The Oscars (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:25
Well, no one else brought it up so felt I had to. Will Smith, what the hell were you playing at? I used to like his stuff. Tainted now.

Note the complete hypocrisy of the woke crowd at the Oscars. If a white guy slapped a black guy, there would be outrage. If a guy slapped a woman, there would be outrage. But black guy on black guy? No biggie. Is that not both sexist and racist, based on civilised standards? I checked CNN and saw them present what happened but zero opinion on it at all. Why the silence, CNN? Why would Slapper-Smith not be immediately and forcibly removed after such a violent attack on the host while on stage? I am shocked!

It tells me that those who attend and run the Oscars have zero values at all. Instead, they just spout a bunch of B.S. to look good, saying one thing but doing another. To have someone violently attack the host and then minutes later lavish that thug with praise is beyond the pale.

Your thoughts?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:25
I didn't watch (never do) but my step-daughter showed my wife and I a youtube video of it. We first thought it a funny pre-planned bit, until the swearing started. At first it seemed an over-reaction to a joke that may have been in poor taste. Apparently Jada suffers from alopecia, making the joke in poor taste at best, and perhaps explaining Smith's reaction (explaining, not justifying).

In any case, Will should have talked to the host later, or explained their feelings in an interview. Jada didn't seem amused by the joke either.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
The Oscars have been slipping dramatically in the rating over the last few years in part because of politics / wokeness. After the open hand slap went viral the Oscars were temporarily relevant once again. I guess we can look forward to more shenanigans like this in the future.

My first thought was this was more black-on-black crime.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 09:25
My daughter told me about it along with some other gossip about the Smiths (infidelities). I watched to unedited version of it and was not impressed. Will Smith even laughed initially until Jada gave him an eat-death stare, then we felt the need to defend her honor.

Again, not impressed...

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Hypricrocy reigns. The left sees only what it wants to see and much of what they do see is their interpretation of realty. Like the "Don't say Gay" movement in Florida. People who never read the bill marching about something that is a figment of their imagination. The bill is about AGE APPROPRIATE sex education. It is not anti-gay. There are things that you just don't talk to 5-year olds about.

When my grandchildren were 5 we started taking them to the theater. A local theater put on really great plays for young kids. They were so well done that the adults enjoyed them as much as the children. Theater "season" seems to be winter but the last show in the spring was a lovely sunny May day and so the cast gathered out in the garden next door so the kids could meet them up close and personal while they were in full costume. Many of the plays had a fairy godmother or good witch type of character who was always played by the same older man wearing a flamboyant costume and using exaggerated gestures. The girls never said anything so I had no reason to point out that there was a man playing a women or maybe he was far enough away that they didn't notice, but in the garden, they got to meet him up close and shake his hand and talk to him. After we moved on, one of the twins asked " is she a he?". I said yes and she nodded and neither asked any other questions and they never said anything about him again even though he was in most of the shows we saw for several years after that also. They accepted him for what he was. A really good fairy godmother character. I don't know the man so I don't know anything about him except that he was really good at playing flamboyant older women and that's all the kids needed to know at their age. And that is the essence of the bill that is causing such controversy in Florida. You don't lie to children but you don't need to go into the gory details of sexual orientation when they don't even know what sex is.

I didn't watch the Oscars. I stopped watching award shows years ago. I don't want politics embedded in entertainment. This current cancel culture is far worse than McCarthyism ever was.

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I saw several sources say it was a setup. I think the Guardian was one.

I watched it, and I thought it was real, and still think it was real.

If it's not real, then full marks for acting, and let's face it he's an actor.

If it was real, then I see where Will Smith was coming from, the guy taking the piss out of his wife's medical condition in public, or anywhere really, just not on. Not even if the guy was a former lover at some stage, as I read somewhere.

It was definitely the wrong thing to do, hitting the guy, but when that red mist comes, well....

I'm sort of on Will Smith's side, albeit a bit uncomfortably ....

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I'm sort of on Will Smith's side, albeit a bit uncomfortably ....
How about criminalising free speech and decriminalising violence? Just an idea...

Side note: Have you ever been to live stand-up? A large part of the evening involves the comedian taking the piss out of the audience members.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Have you ever been to live stand-up?

These people were not willing participants in a live stand-up show.

Yes I understand the way these things work. I've seen Ricky Gervais ripping the ass out of people.

Ricky made one joke about a woman who was in prison making number plates. Fair game, she put herself in prison.

If I was at such an event with my wife and she was struggling with a condition where her hair was falling out, and the presenter/comedian used that personal detail, that personal information against her, then I would feel very strongly about it.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
There is nothing wrong with feeling strongly about something. I get that. But to attack someone because you did not like their joke? How about if your wife said something you really didn't like...do you feel you have the right to strike her? There are certain boundaries we should not cross, and physical violence comes into that. What if Will Smith struck a female comic on stage, would you feel differently?

How about if someone made a joke about climate change, and a climate alarmist took great offence and attacked the comic? They felt very strongly about climate change and so struck out. Is that ok? What about a vegan who saw you munching on a steak...they lunged at you, clawing at your face. Fine with that? :ROFLMAO:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Kevin Costner gave the best presentation last night he appeared to have it memorized and delivered it on point.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Someone comes between me and my steak, they better be prepared for a long night because I aint going down without a fight...beer is on that list too...

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
But to attack someone because you did not like their joke?

But Will didn't see it as a joke, that's the essence of it, he saw a personal attack on his wife, and did the manly thing and defended her.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
But Will didn't see it as a joke, that's the essence of it, he saw a personal attack on his wife, and did the manly thing and defended her.
My wife and I had this same conversation this morning. I thought Will was more in the right even though when you put hands on someone, you have lost unless you are defending yourself in a like manner.

My wife's point was that She had made a public announcement about her condition, made videos about shaving her head and then sported the Chrome-Dome look at a public event instead of wearing a wig. It set me on my heels a little. Where is the balance between "family is off limits" and "Public figures are fair game"?

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
I didn't watch, but based on the fact that Will Smith made the headlines, it would seem that the Oscars must have run-out anti-conservative hate diatribes to virtue signal how woke they are.

A remaining question was this "assault" planned to generate some media hysteria since there was apparently nothing (political) else to rag-about?
One of Hollywood's proverbial sayings is "bad" news is better than no news.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
But Will didn't see it as a joke, that's the essence of it,
I see it as we are talking about the same thing, just semantics. Chris is a comedian, telling jokes. Will didn't like his joke, and turned to violence. Imagine a society where people are allowed to assault each other because they take offence. Nowadays, everybody is offended about something. It would be chaos.

To me, it appears that the question under debate is: "Is it ok to violently assault the host of a show if you do not like what they say?" I say, "No"! The alternative is to legalise violence.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Where is the balance between "family is off limits" and "Public figures are fair game"?
How about if Trump went around assaulting CNN journalists?

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
When you ae the POTUS, all bets are off. Unless you are Andrew Jackson - then you just do what the hell you want!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Is it ok to violently assault the host of a show if you do not like what they say?" I say, "No"!

So do I. But the problem is, in those types of situations, you Don't Think, you react instinctively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom