This site is not a joke (1 Viewer)

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Today, 06:39
I wasn't offering "rules", we are all grown ups here, we surely do not need a class monitor to keep us in tow. I was offering some suggestions. If, what I did was to describe the problem rather than the solution, then I'd love to hear your views on what the solution is.

However, as this is my thread, I have to put my contraints on your reply.

1) Replies only in pink fluffy vocabulary
2) All rude words must be replaced by the word balley as I do think that's ever so pucker
3) All name calling must be complimentary

Failure to adhere to these rules WILL result in me crying in the corner for hours because a stranger doesn't like me :p

Yep we do, everything everwhere, needs organising and controlling by someone.

There is no control here.

I suggested you could at least control / manage the responses to your own thread like Bob did. The world hasn't ended cos the restaurant thread was cleaned up a little.

Its like the real world a heckler or spoiler to your conversation would soon be removed from the conversation , not usually by the authorities, but you would be able to do it yourself.

Why not allow that - rather then enforce that we should put up with anything someone decides to throw at us.

If Bobs continued deleting annoyed someone - they would just not respond to him in future.

Simple.

Without the above rules - ie the thread starter is allowed to delete troublesome posts - the restaurant thread would be as unruly as the rest of the forum.

If the owner or mods can't allow that and control stuff reasonably, rather than waste everyones time, they should be honest say its out of control and shut down the non access bit. Its not even needed for the main point of the forum.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
We are trying to get Jon to okay a very short list of rules so that we have a specific guide so we can then be CONSISTENT in how we moderate the board. But he may be on holiday or something because we're still waiting to hear back from him.

So, we are trying to make it more consistent so that all are treated the same. We are not looking to squash arguments in the forums, including the Watercooler, but instead prevent personal attacks from becoming the norm and to keep things from getting too far out of hand. We all live by social rules imposed by society and there is no reason why we can't have a few basic ones here.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
We are trying to get Jon to okay a very short list of rules so that we have a specific guide so we can then be CONSISTENT in how we moderate the board. But he may be on holiday or something because we're still waiting to hear back from him.

So, we are trying to make it more consistent so that all are treated the same. We are not looking to squash arguments in the forums, including the Watercooler, but instead prevent personal attacks from becoming the norm and to keep things from getting too far out of hand. We all live by social rules imposed by society and there is no reason why we can't have a few basic ones here.

At least a solution is being sought. Hopefully whatever is introduced will work for the good of everyone.

Ta

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 09:39
I believe it will. I think it'll provide a much better understanding between members and staff here on what everyone's expectations are. They are more of a guideline of expectations for EVERYONE than rules. We're certainly not out to stop the "friendly" debating that happens in the non-Access forums. We just want the blatant abuse of posting to end. Everyone know who they can have a friendly debate with and who they can't. If you post a joking comment about someone you know you get along with, that person most likely won't report it and you'll have nothing to worry about. If you post a rude remark about someone you know you don't get along with, expect a report and a warning. We can all be adults here right?

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 08:39
Oh Adam, do you honestly believe that this is the case? Firstly, getting involved in constant bickering like this only serves to fuel anger which in turn often does get let out in the real world. If not within families within the community.

think of it this way hun...the more problems you have the more alive you are. my dad always said that. strange isn't it? I never thought too much of that, but when I realized that if the government didn't argue we'd all probably be enslaved cuz they'd have nothing to do! At least for the rulers Jan, as long as they keep the arguments going we little people can go on living without interuption....:D

Access_guy49

Registered User.
Local time
I've read this thread, as well as
"This site is ever increasingly becoming a joke..."

People seem to be arguing the fact that people shouldn't be able to delete off topic or offensive posts from their own thread.

To sum up the point for my own clearification, are these people basically trying to argue their right to be a prick?
I'm all for making inteligent arguments. and to be honnest Ajetrumpet is right, sort of... having people with different opinions is what makes life interesting. But shouldn't the points be valid, and on topic. (the green energy is a crock thread is a pretty decent example of people with different opinions making good arguments)

But what's wrong with giving people the ability to delete topics where person X brings up Person Y's post from a year ago regarding a complete different topic. Or calls person Y a name.. with no real point other than to be a prick.. I don't see how that can even be considered "interesting"

It reminds me of a quote I read one time in regards to two people on a Forum that were basically just name calling.. the poster said.
"Arguing on the internet is like competing in the special Olympics, sure you might win, but your still retarded"
(Granted it's an insensitve comment to those that may have family who have competed in special olympics. Personally I have volunteered as a trainer in the past. but, i will say, there is a point to be had there, regardless of how crudely it was stated)

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Today, 14:39
It reminds me of a quote I read one time in regards to two people on a Forum that were basically just name calling.. the poster said.
"Arguing on the internet is like competing in the special Olympics, sure you might win, but your still retarded"
(Granted it's an insensitve comment to those that may have family who have competed in special olympics. Personally I have volunteered as a trainer in the past. but, i will say, there is a point to be had there, regardless of how crudely it was stated)

Sad that you feel you have to qualify your statement by profusely denying any affinity with those who are construed to be politically incorrect. You know that people would automatically "tar you with the same brush" had you not, yet all you were doing was offering a quote. In my opinion the world has gone mad with sugar coating what we say in fear that our words may mortally wound another.

There, I've just contradicted my own thread. Drat, and double drat!!! ;)

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
I agree with Adam, much as it shocks myself. I see no reason that the arguments and bickering could by at least some, and certainly for myself, be considered cathartic and even enjoyable.

If heated debates and argument are not your thing then I can understand why people would choose not to be involved but I don't see why the preferences of those who do not enjoy arguments and heated debated should supercede those who do enjoy such things.

The arguments and debating should undoubtedly be restricted to particular threads which are by their nature going to be controversial, e.g. poltics and religion, and not be allowed to enter uncontroversial threads e.g. restraunt reviews.

Pretty well much agree with all of this.

I think the recent attacks on the mods are a symptom of people not respecting your point in the third paragraph.

Individuals shouldn't be allowed to post whatever they want, wherever they want. Bickering, sarcasm and baiting can have their place but then so should normal discussions without them.

IMO, the "dictatorship" wailings have been a lament by those who want to control the tone of the boards for themselves.

Access_guy49

Registered User.
Local time
Sad that you feel you have to qualify your statement by profusely denying any affinity with those who are construed to be politically incorrect. You know that people would automatically "tar you with the same brush" had you not, yet all you were doing was offering a quote. In my opinion the world has gone mad with sugar coating what we say in fear that our words may mortally wound another.

There, I've just contradicted my own thread. Drat, and double drat!!! ;)

It's true, i'm not a fan of political correctness, generally i hate people that are offended on behalf of someone that ought to be. with this particular example, I wasn't so much "profusley denying affinity with political incorrectness" as much as i was stating that I have volunteered as a trainer for a kid competing in the special olympics and i firmly believe that the quote is somewhat insensitive. I have no problem with the word "retard" that aspect doesn't bug me in the least, and if people wish to be offended by that.. so be it. My problem really was with the impication that being retarded is a bad thing. I mean, these kids, a lot of them live VERY happy lives. If you spend time with them, it can almost make you envious. I have never seen a kid in the DC class have any disagreements with another kid about politics, healthcare, war, anything really..

ignorance is bliss...

So i do agree that political correctness is stupid.

Vassago

Local time
This is why I want to come back as a cat... preferably a non-neutered one. :eek:

HiTechCoach

Local time
Whatever happened to the Golden Rule?

Would you be proud to show your Mother and God your posts? You should be.

Please submit to your pray lists:

INSERT INTO AWF ( Members(ajetrumpet).Heart ) SELECT [Love and Kindness] FROM God's.Heart;

Signing off ...

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Would you be proud to show your Mother and God your posts?
God sees everything, so I'm told.

I bet you didn't get an infraction for this insult mr. perfect. there is more nonsense that goes on around this forum than there is in the real world. unbelieveable....

btw dude, the IRS classified me as a felon thanks to your submission last year. I would take a shot at you for that, but I'm a nice guy so I won't. Plus i wouldn't want you to lose any clients over the deal....pffff :rolleyes: I'm all about helping your image. :D

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
This is why I want to come back as a cat... preferably a non-neutered one. :eek:

non-neutered cats can lead a hard and frustrating life, fighting over females or being fought over if female, no a neutered cat spoilt rotten by some lovely woman owner, thats the life, mind you I'm almost there now. :D

Brian

Vassago

Local time
Yeah, but the whole cutting special areas thing concerns me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom