Unreported USA (1 Viewer)

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Today, 13:00
Did anyone else watch this on Friday night?

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/unreported-world/4od

As I watched it occurred to me that the same country probably donates millions in charity every year (as do the citizens of the UK) to help fight poverty in other countries. Shouldn't charity begin at home? Shouldn't we all be taking care of our own before we take care of others?

I don't grudge anyone some help, but surely we have to first show compassion to those people on our doorstep that need it?

By the way, I am aware that the report is about the USA but it's only a matter of time before this happens in the UK, in my opinion.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 05:00
It is so much easier to see the need outside of your own borders than it is to see it (or admit it) within. You are correct though - it would seem that any country should really be trying to take care of its own before venturing out to take on the world.

It really doesn't make sense (unless one adopts a "world citizen" view but that still gets you back to - shouldn't you make things better in your own neighborhood before trying to do it outside of that).

PNGBill

Win10 Office Pro 2016
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:00
Charity begins at home is correct but "Begins" doesn't mean "End".

Just like a Family shouldn't donate any time or money when there are Things to do at home, then if this was true, there would be no Charity as getting the Home 100% is like chasing infinity.

We can and should critique what our Govt does with our tax money but the job of getting our own house in order will never be completed so somewhere along the line there should be Charity funds even though we know we have more to do at home.

Bit mixed up but I trust you get the point.

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
quick story that a friend of mine told me today - mad me a bit mad..

she was walking to met a frient in a bar and she was approached by two men (middle of London -business district - so she wasn't scare ) -and they asked her for some money as they had drunk all the moneys they had recived from selling the big issuse - when she said no - she got a mouth full of abuse ( bad mistake i have met her friend- big lad - and I am 6 foot- ... has to turn sideays to go through doors - get my drift .. ) anyway it efectively has kill that charity stream to both her and me -- Stave you little oinks...

I do give to charities and the odd tramp (bum) - but its on my terms
as to charity begins at home - that is a hard one - and while there may be some hard luck cases in hte US/UK - compare them to Africa - no contest
us westerners have it too easy ...
a proper days work - well i don't see many people doing this ..

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
Today, 07:00
I do give to charities and the odd tramp (bum) - but its on my terms
as to charity begins at home - that is a hard one - and while there may be some hard luck cases in hte US/UK - compare them to Africa - no contest
us westerners have it too easy ...
a proper days work - well i don't see many people doing this ..

I agree, even those here who are homeless have it better than most people in impoverished countries.

Although I agree in helping the poor here too, I think its great if you can do both.

PNGBill

Win10 Office Pro 2016
Local time
I remember a story when Lord helpus was being driven around London a few years ago and while stopped at the lights a Homeless man knocked on the back door window.
Old helpus opened the window and the man asked if he could spare 50p for a coffee.
Helpus replied "Neither a Lender or Borrower be I" and quoted some obscure writer.
The man went back to the side walk and thought for a short while. Then knocked again and when Helpus opened the window the man said "#&@^ DH Lawrence"
and walked away.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 22:00
Take a look at the bigger picture.
Are we really giving to the needy when Africa is a net exporter of both money and food?

Yes. They pay a fortune in loan interest to the developed world. The food export is foreign trade to service those debts. The "support" given them is all about helping them produce more for export lest they default on those loans.

PNGBill

Win10 Office Pro 2016
Local time
Sad when you here the Leader has swiss bank accounts and private jets and we should give to aid his people:eek:

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Are we really giving to the needy when Africa is a net exporter of both money and food?

Yes. They pay a fortune in loan interest to the developed world. The food export is foreign trade to service those debts. The "support" given them is all about helping them produce more for export lest they default on those loans.

The simple answer for an Australian would be no!

Despite being one of the richest countries, Australia doesn't really seem to do much in way of foreign assistance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_Development_Assistance

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time

Strangely, they never seem to be short of arms and amunition though :mad:

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
I remember a story when Lord helpus was being driven around London a few years ago and while stopped at the lights a Homeless man knocked on the back door window.
Old helpus opened the window and the man asked if he could spare 50p for a coffee.
Helpus replied "Neither a Lender or Borrower be I" and quoted some obscure writer.
The man went back to the side walk and thought for a short while. Then knocked again and when Helpus opened the window the man said "#&@^ DH Lawrence"
and walked away.
"Neither a lender nor a borrower be" is actually a quote from that very obscure author W Shakespeare. Pretty sure it comes from "Hamlet"

PNGBill

Win10 Office Pro 2016
Local time
Thanks Rabbie, I have read D H Lawrence more then Shakspeare:D
Although Michiner is my favorite

ChipperT

Banned in 13 Countries
Local time
Ah yes, Shakespeare. The 13th Apostle.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
It is amazing that so called 'civilized' countries do not take care of their own troubles in their own territories. Giving money to other countries while your own people are hungry and homeless is as crazy as fighting against terrorism in another country while it is not safe to go out at night in your own cities.

Did anyone else watch this on Friday night?

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/unreported-world/4od

As I watched it occurred to me that the same country probably donates millions in charity every year (as do the citizens of the UK) to help fight poverty in other countries. Shouldn't charity begin at home? Shouldn't we all be taking care of our own before we take care of others?

I don't grudge anyone some help, but surely we have to first show compassion to those people on our doorstep that need it?

By the way, I am aware that the report is about the USA but it's only a matter of time before this happens in the UK, in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom