What did you do for your summer vacation? (1 Viewer)

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:19
Holy Crap :eek:

How did a question about holidays devolve into a $h!t fight over the relative merits of public and private employment :confused:

selenau837

Can still see y'all......
Local time
Today, 16:19
John Big Booty said:
Holy Crap :eek:

How did a question about holidays devolve into a $h!t fight over the relative merits of public and private employment :confused:

Welcome to the forums. Hijacking is an artform among us. :D ;)

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Rich said:
Is that given every year after the 15th year?
No it acrues at the end of each 15 year period.

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
John Big Booty said:
Yes, it's 60 days after 15 years of continuos services.

Well, now... THAT would be GREAT!!!! Because, on your 16th year, years 2-16 could count as another set of consecutive 15 years, and the 17th year, years 3-17 could garner you another 60 days.... and so on and so on.... lol
:p

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
selenau837 said:
Welcome to the forums. Hijacking is an artform among us. :D ;)
I'm reasonably acquainted with the art of the thread hijack, I just didn't expect the question to raise the level of controversy it did :rolleyes:

lmnop7854

Quittin' Time
Local time
Rich said:
her indoors

That's the one I don't understand. Is it called such because she is always indoors? How sad. ;)

Lisa

lmnop7854

Quittin' Time
Local time
KenHigg said:
That's kind of what I was thinking... A bit condescending in a way...:(

Yeah - at least "cupcake" connotes something sweet and delicious, not unlike "honey", "sweetheart", etc. What I get from "her indoors" is "she who is to remain inside, and tend to her duties". I would think you wouldn't want to call her that to her face. :p

Lisa

KenHigg

Local time
lmnop7854 said:
....I would think you wouldn't want to call her that to her face. :p

Lisa

:eek:

How did those two words get together in the first place - They kinda don't fit do they?

R

Rich

KenHigg said:
That's kind of what I was thinking... A bit condescending in a way...:(
No more so than Redskins, it's origins can be traced back to the Cockanee tribe of Old England, just a term of endearment :p
Now of course had I said battleaxe.................

lmnop7854

Quittin' Time
Local time
KenHigg said:
:eek:

How did those two words get together in the first place - They kinda don't fit do they?

Grammatically, no, but then again, we will probably get pounded about how our American English is a bastardized version of UK English, and therefore, our grammatical rules do not apply. But if you think about it in a UK fashion, saying "her indoors" is akin to saying "her Majesty", in form only (not meaning).

Lisa

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
lmnop7854 said:
But if you think about it in a UK fashion, saying "her indoors" is akin to saying "her Majesty", in form only (not meaning).

Lisa
Actually, that's the way I've always taken the term.
"Her indoors" is something I would love to be. To me, it refers to someone who is "up in the house" tapping her nails and relying upon her waitstaff to bring her lemonade and sweeties, not "out in the yard" working the garden and roughing up her soft, delicate hands.

p595659

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:19
meh, back to the original question I'm working all summer until the last week in August. I'm seeing My Chemical Romance and Muse the next day after my last day of work. I'm also going to try and sneak in an Amsterdam trip in before I start work again in the Inland Revenue & Customs department. :rolleyes:

oh no, I'm going to be corrupted by working for the govenment :)

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
p595659 said:
I'm seeing My Chemical Romance and Muse the next day after my last day of work.

I thought they cancelled the Chemical Romance concert at Lowlands :cool:

p595659

Registered User.
Local time
rak said:
I thought they cancelled the Chemical Romance concert at Lowlands :cool:

well I ain't heard anything about that. MCR is the covering band for the Muse concert in Edinborugh on 24th August which is where I'll be. :)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 21:19
lmnop7854 said:
Yeah - at least "cupcake" connotes something sweet and delicious, not unlike "honey", "sweetheart", etc. What I get from "her indoors" is "she who is to remain inside, and tend to her duties". I would think you wouldn't want to call her that to her face. :p

Lisa
The phrase "'er indoors" stems from a UK TV show called "Minder". The star character (Arthur Daley) always referred to his wife as 'er indoors'. The term has now become very popular in the UK over the years.

I refer to my wife as 'er indoors and she even refers to herself as 'er indoors.

The women in the UK are not as supersensitive as they are in the USA so it is an accepted, perfectly normal phrase. Certainly not as sickly as "Cupcake" or "Honeybunch", "sweetheart". . . . yuk;) :rolleyes: :p

Col

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
ColinEssex said:
I refer to my wife as 'er indoors and she even refers to herself as 'er indoors.

So in the Uk , you refer to yourself as 'his outdoors' ? :confused:

I must say that when Ken used Cupcake the first time, it took me a while to understand who/what he was refering to. Once the nickle fall, I must say that I find the expression quite amusing ;)

KenHigg

Local time
ColinEssex said:
Certainly not as sickly as "Cupcake" or "Honeybunch", "sweetheart". . . . yuk;) :rolleyes: :p

Col

:( :( :(

Rak said:
I must say that when Ken used Cupcake the first time, it took me a while to understand who/what he was refering to. Once the nickle fall, I must say that I find the expression quite amusing

Because my darling wife is small and sweet - Like a cupcake :) :) :)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 21:19
rak said:
So in the Uk , you refer to yourself as 'his outdoors' ? :confused:

My wife refers to me as 'im indoors

I must say that when Ken used Cupcake the first time, it took me a while to understand who/what he was refering to. Once the nickle fall, I must say that I find the expression quite amusing ;)

Its ok really, I was winding up Kenneth;) :D I wouldn't use it though, its not my style all this darling stuff. :rolleyes:

Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom