The storms arrived... (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:27
Here I sit in the dark, with the second powercut of the day. We have a big storm over here right now. Checkout this map of outages. I've never seen anything like it! I am somewhere in that mess.

1581261301814.png

It seems very odd that the storm has targeted us along county lines. 🤔

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:27
If the county lines are based on the topography in that area, the storms may be affected by natural forces such as adiabatic cooling near the edge of a mountain or tall hill area.

Here in south Louisiana, we are flat-landers - but the natural topography includes the borders of a swamp and many natural wetlands where humidity is naturally higher. So for us, rain boundaries often differ between the southern part of the state and the middle/north part.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I was only kidding Doc. I think the map just geotargetted my power companies area. :D

I've just read this headline on the BBC: "Storm Ciara: Britain faces 'storm of the century' as winds of more than 90mph hit"

I thought it was a bit blowy!

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 01:27
We always lose power during the big snow storms. Here in the mountains almost everyone has a generator. I plug in my pellet stove, cable modem, Computer, and TV. Thankfully even when the powers out, the cable still works.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
My son is currently driving back from our home on Exmoor where we have wind speeds around 60mph but no power cuts (so far)
He lives in Ramsgate, Kent which from your map looks grim.

Jon
Do you have a link for that outages map.
No worries - found it - but it only gives info for S.E. England as you said: https://ukpn.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/fault-map/

Here's the equivalent map for Wales, SW & Central England: https://powercuts.westernpower.co.uk/
Either less detail or not so badly affected as in S.E. England

1581263060314.png

Last edited:

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Its always amazing that the weather on my side of the mountain is often different from that on the other side.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Ah yes, I think we tend to get the winds pretty bad down this way. When we had the Great Storm in 1987, the south east got hit hard. Hope he is ok. A perilous journey.

here is the outages map: https://ukpn.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/fault-map/

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:27
For us, high-speed winds are not rare during storms. We had a relatively small thunderstorm cell pass through last week that caved in a couple of glass fronts on some of our buildings downtown. It also collapsed a scaffold, though it didn't affect the building on which work was being done. We live in a flat area so there is nothing to break up the wind. Where my mother grew up, in central Alabama, they have a few mountains but a LOT of hills, so it is rare for them to encounter straight-line winds of more than 60 miles per hour. (Not impossible - but rare.)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I live in a town which is the highest inland point in the county. We are really exposed and have our own micro-climate.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Where I live is around 600 feet above sea level & usually very blustery.
As a result, possibly the infrastructure is more robust?
Can't remember whether you're in Sussex or Kent but are you higher than that?

I added another link & map to post #5

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I am on the border of Sussex and Kent. We are 793 feet above see level. I'm hoping I have the lungs of an athlete living this high up!

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Years ago we had a tornado come down the valley a few miles south of me. A friend of mine was eating a slice of pizza on his front porch and watched it slam into a small mountain. It split into two tornadoes and went right up the mountain where it re-formed into one. We took a "death and destruction tour" afterward. From the top of the mountain you could look all the way down where all the trees were snapped off about 20 foot high. On one road we found two houses about 100 yards apart. One house looked untouched. There were hanging plants and furniture on the front porch. The other house had a right and left side but no house in the middle. There were reports of cars and large farm animals being tossed long distances.

• Wow
Reactions: Jon

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
My laptop battery is getting low, the house is getting cold and I still haven't had my steak sandwich for lunch, despite it being 4:20pm, because I can't cook the damn thing! :mad:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Wow. Pizza splits into two tornadoes and slams into mountain. What flavour was it? :D :D

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Wow. Pizza splits into two tornadoes and slams into mountain. What flavour was it? :D :D
Ah, that would be the tornado doing the slamming.
I believe the pizza was pepperoni. :rolleyes:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Still no power. Cold and dark.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
When we had the Great Storm in 1987
a storm indeed - we had just had a new roof fitted to the factory, all that was left to do was seal around the edges. The storm blew it off in one piece and dropped it on the railway tracks next door.
Still no power. Cold and dark.
presumable you are on 4g via mobile?

Have had two blackouts so far, but only for a few seconds each time

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
My laptop battery is getting low, the house is getting cold and I still haven't had my steak sandwich for lunch, despite it being 4:20pm, because I can't cook the damn thing! :mad:
Break out the barbie? :)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I've spent most of today tring to recover a pst file.
Currently writing to a new file, so last thing I want is a power cut. :)

FWIW I can reccomend Kernel PST Recovery which works blindingly fast compared to Easeus and Stellar and a lot cheaper.

Last edited:

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I've spent most of today tring to revover a pst file.
I've got the same problem (sort of). I moved the location of the pst files and 'relinked' when I next opened outlook. Now I have two profiles for the same email, inbound emails go to one, outbound to the other. Not sure what I've done wrong.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom