Solved Update FY Start and End (1 Viewer)

EM2021

Local time
Yesterday, 22:47
You absolutely do NOT want to hardcode the date. You want to use variables. Have a visible form field to accept the beginning year. Then in the button to run the report, have something like the following:
Code:
If Len(Me.StartYear) = 4 AND IsNumeric(Me.StartYear) Then
    Me.StartDate = "9/1/" & Me.StartYear
    Me.EndDate = "8/31/" & Me.StartYear + 1
Else
    Msgbox "Please Enter a valid year."vbOKOnly
    Exit Sub
End If

DoCmd.OpenReport "DoCmd.OpenReport "YourReport", acViewPreview, , "DataDT Between #" & Me.StartDate & "# AND #" & Me.EndDate & "#"

If you want to display the start/end dates on the report just reference the form fields.
Thanks, I agree. The VBA is where I get lost in this report. Where, specifically, would I put this?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 20:47
Current Date would be ideal.
Don't remember if you said there's anything in the Default Value property but try replacing it with this.

=Date()

EM2021

Local time
Don't remember if you said there's anything in the Default Value property but try replacing it with this.

=Date()
It is defaulting to the last day in the FY End. That is what I need to figure out how to change.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
It is defaulting to the last day in the FY End. That is what I need to figure out how to change.
If you go to design view and select the box; in the properties window, what do you see in the default value property?

EM2021

Local time
If you go to design view and select the box; in the properties window, what do you see in the default value property?
It is blank.
1632238139045.png

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:47
Current Date would be ideal.
So, On Sept 1, you NEVER want to run last year's report? Reports need criteria. The start year is the minimum. If you use Date(), you would need to have additional logic to test the date. If it is >=9/1, then you use that year. Otherwise, you have to subtract 1 from the year. You can make a default, but I would not do it this way.

T code I posted goes into the CLICK event of the button that runs the report. It does NOT go into the report itself. You could modify this code to "assume" a year based on the logic from the previous paragraph.

If you are currently using an embedded macro to run the report, convert the macro to VBA so you can add the suggested code in front of the DoCmd.OpenReport method.

EM2021

Local time
That points to some code putting the date in there for you. You'll have to find out where it is. Do you know how to do that?
I'm in the VBA code, but I'm not super familiar so maybe it's not jumping out at me. Any pointers? I've searched the 8/31/2021, "Report Date", "default" and I'm not finding anything.

Additional comment, the Report Date was changing automatically throughout FY21. So this is a new issue as we've come in to the new year.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I'm in the VBA code, but I'm not super familiar so maybe it's not jumping out at me. Any pointers? I've searched the 8/31/2021, "Report Date", "default" and I'm not finding anything.

Additional comment, the Report Date was changing automatically throughout FY21. So this is a new issue as we've come in to the new year.
Maybe you could copy and paste the entire code page here, so we can examine it.

EM2021

Local time
Maybe you could copy and paste the entire code page here, so we can examine it.
Here are all the Subs under the Form code window. Let me know if this is not where I should be.

Option Compare Database

Private Sub cmdFYTDBUConstituentSummary_Click()
If Not IsDate(Forms![Development Report Manager]!ReportDate.Value) Then MsgBox "Please pick a Report Date!", vbOKOnly, Me.Caption: Exit Sub
If Me!cboSchool.ListIndex = -1 Then MsgBox "Please pick a school in the dropdown box!", vbOKOnly, Me.Caption: Exit Sub
'
DoCmd.OpenReport "FYTD BU Constituent Summary", acViewReport, , , acWindowNormal
End Sub

Private Sub cmdFYTDBUEndowmentCommitments_Click()
If Not IsDate(Forms![Development Report Manager]!ReportDate.Value) Then MsgBox "Please pick a Report Date!", vbOKOnly, Me.Caption: Exit Sub
If Me!cboSchool.ListIndex = -1 Then MsgBox "Please pick a school in the dropdown box!", vbOKOnly, Me.Caption: Exit Sub
'
DoCmd.OpenReport "FYTD BU Commitments", acViewReport, , "[DTE] <= #" & Me![ReportDate] & "# AND [FundCategory] IN ('Endowment Faculty & Staff','Endowment Scholarships') and ([BU] IN " & Me![cboSchool] & " OR [RBU] IN " & Me![cboSchool] & ")", acWindowNormal
'
[Reports]![FYTD BU Commitments]!lblTitle.Caption = "FY" & Right(Year(Me!FYEnd), 2) & " Fiscal-Year-To-Date Faculty and Scholarship Endowment Commitments: " & Me![cboSchool].Column(0)
[Reports]![FYTD BU Commitments]!lblSubtitle.Caption = Me!FYStart.Value & " through " & Me!ReportDate.Value & " - " & Format(Me!FYElapsed.Value, "0.0%") & " of Fiscal Year Elapsed"
End Sub

Private Sub cmdFYTDBUFundCommitments_Click()
'
DoCmd.OpenReport "FYTD BU Fund Commitment Totals", acViewReport, , "[DTE] <= #" & Me![ReportDate] & "# AND ([BU] IN " & Me![cboSchool] & " OR [RBU] IN " & Me![cboSchool] & ")", acWindowNormal
'
[Reports]![FYTD BU Fund Commitment Totals]!lblTitle.Caption = "FY" & Right(Year(Me!FYEnd), 2) & " Fiscal-Year-To-Date Fund Totals: " & Me![cboSchool].Column(0)
[Reports]![FYTD BU Fund Commitment Totals]!lblSubtitle.Caption = Me!FYStart.Value & " through " & Me!ReportDate.Value & " - " & Format(Me!FYElapsed.Value, "0.0%") & " of Fiscal Year Elapsed"
End Sub

Private Sub cmdFYTDBUGiftInKind_Click()
'
DoCmd.OpenReport "FYTD BU Commitments", acViewReport, , "[Type] In ('Gift-in-Kind') AND [DTE] <= #" & Me![ReportDate] & "# AND ([BU] IN " & Me![cboSchool] & " OR [RBU] IN " & Me![cboSchool] & ")", acWindowNormal
'
[Reports]![FYTD BU Commitments]!lblTitle.Caption = "FY" & Right(Year(Me!FYEnd), 2) & " Fiscal-Year-To-Date Gift-In-Kind Commitments: " & Me![cboSchool].Column(0)
[Reports]![FYTD BU Commitments]!lblSubtitle.Caption = Me!FYStart.Value & " through " & Me!ReportDate.Value & " - " & Format(Me!FYElapsed.Value, "0.0%") & " of Fiscal Year Elapsed"
End Sub

Private Sub cmdFYTDBUNewCash_Click()
'
DoCmd.OpenReport "FYTD BU Commitments", acViewReport, , "[Type] In ('Cash','Stock/Property','Stock/Property (Sold)') AND [DTE] <= #" & Me![ReportDate] & "# AND ([BU] IN " & Me![cboSchool] & " OR [RBU] IN " & Me![cboSchool] & ")", acWindowNormal
'
[Reports]![FYTD BU Commitments]!lblTitle.Caption = "FY" & Right(Year(Me!FYEnd), 2) & " Fiscal-Year-To-Date New Cash Commitments: " & Me![cboSchool].Column(0)
End Sub

Private Sub cmdFYTDBUPayments_Click()
'
DoCmd.OpenReport "FYTD BU Payments", acViewReport, , "[DTE] <= #" & Me![ReportDate] & "# AND ([BU] IN " & Me![cboSchool] & " OR [RBU] IN " & Me![cboSchool] & ")", acWindowNormal
'
[Reports]![FYTD BU Payments]!lblTitle.Caption = "FY" & Right(Year(Me!FYEnd), 2) & " Fiscal-Year-To-Date Payments: " & Me![cboSchool].Column(0)
[Reports]![FYTD BU Payments]!lblSubtitle.Caption = Me!FYStart.Value & " through " & Me!ReportDate.Value & " - " & Format(Me!FYElapsed.Value, "0.0%") & " of Fiscal Year Elapsed"
End Sub

Private Sub cmdFYTDBUPledges_Click()
DoCmd.OpenReport "FYTD BU Commitments", acViewReport, , "[Type] In ('Pledge','MG Pledge','Planned Gift') AND [DTE] <= #" & Me![ReportDate] & "# AND ([BU] IN " & Me![cboSchool] & " OR [RBU] IN " & Me![cboSchool] & ")", acWindowNormal
[Reports]![FYTD BU Commitments]!lblTitle.Caption = "FY" & Right(Year(Me!FYEnd), 2) & " Fiscal-Year-To-Date Pledge Commitments: " & Me![cboSchool].Column(0)
End Sub

Private Sub cmdFYTDBUSummary_Click()
DoCmd.OpenReport "FYTD BU Summary", acViewReport, , , acWindowNormal
End Sub

Private Sub cmdFYTDSummary_Click()
DoCmd.OpenReport "FYTD Summary", acViewReport, , , acWindowNormal
End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()
Me!ReportDate.Value = DateSerial(Year(Date), Month(Date), 0)
Me!cboSchool.Value = "SOMED"
End Sub

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Private Sub Form_Load()
Me!ReportDate.Value = DateSerial(Year(Date), Month(Date), 0)
Me!cboSchool.Value = "SOMED"
End Sub
The above part... Try changing it to this:
Code:
Private Sub Form_Load()
'Me!ReportDate.Value = DateSerial(Year(Date), Month(Date), 0)
'Me!cboSchool.Value = "SOMED"
End Sub
Basically, just add single quotes in front of those two lines. Then, make sure in the Default Value property of those two boxes, you have the following:

For the "ReportDate" box, it should say: =Date()
For the "cboSchool" dropdown, it should say: "SOMED"

Hope that helps...

EM2021

Local time
The above part... Try changing it to this:
Code:
Private Sub Form_Load()
'Me!ReportDate.Value = DateSerial(Year(Date), Month(Date), 0)
'Me!cboSchool.Value = "SOMED"
End Sub
Basically, just add single quotes in front of those two lines. Then, make sure in the Default Value property of those two boxes, you have the following:

For the "ReportDate" box, it should say: =Date()
For the "cboSchool" dropdown, it should say: "SOMED"

Hope that helps...
Bingo! Thanks so much.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
just an FYI, you can get the fiscal year of any date easily with a function

Code:
Function GetFiscalYear(Dt As Variant, Optional StartMonth As Integer = 9) As Variant

If Not IsDate(Dt) Then Exit Function

If Month(Dt) >= StartMonth Then
        GetFiscalYear = (Year(Dt) + 1)
    Else
        GetFiscalYear = Year(Dt)
    End If

End Function

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@EM2021 you might want to review some code written by experts. You don't get points for mushing all the if statement onto a single line or for never indenting anything.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 04:47
Pat, I don't' believe the code is the OP's, else they would have known where to look?

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Option Compare Database

Private Sub cmdFYTDBUConstituentSummary_Click()
If Me!cboSchool.List
You would also be doing yourself a big favor if you added Option Explicit to the declarations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom