Will Joe Biden be the next president? (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 03:12
I sure looks like it's going to be a challenge for Biden to lose, let's put it that way.
And right whenever Trump looks like he is closing the gap and has a chance, he breaks out Twitter and ... says something.:(

• Haha
Reactions: Jon

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:12
I think Trump has a real chance of getting back in power. To be honest, I think the debates could be a bit of a horror show for the cognitively declining Biden. I've not seen him in long debates before, just clips of when he seems to be struggling, so I don't have an overview of how often those bad moments happen.

The US is all over the place at the moment. If there is news of an impending vaccine, it could shift peoples mood and perspective.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Very true. A vaccine before election day - or even some kind of milestone that can be spun as practically a guaranteed done deal, as well as a steadily climbing economy could shift things fast! Extra-large, second-round stimulus checks for Americans can't hurt! Except I just hate the idea of continuing to borrow money out of sheer desperation and lack of any way to address the root cause.

This is why even though I can understand the basis for Democrats constantly accusing Trump of having an overly "everything is perfect" attitude on COVID.......We all know the opposite is absolutely true, as well. The Democrats benefit from having COVID be (and seem), as long and terrible as possible. So I can appreciate both sides questioning the motives every time a piece of news comes out.

Reactions: Jon

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I saw some odds today and they think Trump has a 1/3rd chance of getting re-elected. And the latest poll has seen him significantly close the gap to Biden. Funny how these voting preferences move around a lot.
The only people responding to these polls are upset democrats, similar to 2016. Repubs and Independents have better things to do then answer asinine questions from far left pollsters.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:12
Pats probably not online at the moment as CT. is showing major power outages statewide.
Good guess. It is absolutely infuriating how the cities and states decide which "utility" companies will have a monopoly and never extract a service level agreement from the companies. The storm was pretty mild as far as storms go. My power went out at 2:30 on Tuesday afternoon. By 3:00, the sun was shining and by 4:00 the wind was down to a whisper. My power came back on around 6:30 PM today so it was out for 76 hours!!!!!! Sikorsky, which is a couple hundred yards north of my house never lost power. I have driven all over the north end of Stratford for three days trying to find out what could be so horrific that the power company couldn't fix it in a couple of hours and saw NO city trucks dealing with downed trees and no UI trucks (We're UI rather than Eversource but it didn't help us) fixing down power lines. I did run into a Gas company guy checking lines in our neighborhood.

So who gets to pay for the hundreds of dollars worth of food I had to toss at dawn this morning to make the garbage pickup? I guess I do.

Eversource is one of those companies like Disney and The Hartford Insurance Group to name just two more who violate the spirit of the h1b visa law if not the actual law itself. The law specifically prohibits replacing American workers with foreign workers and it specifically prohibits paying the foreign workers you do hire less than American workers doing the same work. Apparently, if you lay off your whole IT staff and replace them with busloads of cheap foreign labor and you instruct your laid off workers that they must train their replacement or get no severance, that isn't against the law. But nothing is ever enough. Eversource and UI are looking again for yet another rate increase and I'm pretty sure they decided to punish the customers for not giving it. I heard a couple of reports of Eversource trucks with only ONE occupant (COVID, ya know) parked several all together on the side of the road while they waited for the tree people to show up but as I said, I never saw any trucks of any kind on my journeys.

My Husband was a consultant at Sikorsky about 10 years ago when they did their outsourcing. For a while, his job seemed to be to fix all the bad code that came back from India from the night before. Sikorsky didn't bring the Indians to the US so technically they didn't violate the h1b visa law even though they replaced everyone who was not management with Indians for a fraction of what they were paying their American employees. But then they had to hire a bunch of people like my husband to cover over the mess the off-shore crew made of everything.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:12
Pat, speaking from the storm/hurricane experience of south Louisiana, SOMETIMES your homeowner's insurance pays for food spoiled by power loss if you can get documentation for same. We've used that maybe twice in the 25+ years that my dear wife Linda and I have been married.

From experience, I know it is frustrating. I remember when Hurricane Betsy had us without power for 11 days because a tree dislodged the line to the meter on the side of the house and pulled it loose. By law (and as a matter of safety) they couldn't reconnect us until we could get an electrician to reconnect the box to the house securely. When the techs came to do that, Mom almost kissed them because the A/C was out and she was warm-blooded. During Katrina, we lost power but everything on the first floor was just about gone anyway 'cause we had water two feet deep in the house. By the way, "electrical code" says wall outlets have to be two feet above the floor. Bet THAT was a fun short-circuit. But we had evacuated by then. My stepson came by about three weeks later and moved the fridge out to the street, food and all. He said it was a smell unlike anything he had ever smelled before. So it is probably good that you dumped the food, heartbreaking thought it might have been.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Up until about 5 years ago, the utilities were on top of the restoration process. We've had numerous blizzards and ice storms and major hurricanes at the rate of 2-3 per year and only once since I moved to Stratford (45 years ago) was our power out for more than a couple of hours and I think that was Hurricane Sandy. Although one time we were actually trapped in our house for three days due to monumental snow storm with 3-foot drifts against both the front and back doors. We had power. We just couldn't open either door. My husband finally lost his mind and got a metal frying pan out of the cabinet and went out the sliders in the family room and dug himself a path through 3 feet of snow to the garage (attached but not accessible from inside the house) to get a real shovel. After that, we took a shovel into the house when snow was predicted:) I've had 4 multi-day outages in the past 5 years. It's almost enough to make me buy a generator. If I could carry the propane tanks I would have gone out today to buy one. A full house system connected to the natural gas line would be at least $10,000 so that is probably out of the question but I sure did think about it. The bright side is I was able to shower since we have gas fired hot water so I was cranky but clean:)

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
enough to make me buy a generator.
Its a must have. Tractor Supply had a 4500w on sale @ $250. Extension cord from the shed to the pellet stove, cable modem and the tv. Runs 10 hrs on a tank of gas. A lot of my friends hard wire a portable to their panel but as long as I'm warm and entertained I'm happy.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
In our area, the good news is that our power utilities are experienced in restoring post-storm outages. The bad news is that they needed to be.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Recently, it appears that Joe Biden has said that the black community was not diverse, unlike the latino community. How has that gone down over there?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Recently, it appears that Joe Biden has said that the black community was not diverse, unlike the latino community. How has that gone down over there?

I only heard about it here at AWF, haven't heard a peep on the news about it here.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The Republicans are playing up that comment as proof that Biden is SO out of touch as to be useless. It is clearly a "stereotypical" class of comment - lumping all blacks together.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The lame stream media is trying to give Biden's latest gaff a positive spin. It never ceases to amaze me how much leeway Biden gets when he says something blatantly racist (and doubles down the next day!!!) and how little Trump gets when he says something stupid that if you insert/cut a few words might to some people sound racist. Joe's gaff gets a positive spin and The Donald's gets a negative spin. 100% of the time. They never even consider that a Trump gaff might be innocent. It is always assumed to be backed by malice and evil intent. That's how I know I am right to support him. If the media cannot even admit when Trump does something good, there is something wrong with them, not me. The left has made a huge mistake. They could have beat Trump without breathing hard if they had kept it clean. The public is getting wise to the lies spun by the "Democrats" and the media.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
I suspect, that by now most should know that Kamala Harris has been selected as Biden's vice-Presidential choice.

Based on her remarks concerning Kavanugh's nomination to the Supreme Court and listening to her on the Democratic primary debates, Harris is a vile bottom feeding lying opportunistic lowlife. She plays dirty gutter polices and she has no scruples. She will say whatever she has to say to win.

Last edited:

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Objectivity has a lot going for it as well. Unfortunately that seems to be lacking here
My statement is objective and is based on the comments she made at the Kavenaugh nomination hearings and during the Democratic presidential selection debates which I diligently watched. Did you invest any time into looking at looking into her character? Did you watch?

Tucker Carlson calls Biden-Harris the 'first entirely hollow presidential ticket in American history'
"Harris may be the single most transactional human being in America," he went on. "There are timeshare salesmen you would trust more than Kamala Harris. You could find payday lenders who are more sincere.

Kamala Harris Called Jussie Smollett’s Hate Crime Hoax A ‘Modern Day Lynching’
Kamala Harris, recently named as Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden’s pick for vice president, supported “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett when he staged a hoax assault against himself. ... The so-called racist and homophobic attack on Smollett, which received massive attention from the corporate media, turned out to be staged, organized by Smollet himself, who paid Nigerian brothers Abimbola and Olabinjo Osundairo to help him. ... Harris did not retract her statement nor comment further on the issue after new evidence surfaced."

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
@Steve R.
Your comments about Democrats and Republicans are always the same
No matter who had been chosen as Biden's VP nominee, you would have written something very similar.

I watched parts of the hearings and the Democratic debates - the entire sessions weren't available here in the UK.
Did you watch all the debates before the last UK general election?

Just to remind you, in my opinion the forthcoming US presidential election has two of the worst candidates ever.
Neither Trump nor Biden is up to the job. That also goes for Pence / Harris

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom