Why most of the Microsoft Books are Exams Based? (1 Viewer)

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Today, 16:22
I have a Microsoft 365 Business Standard License. What all are the tools and facilities present in it? Which is the right Book to start with it? To utilize it Completely. I don't wanna compete with any Exams. Hope you understand my Query...

With Hope,
Prabhakaran

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:52
Whether you compete for an exam or not, the exam-oriented style of the Microsoft course books are designed to orient you with the tools you will need to become a Microsoft Certified Professional Developer or Engineer or Administrator (or whatever names they are using these days). I came up through another vendor than Microsoft so I'm not an expert on all of their various possible titles. But the "study guides" offer the most coverage of the features you are most likely to use. Find the study guide that most closely matches what you intend to do, and read that. If MS gets a few dollars or rupees or whatever currency you use, they'll be happy even if you don't take the exam.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 03:52
I have a Microsoft 365 Business Standard License. What all are the tools and facilities present in it?
Which is the right Book to start with it?
To utilize it Completely. I don't wanna compete with any Exams. Hope you understand my Query...

With Hope,
Prabhakaran
There is no such thing as the "right book", or the "best book" for ANYTHING. There are good books for studying exam questions; there are good books for specific aspects of software development; there are even good books for "general" information. But none of them can be judged, "right" or "best". Let's focus, instead, on your needs and what books might prove useful.

These days, the internet has supplanted the need for the kind of books I once wrote or contributed to for Access. You can find the answers to almost any question about almost any aspect of Access development by typing a phrase into a search box. Right here at AWF, and at other forums where I participate, you'll find the most common questions asked and answered many, many times, usually by experts at the top of the field. No need to consult a book.

If you happen to prefer reading books over searching the internet, you can still find a number of them. As a matter of fact, though, I do prefer the books written from approximately 1995 through 2010 or so to be the most reliable and accessible. Look for them on your favorite book-seller website. Then come back and ask for comments on specific titles you think might be interesting. People will probably have an informed opinion.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:52
The thing about books (which I prefer by a mile) that makes them better than web searches is the Table of Contents. The problem many people have when trying to find a solution is they don't know the "correct" terminology that will get them to the solution they seek. With a book, drilling down through the TOC frequently leads you right to the section you need. THEN, if you still need more info, at least you are prepared with the names of what you want a more detailed explanation for.

With the rise of the internet and the demise of technical books, help has gotten worse and worse. I really wish the books that came in the box with Access 97 were available as PDFs. The syntax of Access has changed very little over the years. New features get added occasionally but rarely is syntax ever changed. But, even after all these years of working with Access, i occasionally run into syntax issues and it is virtually impossible to find syntax examples using Google. The "answers" are way too often seriously bad answers from forums that are not AWF.

The books you need to read are directly dependent on what you want to learn which you didn't mention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom