The future of Access (1 Viewer)

vhung

Local time
Today, 13:14
I would start with reading the terms of service, so you understand what it does. Then, search for your suggestion, just in case someone already submitted it. If so, you can just add your vote to it. Otherwise, you submit your suggestion based on your priorities.
nice sir, copy

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
nice sir, copy
You can also tell us what you voted or suggested in case someone who reads it from here wants to vote for your suggestions as well.

vhung

Local time
You can also tell us what you voted or suggested in case someone who reads it from here wants to vote for your suggestions as well.
Increase Accdb file size capacity

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:14
as well as a new date/time datatype (with greater range and increased precision).

Interesting. But unless they want to change the formatting routines, they already have enough precision in a DOUBLE datatype (which is what they use as a typecast for date/time variables) to represent dates from 1-Jan-100 to 31-Dec-9999 and in that range they can show times to the second. In contemporary dates, they could easily show times to the millisecond.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Access is not central to their strategy, screen shot taken from pbaldy's link

1600704699752.png

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
The corporate world is now nauseatingly obsessed with Teams. I swear I hear and read about it every 5 minutes. Of course we already had Outlook, Lync, Skype for Business, and Webex. Teams is the shiny new toy now.

Most enjoyable and effective group chat tool I ever used - SLACK.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
The corporate world is now nauseatingly obsessed with Teams. I swear I hear and read about it every 5 minutes. Of course we already had Outlook, Lync and Skype for Business, and Webex. Teams is the shiny new toy now.

Most enjoyable and effective group chat tool I ever used - SLACK.
Yes, the model is stay at home and be safe. What better way to do this?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yes, the model is stay at home and be safe. What better way to do this?
You mean Teams helps people at my company stay at home and be safe better than the tools we already had that did the identical functions? I'm not seeing it. To me it's just another redundant tool, as corporate folks roll out every so often..Then again, it's Monday, and I'm grumpy.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:14
Access itself gives you the option to send feedback. Click on the Feedback item in the BackStage menu. I cut it off in this clip. It is near the bottom.
AccessFeedback.JPG

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I complain regularly to Microsoft about the lack of promotion of Access in the O365 offerings. INMYNSOH Microsoft has NEVER properly marketed Access.

I agree with you regarding Teams. Just another shiny new thing that duplicates other functionality and I hated SLACK. I actually dropped out of a group because they insisted on using it.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Slack's encouraging the constant stream-of-content can be a little much.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 20:14
changing the subject slightly, I would like to see improvements to the form and report design capabilities

1. Formatting functionality (shapes/styles) for buttons replicated for textboxes, labels and rectangles, perhaps others.
2. Option to resize and format check and option boxes
3. The option for a line to include an arrowhead and perhaps flight. aka shapes in excel/word.
4. The ability to map one control to another (similar to labels mapping to controls) but with the ability to choose which corner maps to which corner

I have workarounds for all of these but it would make life easier

I'm still using 2010 so perhaps some of these have been addressed in later versions?

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 15:14
@JohnPapa,

on where Access is headed, here is a roadmap:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=Access

I wouldn't be surprised if 2019 only works with Windows 10. On older versions ... even though support is gone for them, they still work. I have a dual installation with 2007 and 365, and both work just fine. Some of my clients are on 2003 and even lower versions! Ocassionally I help someone who is still using Access 97!

Just because the Access icon is often left out, as is Access, I wouldn't be worried about it going away anytime soon. That's been the gossip since Access 2000! The Access team is dedicated to listening and enhancing the product. They watch UserVoice too, which gives those who aren't MVPs a way to interact with the Access team.

Access UserVoice
https://access.uservoice.com/forums/319956-access-desktop-application

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Microsoft promotes everything except Access. It's alive but on life support maintained by the community.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Rather than start a new thread, I'll post these links here. I came across these yesterday and today while making my rounds...

(from AWF Member @NoLongerSet)

Great insight and opinions...
I like Mike Wolfe's response, got nothin' to add on it, it's perfect, but will just call out this incredibly succinct summary of what my view on the Access world is........OK, I suppose I might add in some more emphasis on why I think it would be prudent for people whose main bread and butter is developing Access in the corporate world....to begin learning Power Apps, but that's it.

Access holds zero appeal for young software developers. No Silicon Valley VC is going to invest in your Access-based software product. It doesn't scale the way a web-based SaaS does. There will always be a ceiling on how much leverage you can generate selling an Access-based business-to-consumer product that does not exist with web applications.

BUT, if you are a competent Microsoft Access developer, you will have no shortage of custom desktop software projects to build (and maintain). I think it's safe to say there are 100s of thousands (if not millions) of critical business applications running in Microsoft Access today. And there is simply no other product available that offers a seamless migration option for a front-end Access application. In fact, Microsoft practically guaranteed that would be the case when they broke VBx backward compatibility in their move to VB.Net.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom