "chicken" and why the colour (or color for our American friends!) yellow?
is it something to do with the yellow ribbons round the old oak tree? I don't know what that means exactly.

Sorry Kraj if this is hijacking your thread but it nice to actually find one that hasn't so far ended up with an argument between US and UK!!!
be patient Emma:rolleyes:

Col

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
BarryMK said:
rak said:
Incorrect, I'm afraid.
Ah, so the idophone can also be played by a booby? ;) :p

ColinEssex said:
If the religious manual is correct :)rolleyes: ) then the god entity thing created all living things, so presumably a (fully grown) chicken was one of them.
Well then why didn't you vote for that? Hmmmm.....?

EmmaJane said:
Hijack away! I just wanted to have some fun, who cares where the thread goes?

EmmaJane said:
I have no idea why "chicken" is used for cowardly behavior. I can't find a thing. Maybe because of they way the run around like they're terrified of everything? There's a little more to work with for "yellow", which comes from the term "yellowbelly". Yellowbelly seems to have originated in the late 1700s as an insult to people from Lincolnshire. Apparently a particular animal native to the Fens of Lincolnshire is a yellow-bellied eel. It caught on in the U.S. as an insult from soldiers and western settlers toward the Mexicans. Why it means cowardly, however, I do not know. I've found references to "lillyliver" which explain how bile was once thought to instill passion and courage, so a pale liver would indicate cowardice. But that refers to pale or white, and not yellow, although it would explain the belly reference. I don't know if they're related or not.

Last edited:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Kraj said:
Hijack away! I just wanted to have some fun, who cares where the thread goes?
Shouldn't threads stay on topic? or is that a new thread question?

Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom