Will you upgrade to Windows 10? (1 Viewer)

Will you upgrade to Windows 10

• Total voters

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:39
It looks cool.

So you made me question myself, and according to this site, 10 performs better than 7. Thats a pretty good reason.

Last edited:

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
All the people that have worked with 10 beta like it better than 8.1. I have a dell with 8.1 and a HP with 8.1 all lest than a year old and 8.1 is giving me lots of trouble. I am going 10 on both of them. I have a Toshiba with 7 and if I like 10 I will switch that to 10. I have an Asus with 7 that I lost the pass word, in fact I don't even remember putting a pass word so I have no choice. It will wipe everything out but I am giving that computer away anyways.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:39
I would add Vista to the list of "never to be mentioned" versions. ;)

Some say it is a matter of "every second version".

95 - bad
98 - better
ME - bad
XP - good
Vista - bad
7 -good
8 - bad
9 - N/A
10 - ?

Where does the non-existent 9 fit in to the pattern?

BTW. It is said that 9 was skipped because many software developers checked the OS version for starting with "9" to detect Windows 9x versions.

Or did they just want Microsoft OSX. ;)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Some say it is a matter of "every second version".

95 - bad
98 - better
ME - bad
XP - good
Vista - bad
7 -good
8 - bad
9 - N/A
10 - ?

Where does the non-existent 9 fit in to the pattern?

BTW. It is said that 9 was skipped because many software developers checked the OS version for starting with "9" to detect Windows 9x versions.

Or did they just want Microsoft OSX. ;)

I was thinking the same thing. I wouldn't want to accuse Bib Bill of anything but would it not be a big money boost to throw something out there, (Win X) and the computer manufactures put it on there computers and everybody is dis-satisfied so they run to the next version. However the fact that they are giving 10 away kind of dispelled that theory.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:39
If you don't upgrade Microsoft will simply stop supporting your current version. I know there are people still running older versions like XP, but to do so without support (patches) and virus support is not worth it.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
If you don't upgrade Microsoft will simply stop supporting your current version. I know there are people still running older versions like XP, but to do so without support (patches) and virus support is not worth it.
Amen to that! I hate that I have to summit to Big Bills wishes but not doing so is not worth the price.

In fact on that note, can somebody tell me, that truly loves (linux) how long it took you to install and learn it? When I get frustrated with windows that thought always enters my mind. Does Linux run Access as easily as windows? Will Linux work on all desk and lap tops? Any other information appreciated.

Last edited:

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 11:39
Read more than once that Windows 7 upgrades to 10 had network issues afterwards. I will put off my Windows 7 update to my least used portable in a few weeks before updating my primary workstation.

Next version is Microsoft BOB, it is like the old Microsoft BOB OS version (that everyone seems to have left off of the MS Version List) except the new version is spelled backwards so we can tell the difference.

The corrlation method of every other MS OS version being good / bad is not valid.
Here is an exampl real graph to demonstrate the point:

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
In fact on that note, can somebody tell me, that truly loves (linux) how long it took you to install...?
Linux comes in many "flavors" (distributions). The one that I am using is Ubuntu version 14.04. Installation went very well, probably less than a half hour.

Linux can be installed with a dual boot option. This will allow you to have booth operating systems running. After a while you can delete the one that you don't like. Nevertheless, I still have Windows 7 available for the times that I need it.

In fact on that note, can somebody tell me, that truly loves (linux) how long it took you to ... learn it?
A complicated question. Like MS Windows, you have the operating system (Linux) and application software like "LibreOffice".

Operating System: You really don't have to learn much, like MS Windows it is graphically based now. Unlike MS Windows, however, you can (if you want) interact with the operating system. It will be a learning experience.

Application Software: If you know MS Office, you know LibreOffice. (MS Access unfortunately is not available.)

When I get frustrated with windows that thought always enters my mind.
I would recommend Linux as the replacement to MS Windows. Of course, one has to be mindful that some MS Windows applications would not be available under Linux.

Does Linux run Access as easily as windows?
NO, a suitable substitute to Access is not available. :mad:

The Access equivalent in Linux is "Base". The learning curve to Base is very steep. However, there is one person who has been adapting Base to operate like MS Access. What is Access2Base?

To get around the lack of Access in Linux, I moved the data to MySQL and I am accessing the database through my browser (Firefox). I have developed a rudimentary interface with PHP/HTML/CSS. Still a lot of work to do. But one side-effect, this approach is faster than MS Access.

Will Linux work on all desk and lap tops?
The answer is yes, but with qualifications. Their are hiccups, just like with MS Windows. The hiccups can be either machine dependent and/or Linux distribution dependent.

I have experienced issues and have successfully resolved them. Sometimes it takes a bit of research. Many issues have also been resolved through upgrades. As a conclusionary observation, I would say "yes" to Linux having the capability to operate on all computers.

Last edited:

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
I am very happy with 8.1, prefer it Windows 7 and because of networking ease.

In fact I just bought two more Toshibas while 8.1 is still there. I also advised a mate (not a computer person as such) to bring forward his purchases which he was looking at doing around October.

I have the Office 365 which is $12Australian a month. I still prefer the general outlay of A95 to A2003.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
I have the Office 365 which is $12Australian a month. I still prefer the general outlay of A95 to A2003.
You can save that $12(AUS) a month with LibreOffice since it is free. Put some extra shrimp on the barbie. There is a version that will work with MS Windows.

Whether it is suitable for you will depend on your expectations. (LibreOffice does not have a suitable substitute for MS Access.)

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
You can save that $12(AUS) a month with LibreOffice since it is free. Put some extra shrimp on the barbie. There is a version that will work with MS Windows.

Whether it is suitable for you will depend on your expectations. (LibreOffice does not have a suitable substitute for MS Access.)

I am stuck with Access:)

It is now for the last 20 years

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Win 10 now on 4 lap tops. So far better than 8, but then what can 3 days tell.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
What about 8.1
Thanks for catching that. I should have said 8.1. I never did have 8.
Yes much better than 8.1 so far. I am reserving true opinion until it runs a while. 8.1 seemed good for the first three days.
In fact I have one computer (Asus) I can't do much with as a lost password resulted in having to wipe everything out, so not much software on it, and I can't find my 365 card to install Access.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:39
FYI: I heard that there was a security risk with Windows 10. Apparently Windows 10 will broadcast wireless password unless you turn an option off (I did not read the article completely). Anyhow my computer at home is not quite robust enough to run Windows 10 (video card limitation).

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Here is something that happened last night. I am not sure if it is a bug in win 10 or if I did some dumb thing, but it has never happen on any other computer or on any other OS. All of a sudden my desk top rotated 45 degrees. The touch pad moved in opposite directions. I with great labor got on the net and found a cure. Ctrl, Atl and up arrow. Has anybody else ever experience that?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:39
ctrl-Alt and the arrow keys has been a feature of windows for some time. Certainly back to XP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom