The One True Religion (1 Viewer)

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:56
shadow9449 said:
Shane:

I'm just curious if you got that argument from McDowell. Josh McDowell uses that type of thinking all the time. One of his "best" arguments is "the Apostles wouldn't have allowed themselves to be martyred had they not believed in the resurrection"

Using this line of thinking, McDowell completely ignores that almost every known religion has people who have given their lives for their religion. THis includes many who gave their lives to be tortured and burned NOT to embrace Christianity. This is the type of typical "let's ignore all reality" argument posited by McDowell.

I only raise his name because you mentioned him earlier. I know someone who was Christian for 11 years and became non-Christian when she realized how poorly researched his "Proofs" are.

And by the way, you mentioned that the Gospels were written by eyewitnesses. I guess you missed the first verse in Luke where he says clearly otherwise.

SHADOW

No, I didn't get the argument from Josh Mc Dowell. I have had folks tell me about the book but have never read it myself. I recommended to Matt based off of what I have be told. As far as Luke goes. Did you read the second verse? or even down to verse 5? Besides, my reference to the eyewitnesses was to the fact that these men walked and talked with Jesus. Luke was one of those men and he wrote The Gospel of Luke as well as The Acts of the Apostles.

Last edited:

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:56
ShaneMan said:
No, I didn't get the argument from Josh Mc Dowell. I have had folks tell me about the book but have never read it myself. I recommended to Matt based off of what I have be told. .

Ok, maybe you want to read McDowell's book before promoting it. He is poorly researched and some of his arguments make me laugh.

ShaneMan said:
As far as Luke goes. Did you read the second verse? or even down to verse 5? Besides, my reference to the eyewitnesses was to the fact that these men walked and talked with Jesus. Luke was one of those men and he wrote The Gospel of Luke as well as The Acts of the Apostles

Yes. Verses 2 and 3 say that Luke was NOT an eyewitness. In fact, Luke was a companion of Paul's and nowhere is there indication that he met Jesus.

SHADOW

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:56
shadow9449 said:
Ok, maybe you want to read McDowell's book before promoting it. He is poorly researched and some of his arguments make me laugh.

Yes. Verses 2 and 3 say that Luke was NOT an eyewitness. In fact, Luke was a companion of Paul's and nowhere is there indication that he met Jesus.

SHADOW

Lukes reference in verses 1 through 5 is to indicate that he was not there when Jesus was born and was not there as He grew up, so Luke is letting you know that he is telling this story according to eyewitnesses that were there and did see these things.

As far as Josh Mc Dowell's book goes. Maybe I should read it someday, but I doubt that I will come up with the same results as you. I did not promote the book. Read my post again. I told Matt that he appears to be a person who likes to research things. I recommended Josh Mc Dowells book as one he could check into someday. Didn't promote it just recommended it.

Last edited:

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:56
ShaneMan said:
Lukes reference in verses 1 through 5 is to indicate that he was not there when Jesus was born and was not there as He grew up, so Luke is letting you know that he is telling this story according to eyewitnesses that were there and did see these things..

Agreed. From your post, it sounded like you said that Luke was an eyewitness. I apologize if that's not what you meant.

As far as Josh Mc Dowell's book goes. Maybe I should read it someday, but I doubt that I will come up with the same results as you. .

Depends. If you just rely on his "research", then you're right. If you look into his sources, then you probably will arrive at the same conclusion as me and many reviews I've read.

I did not promote the book. Read my post again. I told Matt that he appears to be a person who likes to research things. I recommended Josh Mc Dowells book as one he could check into someday. Didn't promote it just recommended it.

"Promote" versus "recommend". Got it now.

SHADOW

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom