Urgent answer welcomed! (1 Viewer)

Matizo

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:22
Hello,

I have a question. Is that possible to find a number of days between two dates BUT if those two days are from different record? (if we assume that dates are in ascending order) (uk date format)

For example:

StartDate EndDate
Record 1 01/02/07 28/02/07
Record 2 18/03/07 25/03/07

And now find number of days between EndDate from Record 1 and StartDate from Record 2??

Any ideas??
Thanks!

Moniker

VBA Pro
Local time
Today, 16:22
Create a Make Table query and make a table called t_DateDifferences. Run the query and only add the StartDate values into t_DateDifferences. Open t_DateDifferences and delete the very first record. Go to Design View and add a field called "EndDate", data type Date.

Create an Append query. Append all of the EndDate values from your original table into the table you just made, t_DateDifferences.

The StartDate from your original record 2 is now lined up with the EndDate from your original record 1, putting them both in the same record and making the math from this point forward self-explanatory.

Matizo

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks! I know what you mean.
Can I create a macro that will perform all these tasks for me automatically?
So that the user could do it with one click of the button?

Thanks again!

Bat17

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:22
How about using a query with a calculated field to add one to your record number, then use a second query to join the original table + query together using the adjusted record number. You can now have the dates in separate columns and work with them

Peter

Moniker

VBA Pro
Local time
Today, 16:22
You could, I guess, but it'd be a lot easier in VBA. (I'm not sure you can delete an individual record with a macro without calling VBA, but I don't use macros much because they're too limited.)

I poked around a little bit and didn't see how to select a column/field and move it, nor did I see how to move an entire column, offset by one, in SQL alone. Programmatically, it's pretty straightforward, but it'll take more than RunSQL commands out of a macro.

Bat17

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:22
first query would be something like
SELECT [ID]+1 AS newID, tblDates.startDate AS NewStart, tblDates.EndDate AS NewEnd FROM tblDates;

second query
SELECT tblDates.ID, qryDates.NewEnd, tblDates.startDate, [startdate]-[newend] AS days
FROM qryDates INNER JOIN tblDates ON qryDates.newID = tblDates.ID;

HTH

Peter

Matizo

Registered User.
Local time
Hello again,

The way with two queries work fine!:)

Thanks Peter!

regards,
matt