Your Music CV (1 Viewer)

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Today, 08:26
I've just been listening to Steve Right in the Afternoon, and his latest cop out to get the audience to do his job is to write your music CV.

I rather like the idea so I thought I'd share it with you, I've filled mine in:

The first record you ever bought and why ?

Jimmi Hendrix, All Along the Watchtower, for my brother for Christmas

The song that led to your first popstar crush and why ?

Black Sabbath’s Paranoid, I had never seen anyone as cool as Geezer Butler, their bass guitarist!

The song that reminds you of your first true love and why ?

Uriah Heap’s Lady in Black, we had our first date at a Uriah Heap concert and he said he loved me when we were listening to that song a few days later.

A song that's guaranteed to make you dance and why ?

Led Zeppelin’s Rock ‘n Roll. It should be sold with dancing shoes, who can resist?

Your favourite holiday track and why ?

Madonna’s Holiday. It makes you want to dance and lifts your mood all in one.

The song you'd most like to sing on stage and why ?

Melanie’s Candles in the Rain. If I could sing, I’d love to sing like Melanie and this, I think, is one of her best.

The most embarrassing record you ever bought and why ?

I got stuck here, I've never bought anything I was embarassed about...

The one song you wish you'd written and why?

Victims of Changes by Judas Priest, it is possibly my favourite song with an amazing arrangement between ballad and metal.

The best guitar riff ever and why?

A.V.H. by Ozzy Osbourne, . It’s a rare thing for a band leader to allow his band members the freedom and acknowledgement of their talent as Ozzy does.

Your favourite love song and why ?

Sand by Van Der Graaf Generator. The lyrics of this song just say it all.

The track that reminds you of your best mates and why?

Schools Out by Alice Cooper. This song was released the week we left school, for good!

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:26
Leaving myself open to ridicule here, based on previous posts of this type on the forum (I'm from a different era and never a big fan of rock), but it's all subjective, right? One man's favourire is another's most hated.
Here goes nothing.
Cars - Gary Numan. No deep explanation, I just couldn't get it out of my head.
Happy Birthday - Altered Images.
Gregory's Girl had just come out. That, combined with the group on Top of the Pops meant that Clare Grogan *sigh* made quite an impression.
The Best Things in Life are Free - Janet Jackson and Luther Vandross.
Not exactly a classic, but I still like it and it was the first song we danced to.
To many to list. Got to Get - Mantronix, Hanging on a String - Loose Ends, Somebody Else's Guy - Jocelyn Brown. Was into clubbing in a big way, in my younger days, and these were all guaranteed to get me up.
Not sure if it qualifies as a holiday track, but Voodoo Ray - A Guy Called Gerald was huge in Ibiza in 1988 and I have some very fond memories of events that happened with that as the background music.;)
If I were forced into it - under the influence of alcohol, perhaps - It's Not Unusual - Tom Jones. Can't imagine wanting to sing on stage if sober.:eek:
Part Time Lover - Stevie Wonder. The guy at WH Smith gave it to me by mistake when I asked for something else. I didn't look in the bag until I was at the bus stop and he refused to exchange or refund it when I went back to the shop. :mad: Still in the attic at my parents' house, probably.
Mull of Kintyre - Paul McCartney. Purely for fiscal reasons.
Sorry, not my sort of thing.
Sexual Healing - Marvin Gaye or Avalon - Roxy Music. Just something about the combination of voices and music that I find very soothing.
The ones listed under guaranteed to get me dancing. We spent a lot of time in clubs and everyone in the group had a favourite. Also Now That We Found Love - Heavy D and the Boyz and Naked in the Rain - Blue Pearl. I hated the latter with a passion and my best friend hated the former, so we'd leave the dancefloor in disgust if they came on.:D

BeerSnob

Former Redneck
Local time
I don't remember enough to be able to answer most of the questions,
but this caught my eye....

Victims of Changes by Judas Priest, it is possibly my favourite song with an amazing arrangement between ballad and metal.

I, too, think that is one of the greatest songs evaaarrrr:D

Halford's vocal range really shined on that one. Sends chills down my
spine every time I listen to it.

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Today, 00:26
1st record =--And the Beat goes on -- by the whispers -- why cos it a cracking good song

Pop song crush - Holiday - Madge ..

first love - mavin gaye - Sexual Healing - or Jamica Girl by marvin Gaye

skipping a few

Baker Street ... would be the one i wish i had written - and if i could sing same

Best guitar riff - too many -

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:26

Decca's World Of Blues Power (Vol2) - As well as the usual British Blues Boom (Savoy Brown, original Fleetwood Mac etc) it had gems by Champion Jack Dupree, Robert Nighthawk & Shakey Horton. As I was 12 at the time, this should get me some cred!

????? Don't know I ever got one

Pretty well anything off Deja VU (CSN&Y)

Don't know about dance, but So What (Miles Davis) never fails to get the toes tapping

I can remember driving out of Sydney to Led Zep's Archilles Last Stand, definitely good driving music

Anything to be able to sing with as much power as Muddy Waters

I got stuck here, I've never bought anything I was embarassed about.., but a few that were not as good as I thought they would be

The Girl From Ipanema (Jobim) Simple (yet complex) and oh so elegant

John McLaughlin - The Unknown Dissadent

???????

Emerson Lake & Palmer Abbadon's Bolero

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Leaving myself open to ridicule here, based on previous posts of this type on the forum (I'm from a different era and never a big fan of rock), but it's all subjective, right? One man's favourire is another's most hated.

Why should anyone ridicule your taste?

Cars was a brilliant track, my favourite Gary Newman was The Park, still searching for a copy on CD, our turntable packed up. I'm guessing we'll need to buy a USB one at some stage, cheaper than replacing some 400 albums...

Rich

Registered User.
Local time

Decca's World Of Blues Power (Vol2) - As well as the usual British Blues Boom (Savoy Brown, original Fleetwood Mac etc) it had gems by Champion Jack Dupree, Robert Nighthawk & Shakey Horton. As I was 12 at the time, this should get me some cred!

I'm sure I bought Vol1, very early Clapton,Page etc

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time

Louise Cordet was the singer, no idea what she was singing. Just watching !!!!

L

Not sure of spelling either.

Last edited:

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Why should anyone ridicule your taste?
There was another post, some time back, where it was suggested that anything made after 1970 wasn't worth listening to and so many people seemed to agree, that I felt wary of admitting to having thoroughly enjoyed a lot of '80s.

Whenever music is mentioned around here it usually comes down to older rock, so I was just bracing myself for 'It's not like it was in my day'-type comments :D

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
There was another post, some time back, where it was suggested that anything made after 1970 wasn't worth listening to and so many people seemed to agree, that I felt wary of admitting to having thoroughly enjoyed a lot of '80s.

:D

Google Louise Cordet and you will find that the 80's were "modern" by comparison.

My taste in music has got worse according to some people..... but I cannot help it if they are wrong.

Len

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
First record bought "Rock around the clock" Bill Haley and the Comets.

GaryPanic

Local time

Whenever music is mentioned around here it usually comes down to older rock, so I was just bracing myself for 'It's not like it was in my day'-type comments :D

if you are watching Ashes to Ashes there are some cork 80's tracks goingon - the 80's was pretty good in some respect - mind you a lot of cheese as well

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
:D

At the risk of setting off another "Now in my day debate", but I will anyway!

The "What song would you most want to sing on stage" question got me thinking as to which singers appealled to me?

The answer is those that had already formed a band, struggled around the traps & one day got a recording contract and had a microphone stuck in front of them (with NO computer enhancements) and delivered

eg Robert Plant, Eric Burdon, Joe Cocker, Roger Daltry etc, etc

post 1980, name same GREAT singers, with GREAT voices?????

Justin Timberlake? - I think NOT

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time

All fantastic, but each generation produces its own greats - Brandon Flowers of The Killers has an amazing voice as does Robbie Williams. There are many great singers around today, although, for my taste, I have to say few can hold a torch to those you mentioned, and more from the 70s / 80s.

if you are watching Ashes to Ashes there are some cork 80's tracks goingon - the 80's was pretty good in some respect - mind you a lot of cheese as well

We had our fair share of cheese in the 70s. How about Sweet; The Bay City Rollers; Wee Jimmy Osmond; Lena Zavaroni… :eek:

GaryPanic

Local time
All fantastic, but each generation produces its own greats - Brandon Flowers of The Killers has an amazing voice as does Robbie Williams. There are many great singers around today, although, for my taste, I have to say few can hold a torch to those you mentioned, and more from the 70s / 80s.

We had our fair share of cheese in the 70s. How about Sweet; The Bay City Rollers; Wee Jimmy Osmond; Lena Zavaroni… :eek:

Hang your head in Shame

you missed a few Mud..

80's vocals
Rick Ashley - cheesey songs - but decent voice
Queen (although they may of been 70's)
Macia Parish - soft mellow voice
ABC
Brian Ferry (again maybe 70's)
Duran Duran #
Heaven 17
B.A.D
UB40
Madness
the Specials (just reformed)
Fun Boy 3
Tracy chapman

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
At the risk of setting off another "Now in my day debate", but I will anyway!

The "What song would you most want to sing on stage" question got me thinking as to which singers appealled to me?

The answer is those that had already formed a band, struggled around the traps & one day got a recording contract and had a microphone stuck in front of them (with NO computer enhancements) and delivered

Don't rate Timberlake, but then I don't particularly like Plant either, and although I've never heard of Eric Burdon, I'm sure his voice is just fine.

I clearly misread the question as 'The song you'd most like to sing on stage and why?', when it was clearly 'Who do you think has a nice voice?' Besides which, my answer for that one wasn't from the '80s onwards, so I don't see the problem?

BeerSnob

Former Redneck
Local time

There were a few...

Martin Frye - ABC
Sade
Morrisey
Michael Hucknall - Simply Red
Brendan Perry - Dead Can Dance (a little more obscure)

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Definitely agree with Mick Hucknell. I was more aiming my gripe at 90's 2000's where nearly every male singer I hear is either wimpy or a 'rapper' with a vocal range of 2 notes!

There doesn't seem to be any big voices about

GaryPanic

Local time
even then - look hard and you will find some great voices

Seal - fab voice

but i do agree with you the vocal talent seems to have taken a back seatin the 90-00'
however now there are some great voices appearing..

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time

Duane Eddy, My Blue Heaven / Drivin' Home

The Carnival is Over - Judith Durham (of The Seekers) has a voice of an angel

A Picture of You by Joe Brown - I had the hots in school for a girl and wished I had a picture of her

Reach Out I'll be There by The Four Tops

Not sure on thisThe song you'd most like to sing on stage and why ?

McCartney's 'My Love'

Star Trekkin' - Can't recall who did it now.

Happy Birthday to You - Imagine the royalties!

Not guitar riff as such but instrumental - Apache by The Shadows, the first record to inspire us all into making music in 1960

Three Times a Lady by The Commodores

Don't have a song for this

Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom