Using Access database on Google Drive or Dropbox. (1 Viewer)

Zak14

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:04
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of sharing a backend of a split access database using these services.

I want to access my database from different locations. More than 1 user may be using it at the same time.

Can I put the back-end of a split database in a Google Drive folder or a Dropbox folder and have multiple copies of the front-end for each user in their own location.

I know that Dropbox creates copies if two people update the backend at the same time. What about Google Drive? How does Google Drive handle it.

What are the potential problems of using these two services to share a database?

Thanks.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 23:04
1. Why don't you google for the answer - you are not the only one ever asking such a question
2. Look at Similar threads at the bottom of this page

Above is not to be rude, but simply to aimed at pointing out to you a faster way of getting desired info.

Zak14

Registered User.
Local time
I used google, but i couldn't find anything for Google drive - only dropbox. And what I did find for Google drive was not referring a split database.

zeeshanaslamdurrani

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:04
No this kind of setup does not work ... why don't you put your backend on a shared location on a lan and access the backend from front end from every users pc

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
no - you can't directly.

a) you can share use with a LAN
b) you can try a WAN, but often performance is not acceptable over a WAN
c) investigate using, say, SQL server, with a hosting service such as AWS (Amazon)
d) I have seen services that host a shared Access database.
e) use a web database, although this needs reworking your access database.

Grumm

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:04
f) you can use sharepoint. (but you need accounts for all the users...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom