Your Music CV (1 Viewer)

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:30
The first record you ever bought and why ?

Nick Kershaw - The Riddle. Child of the 80's

The song that led to your first popstar crush and why ?

China in your hand - T'Pau......erm Carol Decker

The song that reminds you of your first true love and why ?

Never had a song

A song that's guaranteed to make you dance and why ?

Jump Around - House of Pain (especially after a few drinks) because it just does ;)

Your favourite holiday track and why ?

Roam - B52's, always makes me happy

The song you'd most like to sing on stage and why ?

Street Spirit - Radiohead, emotion OR maybe Nine While Nine - Sisters of Mercy cos I'd give it my all

The most embarrassing record you ever bought and why ?

I didn't buy it but I did have a free copy of Carma Cameleon - Culture Club (on transparent floppy vinal !) :eek:

The one song you wish you'd written and why?

Bron-Y-Aur Stomp - Led Zeppelin, cos it f'in rocks

The best guitar riff ever and why?

Kashmir - Led Zeppelin, innovative and unusual

Your favourite love song and why ?

Need Your Love So Bad - Fleetwood Mac (when they were the true Fleetwood Mac of course), a blues song about love.

The track that reminds you of your best mates and why?

Nine While Nine - Sister of Mercy, it just does (and no it's not an EMO thing)

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
post 1980, name same GREAT singers, with GREAT voices?????

Justin Timberlake? - I think NOT

Freddie Mercury

I'm not a big fan of Queen but he had one hell of a voice and was a huge showman, I doff my hat to him.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:30
I've never heard of Eric Burdon, I'm sure his voice is just fine.
In his heyday just fine is an understatement!:eek:

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:30
putting on my best 'grumpy old man' voice, "never heard of Eric Burden!!!!!, what do they teach kids these days?"

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Freddie Mercury

I'm not a big fan of Queen but he had one hell of a voice and was a huge showman, I doff my hat to him.
Now replaced by Paul Rodgers who of course still has a great voice:cool:

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
putting on my best 'grumpy old man' voice, "never heard of Eric Burden!!!!!, what do they teach kids these days?"

Times move on dude, sadly people will get forgotten. When it comes to vocals anyone can be made to sound good nowadays even live but before the technology was available even studio recording were done 'live'.

Case in point: If you listen the Led Zeppelin - In My Time Of Dying all the way to the end you can hear Robert Plant do a singing 'cough', Bonzo saying 'that has to be the one' (boy was it) and an aeroplane in the background. Those were the times.

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:30
but then I don't particularly like Plant either

Not so much for the ones the radio has flogged to death (if I hear Stairway To Heaven one more time I'll die)

Gallows Pole (Led Zep III), Minute By Minute, Heaven knows, from his solo stuff.

He has a banshee wail unmatched by anybody, and the musical skills so that every verse and every chorus aren't the same - a skill not to be found these days I fear

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Not so much for the ones the radio has flogged to death (if I hear Stairway To Heaven one more time I'll die)

Gallows Pole (Led Zep III), Minute By Minute, Heaven knows, from his solo stuff.

He has a banshee wail unmatched by anybody, and the musical skills so that every verse and every chorus aren't the same - a skill not to be found these days I fear

Ramble on and the Lemon Song.

Stairway was spoiled when Rolf Harris covered it :(

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
On of the best tracks they ever recorded and far better than stairway

I'll second that. I don't know how Stairway got so out of control, from the same album both Battle of Forevermore and the Levy are far superior.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time

Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow. It had a big rainbow on the front. "Man on the Silver Mountain" became the first rock song I loved.

Toni Basil - "Mickey"

John Martyn - "Over the hill".

Kings of Convenience - "I don't know what I can save you from (röyksopp remix)"

Probably the only track that makes me not care that I can't dance. It's what I imagine Snoopy dances to.

The Beatles - "Here comes the sun"

Andrea Bocelli - "Con te Partiro". If I could sing like that I'm sure I could pull any chick I wanted.

Can't think of one.

The Beatles - "Here, there and everywhere"
...or pretty much anything by John Martyn.

Led Zeppelin - "Black Dog"

Van Morrison - "Sweet Thing"

Anything from Quadrophenia by The Who will remind me of my best friend.
"Sea and Sand" mostly.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:30

So long ago that I'm no longer certain, but might well have been something by the late Earl Grant, a pops organist who used a Hammond B3 and a Leslie Cabinet (external speaker). Very early among folks to use that configuration of organ. Look up "Ebb Tide" which was one of his earlier hits.

"Physical" by Olivia Newton John

"Green-Eyed Lady" by Sugarloaf. (Yes, wifey IS a green-eyed lady.)

"In the Mood" any of several artists. As to why? Who knows why? I like swing.

Anything on the Music-Box Christmas album. (Sounds exactly like it is named.) It just SOUNDS like Christmas somehow.

I must admit that I don't sing. Never have been a singer. Couldn't carry a tune in a #5 washtub even with the help of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. But on stage, I would perform any one of several selections. For instance, "A Fifth of Beethoven." or perhaps "Maniac" from Flashdance. (I'm a keyboard man.)

Wynton Marsalis's "A Bluesy Christmas" - got it 'cause he's a big name star from N'Awlins and wifey likes all Christmas Music - or used to. Played it once, never played it again. Every note was sliding around like the musicians were on something potent but not guaranteed to be alcoholic. Sour notes, missed harmonies. Yeah, I know bluesy jazz is sometimes oddball, but this was musically an embarassment that this guy came from my home town. I've never heard such a mess before in my life. And, since I won't play it again, haven't heard anything like that since then.

"Fat" by Weird Al Yancovic. Sheer genius as a parody. (Though "Eat It" is up there right next to it.) For those who don't know this artist, he does parodies of pop songs. "Fat" = Michael Jackson's "Bad" and "Eat It" is Michael Jackson's "Beat It."

Not sure that I have a favorite. Guitar was never my instrument of choice. Maybe from "Journey to the Center of the Mind" by the Amboy Dukes. Early work by Ted Nugent.

"Suddenly" from the Xanadu sound track. Jeff Beck and ONJ. Just like the way it sounds.

"(Wedding Bells Are Breaking Up) That Old Gang of Mine." 'cause that's exactly what happened.

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
I'll second that. I don't know how Stairway got so out of control, from the same album both Battle of Forevermore and the Levy are far superior.

How it initially got out of control IMO was it was the first Led Zep song that appealed to the masses, it was essentially a rock ballad and lets face it they appeal to everyone :p

[retrospectively] The problem (if there is one) with Stairway is that it's THE Led Zep track most people have heard and is synonymous with Zep but it only one song in an brilliant catalogue. It's a great song but I think the problem is most people don't look beyond Stairway, same as you I can list many Led Zep songs I consider better. [/retrospectively]

Bill Bailey playing Stairway :D (all of it is good but the relevant bits are up to 0:45 and 1:45 till 2:10)

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time

"Fat" by Weird Al Yancovic. Sheer genius as a parody. (Though "Eat It" is up there right next to it.) For those who don't know this artist, he does parodies of pop songs. "Fat" = Michael Jackson's "Bad" and "Eat It" is Michael Jackson's "Beat It."

This is my favourite Weird Al song :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsFww8l8SCA&NR=1

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom