VPS hosting (1 Viewer)

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Today, 11:14
Has anyone got any experience with holding down a VPS account.

Does anyone ever just use it as a workspace that they can log in and use excel for instance?

It's just the marketing seems to completely focus on the space as for web server hosting only. Would it be unsuitable as a location for personal work?

Thanks

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I've used such systems with remote login to a Win XP or Win Server setup. There is the obvious lag but if you get one reasonably close to you its workable.

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 20:14
I like to use Dropbox.

It works well for me.

Shado

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:14
VPS has its benefits if you want a remote desktop. But, as previously mentioned, it will be laggy unless you've got one close to you. I'm in the process of getting one for this purpose actually.. Make my work easier as I can do it anywhere! :)

DRobertshaw

Local time
If you had lots of files and you wanted to keeps revision history and access them from anywhere you could use the VPS to set up a Document Management System (DMS) but if you only have limited files then Dropbox is enough.

Alansidman

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:14
Dropbox works well for me. It also allows for file sharing which I like for dealing with remote worksites and clients

Don't forget about SkyDrive which offers up 25G of space verus the 2G or 3G offered by dropbox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom