Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:33

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I've used it a fair bit in the past when I was working.
Found coding them much harder than VBA. :)
Still use them infrequently. Especially handy for sharing data.
The audit trail is excellent on them.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 14:33
don't you have to code in a language accepted by android devices when you work with google sheets? I think I have them pre-installed on my phone, as I have a samsung android device. but no, I don't use them.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I wasn't even aware that they had a programming language.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Ah, so something common then.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I get regular newsletters about Google sheets from Ben Collins. Here's an example from Ben Collins website:- https://www.benlcollins.com/spreadsheets/google-sheets-query-sql/

I posted this example because I thought it might be of interests to MS Access programmers. It shows you how to do a query on a Google sheet. I recommend you sign up to Ben's newsletter, there's always something interesting coming through and it's at a reasonable comprehension level "interesting"

Here's a Ben Collins YouTube Video:-

Google Sheets Query Function - Part I

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Tony,
I've used those within Google sheets when I was working, but how would VBA get hold of that data.?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I've used those within Google sheets when I was working, but how would VBA get hold of that data.?

I've never done it myself but I understand that the Google sheet data is in JSON format and can be imported into Excel. There's a guy called Bruce Mcpherson who runs a website called "Desktop Liberation" . Desktop liberation is all about transferring over from Excel to Google sheets and Bruce has many examples of Excel VBA code converted to JavaScript and vice-a-versa

Is a section on his website about going from VBA to JavaScript

Please note some of his articles are a bit dated and have been affected by Google's discontinuation policy eg.. scriptDB has been discontinued...

Bruce Mcpherson did have a nice forum running on G+ but again, Google G+ closed down and left him in the lurch. At the time I mentioned that I could talk to Jon about him moving his forum here, but he wasn't interested.... Shame really because I thought he could take advantage of the moderators expertise here to moderate the forum, prevent spamming and Jon would gain a nice future proofing section to the forum.

It was about this time I realised that Google was no different than Microsoft, or anyone else, and would just do what they liked. They didn't care about the individuals that created them... I mean, if you have a problem or a suggestion to posse to Google, you just try it, it's a brick wall! Absolutely disgusting.... Anyway I better get off my soapbox now!

Falcone203

Local time
Today, 14:33
I implemented the use of google forms with our Volunteer FD to input run information. That in turn is auto downloaded to Access and parsed, queried. No longer worried who did the run paperwork or if it was turned in, Now trying to upload it to ESO solutions for the National Fire Information tracking
So Google Sheets is for the ease for firefighters to enter calls
Access so I can track calls firefighter ran on (along with FD inventory)
ESO, for national tracking. This is my next step, to upload our info to their database. So far no authorization to them other than normal input line by line data entry.
1596287350852.png
1596288011440.png
1596288599309.png

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 12:33
That's cool Falcone203. The only significant work I've done with Google Sheets is for integration into AppSheet, which is a great mobile app building service. They aren't as "free" now as they were when I used them, but it's reasonable, and you can get quite a bit of mileage out of their free/almost-free categories of usage. They also integrate with SQL Server. No longer is a mobile developer required for relatively simple mobile apps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom