White Lives Don't Matter - apparently (1 Viewer)

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:52
on several occasions, I was "forced" as a member of the entire staff to participate in "Diversity Training".
Unless you have attended these training's you have no idea how crazy these folks are.

Progressive discipline is another eye opener. Living in CA I am sure we wrote the book on this nonsense.

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:52
There is an excellent movie called Hidden Figures. It is about the women who actually made the computations needed by NASA. They were mostly black and you can see the ill-effects of the Jim Crow laws.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
And yet no one actually challenges the training. I guess it is really hard to put your job on the line for a principle if you need the job so I do understand. I'm just glad I've never had to take one of these insane classes. But if everyone is afraid to stand up, how can we make it stop?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:52
There is an excellent movie called Hidden Figures. It is about the women who actually made the computations needed by NASA. They were mostly black and you can see the ill-effects of the Jim Crow laws.

Excellent reference, Pat, and a great movie. I add my voice to your recommendation.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:52
Hmmm, I wonder if its on Netflix right now...

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The interesting thing is that the movie is about real people. At the end, you get to see pictures of the real women being portrayed in the film. OK, there might be some dramatization. But all three of the female protagonists actually existed.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Hidden figures is DVD only on netflix in the US.

Theres a documentary series on Netflix called "How to fix a drug scandal" I was tangently involved with the underlying cases and the fallout from the scandal. I worked with a few of the people involved, One is a good friend and we worked closely for several years. It's kinda cool to watch since I know the story and many of the people in it.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
There has been uproar in the football world in the last 24 hours, with both teams walking off the pitch in solidarity over an alleged racist incident. A 4th official (like an assistant ref) was speaking to the main ref and said, "The black one over there." This caused outrage, which resulted in a black member of the visiting team (can I even say that nowadays?) to so aggressively confront the assistant ref that he had to be restrained, fearing violence against that ref.

If this was an outrageous racist incident, suggesting that you cannot refer to someone by race anymore, how can we have an entire movement called Black Lives Matter which refers to people by race? Can someone please explain to this dinosaur, in very simple terms, why what appears to me to be a double-standard is in fact not a double-standard?

It reminds me of the situation where we are not allowed to call blackboards "blackboards" any more, and instead have to refer to them as "chalkboards". But it is fine to say "whiteboards". Is this another double-standard, or am I failing to understand that it is ok to discriminate based on the colour of your skin, but only in one direction?

Why is "Black-Friday" fine, but not "blackboard"?

How do you have "positive discrimination" jobs in the US if you cannot refer to anyone by race?

I honestly don't understand any of this. Simple explanations please, so I can understand why I should be offended by it all. If I can understand why, then I too can be constantly offended by everything and with good reason.

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
A complex one is fine if a simple one doesn't exist, if that is the route to happiness. Although, an Occam's Razor approach makes things more digestible.

Edit: I like to divide things up in my mind via algos and an engineering philosophy to understand things. It is a bit like refactoring your code. Boil things down to their essence. When there are conflicts, I want to find the bugs in the logic. By eliminating those bugs, I may have an insight and say, "Ah, I get it now!"

When I first heard about the football incident, I was saying, "What on earth is a 4th offical doing being racist towards the visiting team? How stupid!" But when I later found out what happened, I was shocked.

It would be good if some left-wing advocates also chipped in. @moke123 We need you!

Here is a link to an article about it, where John Barnes thinks it is not racist: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...ial-centre-PSG-Istanbul-race-allegations.html

I can't tell you his skin colour, because that is racist. Is his skin colour important in this argument? You tell me. If it is relevant, how can we refer to this if we are barred due to that reference being racist? If it is not relevant, why do whites get called "white supremacists" if their skin colour is not relevant? Think about that for a minute.

I ask you to look at the picture of John Barnes so you know who he is, that is all I can say. Is John being racist for saying the incident was not racist? Your views please.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The simple explanation is that people these days need less reason to be incensed over a remark and need less reason to not make an unwelcome remark. Society has reached a new high point (or maybe LOW point?) of divisiveness.

When people get stressed they act out. The world is in turmoil with near explosive emigration pressures. Population pressure and COVID have increased background stress levels. Various controversial elections and other political pressures globally have stirred up the mix. Not only the USA has had political issues. I've seen headlines regarding regime changes - and REFUSALS to change - in many countries around the world.

Stress is higher than it has been in a long time. When stress rises, the ability to calmly reason diminishes. When I said that people need less reason to react, there was a hidden implication that they also HAVE less ABILITY to reason than they normally would have and so are more likely to react.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
@moke123 We need you!
I would probably say "the black guy over there"

Question is though what language does the guy speak?
Cameroon has several languages mostly french and english.

Per google translate Negru in english can be Black, Dark, Negro, and several more.
It could also be a slur where he's from. Much like the british slang for cigarette may not go over well in some circles.

So I would say it depends how the recipient translates it.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
My understanding is that it just means black in Romanian, which is the refs nationality. If you type black into Google Translate, the returned word in Romanian is Negru. So why would Google Translate return a slur word as the first choice? It is clear to me it is just a pure translation into the word black. I think it is a bit arrogant that just because we speak English, other peoples languages should be changed to accommodate ours. I've said this many times and I will say it again. I think you should not look at what someone says, but the intent behind what they say. Otherwise, you will just ended up with a divided society with everybody pointing the finger. Oh wait, that is what is happening already! In fact, it has gone to the extremes. The more severely reprimanding people become on perceived insults, the more hate, division and fractured society has become. If we just stop to think a little, and encouraged a lot more tolerance of one another, the world would be a better place, in my dinosauric view.

I personally think what happened was that the Romanian guy spoke in his own language, this was overheard by the black guy, who then thought he was referring to him as the phonetic equivalent. Then he felt offended, which is understandable. But then, when he found out that the guy was just speaking his own language, he tried to pivot his argument towards a different angle, saying you shouldn't use race to describe someone. That is my view. It is like when you go berserk over something and then find you were wrong, it is embarrassing to back down. So, he tried to save face. Or even in the process of trying to save face, rationalising to oneself that indeed the different angle warrants a similar level of aggression. Then, everybody follows suit because people are scared of being labelled racist. So you end up with a with a consensus, forced on those by a kind of social oppression.

The consequence of not admitting your own errors in this type of situation can lead to a totalitarian society where speaking to someone of colour is a minefield. This creates division, in my view. If you want more integration, don't make it risky for innocent-mind people to create connections with those of a different race. A similar thing is happening with gender in America, where many men don't want to be in a room alone with a woman at any time, in case an accusation of sexual assault is thrown their way.

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 08:52
I would probably say "the black guy over there"

Question is though what language does the guy speak?
Cameroon has several languages mostly french and english.

Per google translate Negru in english can be Black, Dark, Negro, and several more.
It could also be a slur where he's from. Much like the british slang for cigarette may not go over well in some circles.
But how should the recipient translate it - i.e., if I know I am in a country where that phrase is innocuous, then I ought to take that into consideration in my reaction. And so should the rest of the world it seems?

Take Mexico for example. If an african american is over there, you would be hard pressed to justify an angry reaction to being called "negro" since that's their word for black!

To me the question isn't, could we google for 10 minutes and come up with a reason why he might have been offended.
It's, "Can we justify an angry reaction in that moment, in that context?"

And I don't know for sure here. I'm just trying to come to a level basis for the argument

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
if I know I am in a country where that phrase is innocuous, then I ought to take that into consideration in my reaction. And so should the rest of the world it seems?
I think I understand what you are saying.

Which of these versions is it?

a) Everybody should have knowledge of all insults in all languages, because if something is televised, it is seen in multiple countries, each with their own different list of insults.

b) We should know all the insults in the language based on where you are currently located, even if you don't speak the language.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Nobody has yet answered my question about the blackboard vs whiteboard thing. Anyone got an answer for that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom