US keeps exalted company, sort of (1 Viewer)

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:38
Your countrymen edited out his own comments, in an attemp to correct his position.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:38
Brian

America is an Empire inhabiting conquered lands non of which it has given back.

Actually, that is true of a lot of countries if you go back far enough in history. Did the French Republic (the conqueror) ever give back land to the French royal family? How about the German democratic republics and what they did with the Hapsburgs and the other royal families of Germany? Or how about the Russian republic and the former royalty thereof? How far back do you want to go with that concept of yours?

Your overly simplistic statement is misleading and perhaps even totally incorrect depending on how you choose to look at it.

If we limit our talk to the current landowners and the immediately previous owners, then here is the truth: The actual conquerors of those USA lands IN NO CASE still occupy the lands they conquered. The original colonies (now 13 of our states) fought for and won their independence from England, who was the original conqueror. The remaining 37 states were PURCHASED from the original conquering country, usually Spain, France, or Portugal.

You MIGHT have an argument about some of the USA's Native American tribes. The USA's record for treatment of those tribes is NOT pretty and I'm not trying to say that it is. The concept of values involved in the treaties that led to USA claims on tribal lands definitely was not a "meeting of the minds" (a key phrase in contract law), but our stance on that subject has improved in the last 50-75 years. Yes, it is probably in the category of "too little, too late" - but the point is that even for the Native American lands, we thought we were peacefully purchasing THAT land and the negotiators came away with that opinion, too. There, the violence came after the purchase occurred and the tenants didn't want to move. (Hence the "no meeting of minds" to which I alluded.)

In summary regarding titles to the land, we paid someone for every acre we have. For the first 13 states, we paid in our own blood to throw off the British conquerors. For the rest of the states, we paid in cash to the foreign conquerors OR allowed the settlers to hold a free election to join the USA. (Texas, for an example of the latter.)

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 11:38
Yes Doc my statement was a simplistic statement in response to the often reiculous attack by your countrymen about the British empire.
I could take issue with most of your points but this is not the thread for it.

Brian

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:38
We counter attack. You would be hard pressed to find a thread started by Americans that is anti British Empire.

Last edited:

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
You don't have to start the thread that way but just raise the issue when you are losing the argument of the current thread.
Note that I have already agreed that this thread is unnecessarily anti American, but I don't see that as a reason for you to bring up issues from centuries ago.

Brian

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
I found the OP rather trite. There was no premise, no invitation for opinion and the title was facetious and sarcastic in tone. Sure the topic is worthy of discussion but there was little skill displayed to draw such out.

ConnorGiles

Strange Traveller
Local time
We won't know what Spikepl meant until he opens up about his intentions of the post.

Just appears as if you are all jumping to conclusions before allowing Spikepl to have his say :confused:

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
We won't know what Spikepl meant until he opens up about his intentions of the post.

Just appears as if you are all jumping to conclusions before allowing Spikepl to have his say :confused:

Well that's his fault. The onus is on the speaker to make themselves understood. We can only respond to what is presented. He may never come back to clarify. Who knows? It's just a poor post in my opinion.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 07:38

The OP was posted a week ago. He had plenty of time to jump back in and tell us he didn't mean the post to be an obvious and blatant attack on America just because.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
The OP was posted a week ago. He had plenty of time to jump back in and tell us he didn't mean the post to be an obvious and blatant attack on America just because.

You really are a sensitive bunch. Not so sensitive not to continue to kill in cold blood some of your imprisoned, fellow citizens, but sensitive never the less.

Maybe if you don't like people sarcastically commenting on your death penalty stats, you could suppress them like China or N Korea?

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Until you have a one hundred percent perfect justice system then IMO the death penalty is not justifiable because you have no way of correcting a mistake.

In passing, it is noticable that of the more civilised countries the USA is one of the few still to use the death penalty.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 07:38
You really are a sensitive bunch. Not so sensitive not to continue to kill in cold blood some of your imprisoned, fellow citizens, but sensitive never the less.

Maybe if you don't like people sarcastically commenting on your death penalty stats, you could suppress them like China or N Korea?

Hey, look, more of the "All Americans are the same!" idiocy, combined with "You're all evil because you don't just arbitrarily change the law to agree with my personal beliefs" and the assumption that every American pointing out that this entire thread is just a thinly veiled attack against America must obviously be pro-death-penalty.

Bravo for posting the dumbest thing I'll likely see all day!

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time

A sardonic tone doesn't encourage discourse as you well know Anthony. You can do much better than this.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:38
Brian, if you take issue, it will be quibble-level issues. We bought our land from prior conquerors or allowed the territories to vote on joining us.

There are A LOT of other things we have done that are not so good and I'm not blind to them. My statement was intended to be narrowly crafted and to the best of my knowledge is accurate within its narrow scope of intent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom