Will you upgrade to Windows 10? (1 Viewer)

Will you upgrade to Windows 10

• Total voters

burrina

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:43
Will you be upgrading to Windows 10 and if so, why/why not?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:43
I won't "upgrade" to it, but I may get it on new computers (in other words, I won't switch an existing computer with Win 7 to 10). I buy computers for my employer, and I skipped 8/8.1. I've heard good things about 10, so I'll probably either put a copy on a VM to play with first, or let some poor soul in the office be the guinea pig.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Still running on Windows 7 on my main computer. I still have XP on a older laptop (not enough horsepower for Windows 7). Always hesitant to go to a newer OS until it has been proven to be stable.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 01:43
There is an alternative to MS Windows, Linux.

I've been using Ubuntu for several years now and I find to be better than MS Windows. One of the positives of Linux is that it is free. Another, is that Linux is more user friendly (at least for me).

On the downside, some software is "missing" from Linux, MS Access being one such piece of software. There is OpenOffice (LibreOffice) Base which is an equivalent to Access. Like MS Access, the learning curve for Base is very steep. To lesson the shock of using Base, one person has enhanced Base to work more like MS Access.

I terms of myself, since MS Access is not an option, I converted my MS Access magazine database to an HTML/PHP/CSSS format with MySQL. It works! Still needs a bunch of work to make it more user friendly.

Given that most people (in an office environment) principally use a word processor and a spreadsheet, Linux offers a superior and cheaper (free) work environment. There would appear to be little incentive to upgrade to MS Windows 10.

Last edited:

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Yesterday, 23:43
1. stable Windows 7 Enterprise on an i5 processor with a SSD C: drive.
NO WAY

2. expensive HP Envy 17 3D Portable with i7 (1st gen) and 16 GB of RAM - nothing but trouble hardware - but finally somewhat stable on Windows 7.
Maybe - since I can only trust it for Power Point due to HP releasing a shoddy hardware they won't service.

3 HP Envy I7 (3rd Generation) Desktop with 16 GB of RAM running Windows 8.1. Huge issues including horrable Firmware matching. It is just finally getting stable.
Maybe - will upgrade Like Microsoft ME - Windows 8's name will never be mentioned by Microsoft again.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Maybe - will upgrade Like Microsoft ME - Windows 8's name will never be mentioned by Microsoft again.

I would add Vista to the list of "never to be mentioned" versions. ;)

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Was wanting more members to let me know if Windows 10 was working for them or not. Don't mind letting others try it first.

A new version of Windows (reminds me of a Mark Twaing quote) is like negotiations with a growling dog in the pathway.
You keep saying "good dog, good dog" while searching for a club or rock.

Last edited:

burrina

Registered User.
Local time
Steve R I have been a long time user of Linux. My distro of choice is Mint/Rafaela
Combine it with Crossover and your set.
Windows 10 will be the New XP.
Downside is privacy.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:43
I've been using 8.1 for 12-18 months on an i7 Laptop with 8Gb memory with no issues at all.

We have a Win 10 development VM we have been playing with on and off for some time and it seems pretty stable to be honest.

I'm pretty certain I'll upgrade at home from 7 Ultimate quite quickly as I like the inbuilt upgrade protection.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I've being using win 8.1 for around a year now with no issues at all. Also use it in VM without office (and another VM with office but without access) so I can check proper running of accdr, again, have not had any issues.

re win10, I plan to try it in VM first for testing accdr's - as a developer I anticipate smaller clients moving first when it comes preinstalled on new purchases (so they'll probably have a mix of OS's) but don't plan to upgrade my development environment just yet.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'm retired, but have used Access for many years.
Still running XP on a desktop; Vista Home on a Dell laptop (since early 2008), and
8.1 on Lenovo I7 8Gb. No major issues on any, but these are not production/demanding customer installations.

Out of curiosity, what are you using for your VM activity.

I tried VirtualBox (before Oracle acquisition) on the Dell to install Ubuntu, but it was more of a pass time than serious.

Last edited:

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'm pretty happy with VMware Workstation, but it's the only one I've used to any extent. I have a number of different Windows/Office configurations, and most of my Access work is done on a VM rather than on my actual PC. I tried VirtualBox at one point but had issues and abandoned it. My boss uses VMware Fusion on his Mac, and it seems to work well. I have an older version of Workstation, so I'd actually have to upgrade before I could run Win 10.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'm using virtualbox (post Oracle acquisition) - upgraded to v4.3 about a month ago.

It installed without a problem, but drag and drop doesn't work (only works if VM is Linux for some reason) and copy/paste should work but doesn't. I'm only using it for testing so have set up a shared folder and just copy from there.

It was the first one I tried to meet an urgent requirement (in Jan this year) and haven't looked at alternatives so no idea if it is the best or not - it works for me.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
When my XP boxes reach the point that they are totally unable to run the upgrades for things like Adobe Flash and Java SE, maybe I'll step to Win10. I have heard it will run reasonably on an older box if it is fast enough and has max memory for its model. I've got a 2.8 GHz x 32-bit HP box with 4 Gb RAM (minus that high-memory component that is part of the I/O and BootROM space.)

The comment about Flash and Java has to do with web sites that increasingly become insistent on upgrading the browser plug-ins in order to work. When I can no longer do my banking online, it will be time to bite that bullet. Not until then.

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
The company I am working for has issued an executive order not to upgrade any workstation or laptop that is to be used in the Corporate environment due to "incompatibilities to be named later". As for my personal devices, I choose to wait and see what experiences others are having first

-- Rookie.

wiklendt

i recommend chocolate
Local time
Today, 15:43
I have an older laptop (Sony sve14a... Something, about 3yo) which I've sent for repair (the hinge was cracking apart) solely for the purpose of trying Win10. Currently that laptop is running win8 so will have to first do the 3gb 8.1 upgrade before I can do the 3gb win10 upgrde. Not great considering my bandwidth limit is 12gb/mo.
If that works well, I MIGHT upgrde my primary machine from 8.1.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Just changed my feeble mind. Going for it like a skateboarder on the stair handrail of the Buckingham Palace.

Have been conversing with several first adapters on the Computer World comments section. Did I mention I really hate Windows 8.1? Did I mention it more than a dozen times? Lately?

1. Desktop with Win 8.1 From the response, I think that on the weekend of August 1, I will do this and take the precautions for external disk backup and the Undo. The PC came with Windows 8.0 installed (HP Envy). A little worried since in the past, full installs work better than an Upgrade.

2. The kid called from NYC, NY. He got a 2 month gig on a ship and expects to come home the beginning of September. His 3 year old HP 17" Portable is going though blue screen Disk Scan on every startup. It survived 300 days at sea and his academy homework. It runs Windows 7. I can replace the Hard Drive with a SSD Kingston for about $100 USD. Fresh hard drive, might as well go for Windows 10.

3. Two early adopters that had Windows 7 were seasoned people. They were never able to get the network working. MS offered no real help. MS also forgets to mention setting ROM BIOS to some USB boot settings BEFORE installing Windows 10, or it can't undo.
A. The Windows 7 Ultimate with dual SSD and 2x 30" advanced graphics desktop will not be touched.
B. My HP Envy 3D Portable with dual SCADA drives, 1080 monitor (120 hz) and i7 first generation will be upgraded. This portable runs so high at our altitude (5,280 feet) it melts the varnish on a wood table, burns legs through a pair of jeans. HP never fixed it. The extra large battery only last 11 minutes. I am going to replace the Dual SCADA with a single SSD and see if that changes anything. As of now, it is only used a couple times a year for Power Point.

I will be back in August to with an update.

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
I will go from 7 to 10, maybe not right away, but I'm ready for a fresh install anyway. My laptop has been a little sluggish lately. I'm a huge 7 fan, and if I don't like 10, I have the install disk for 7 still. I dual booted 7 and Linux for a while, but I didn't like Linux.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
I dual booted 7 and Linux for a while, but I didn't like Linux.
Unfortunate. MS Windows does have some advantages, such as MS Access. I think the current state of Linux is equal to MS Windows and Linux allows the owner to have greater flexibility with their computer. What advantages would you get, moving to MS Windows 10?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom