Has America Imploded? (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 03:40
Except you're not forced to use them. Nobody is.

I would hate to be forced to allow someone to use my app that I didn't want there. I think that starts just as dangerous of a precedent. So where do we find a balance? He can't say he didn't receive any warning.
I was glad to see that at least you do seem to see a need for a balance. Something that doesn't go all the way in any direction--including letting the tech giants decide whatever they want in any way they want.
Because let's face it--Sure it's "their company", and "their app", but we're moving closer and closer to having just a handful of companies, like 3 of them Google, Facebook & Twitter, control all of our civilization's communication. Obviously the power has to stop somewhere. Gmail, Searches for Information, Facebook messages/posts, and Tweets--Hopefully almost everyone in the USA can agree, we can't have 3 men deciding what communications will and won't be allowed in our whole lives. I mean that really should NOT be controversial.

I'll say what I've always said. Maybe it's not fair legally speaking to punish them for their conservative censorship, after all, it's their company. Just destroy them through antitrust litigation. I'm not really sure what else to do.

One other option. Begin treating them as a public utility and regulating them as such - with fair warning, maybe 6 months' worth. If 90% of the world's communication is controlled by a small handful of powerful men, then this option is totally fair and legitimate.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:40
One other option. Begin treating them as a public utility and regulating them as such - with fair warning, maybe 6 months' worth. If 90% of the world's communication is controlled by a small handful of powerful men, then this option is totally fair and legitimate.
You mean like net neutrality which was repealed in 2018?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
No, I bought American and use aftermarket all the time. Same with my previous japanese motorcycles.
I guess you missed my point. When you buy "Apple", you are not buying American since nothing they make is built in America and you are not allowed to buy "aftermarket" anything. In fact, you have to buy anything extra that you want from one and only one source. This is why i never, ever bought anything Apple. Because of this policy, Apple had almost withered away as a company until they had the good fortune to invent the iPhone. That was a winner and they used it to suck people into their sphere of other products continuing on their NO COMPATIBILITY policy. The only deviation I have ever seen is that they actually allow a Windows emulator to be installed on Mac machines.
Alexa wasn't used to incite violence.
I guess you never saw the video Alexa being used to terrorize a little girl in her own bedroom. If you are referring to Trump's speech, I suggest that you sit down and listen to every word. It will be painful. It is boring but it does not incite violence. It is the talking heads telling you that there was incitement to violence in the speech. That is their opinion. They are entitled to their own opinion but they are presenting their opinion as fact and you believe it. If you want to see actual instances of inciting violence, you might want to listen to a few members of Congress as they tell their constituents to attack members of the cabinet or Republican party. Oh, you probably won't be able to actually find the video any more because Google and YouTube are conspiring (think Sherman anti-Trust act) to hide certain facts from you. But they can't take them all down.

waters.JPG

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
I guess you missed my point. When you buy "Apple", you are not buying American since nothing they make is built in America and you are not allowed to buy "aftermarket" anything. In fact, you have to buy anything extra that you want from one and only one source. This is why i never, ever bought anything Apple.
Pretty much anything you buy these days are not soley made in America. We live in a global economy. Back in the day GM or Ford were able to economically manufacture all the parts that went into their cars. That doesnt exist anymore.

I've had plenty of apple products and I was able to buy whatever accessories I wanted that were 3rd party. Like Vassago I went android just because I could do more with it at a cheaper price.

Oh, you probably won't be able to actually find the video any more because Google and YouTube are conspiring (think Sherman anti-Trust act) to hide certain facts from you. But they can't take them all down.
The page you linked to has the video of Waters stupid remark and its hosted on youtube and embedded on that page so I not quite sure what your point is.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
@Pat Hartman I explained what I was referring to. I won't again. It wasn't Trump or Twitter.

So, more regulating private business? Isn't that against Republican values? It's against mine.

And how are they the only ones? New social apps pop up daily. You also don't need them. I don't use much more than this forum and get by just fine. If we were forced to use them, it would be a different matter, but if we are not forced, I see no need to involve more regulation.

I only use Google for business email. My personal email is secure, anonymous, and encrypted. Plenty of places for those things of things too.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
An orgy of hate by Democrats. Biden has claimed that he is for unifying/healing this nation. Yet, in the face of Pelosi's crazed attempt to lynch Trump and castrate the Executive Branch, Biden says nothing. Where is his boastful demonstration of leadership? As those on the left like to proclaim "silence is complicity". In fact, Harris went beyond silence and actively supported those inciting "revolution", an action that Democrats now sanctimoniously condemn. Biden, through his silence and lack of leadership, has effectively endorsed and legitimized this unlawful orgy of hate by Democrats.

If the Democrats had any ethical standards and sought to actually unify the country, Biden should have demonstrated leadership by demanding that Pelosi cease and desist with this divisive orgy of hate. Biden has failed this leadership challenge. By encouraging hate, Democrats have alienated the approximate 74 Million people who voted for Trump. Democrats may have "won", but in doing so they have sowed the seeds of destruction. They have shown themselves to totalitarian autocrats and liars. Additionally, Democrats have shown that that they will impair the very democratic institutions they disingenuously (with great ethical pontificatation) claim to protect and stand-for, such as the rule of law, and rationale governance. The ends justify the means.

Last edited:

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
After Trump has been the most divisive President in recent history? I don't think so.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
After Trump has been the most divisive President in recent history? I don't think so.
I don't think so. Trump is a flamboyant showman, but he did not promote divisiveness. Listen to Democratic rhetoric. Pelosi is pushing hate and Biden is being silent, essentially endorsing hateful divisive rhetoric. (Biden has indicated that his admistration will use race based critera when making policy decisions. That is racist and divisive.) Trump is calling for peace.

Democrats started to call for Trump's impeachment even before he took office. So the (false) theme that Trump was the most divisive President was already pre-cooked and pre-formulated by the Democrats for deployment when he took office. One Congressmen (Green), even said that Trump should be impeached not for doing anything wrong but to prevent the voters (as if they should not be allowed to vote for Trump) from being able to vote for him ("round 1" of the impeachment circus). Democrats to spread unjustified fear find White supremacists everywhere. Democrats say that Conservative speech is traitorous and inflammatory. Democrats have not been speaking against the suppression of free-speech by social media and big tech, in fact they embrace it. Democrats, to my knowledge, have not come to the defense of Parler being taken down. Nothing to see, move along.

An example of the Democrats seeking healing and unification. (sarcasm)

Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
If Republicans ever want to be on the world stage again they have purge their ranks of the crazies that migrate to them. QAnon, white supremist and people like Sidney Powell, Rudy Giuliani, Lin Wood are all boat anchors for Republican Party and need to be purged. They have produced nothing but confusion. Where is the Kraken? Where is the laptop?

The Republicans need to embrace a more modern Reaganesque tone. This doesn't mean I will stop irritating the left God knows they have plenty of issues to pick at. I am just concerned with the direction this is heading.

Last edited:

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
If Republicans ever want to be on the world stage again they have purge their ranks of the crazies that migrate to them.
They didn't migrate, they were recruited. Good luck getting rid of them.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time

AOC says commission being 'discussed' to help ‘rein in’ media environment after Capitol riot

"Fox & Friends" anchor Steve Doocy said he was "a little troubled" by Ocasio-Cortez’s suggestion and enlisted The Hill media columnist Joe Concha to help figure out who would decide what media gets reined in under the progressive lawmaker’s plan.

"Let’s unpack this proposal, she wants to basically establish a Ministry of Truth, we’ve all read ‘1984’ and, you know, to determine what is truth and what is not. So who sits on this committee exactly? Eric Swalwell? Adam Schiff? Because they seem to have some challenges when it comes to telling the truth," Concha said. (emphasis added)

Democrats do not appear to be proposing true reconciliation with those who are conservative. Ms Cortez through the aritcle above and prior comments is testing the political climate to propose that once in power, that Democrats further contol and muzzel conservative speech. That a government agency actually be formulated to act as a real "Ministry of Truth".

All of Biden's talk of healing, unification and finding the soul of America is hogwash. The Democrats are the threat to democracy.

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:40
I saw a black senator (Cori Bush) call Trump a white supremacist about 10 times in 60 seconds during the impeachment debate.

“If we fail to remove a white supremacist president who incited a white supremacist insurrection...

Isn't that hate speech?

Here is the definition:

Hate speech is defined by the Cambridge Dictionary as "public speech that expresses hate or encourages violence towards a person or group based on something such as race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation". Source: Wikipedia

She expresses hate towards Trump and his supporters based on their skin colour.

Besides that, why does she call him a white supremacist? Based on what? Don't tell me it is about something from 45 years ago regarding Trump owned accommodation during a period of a different social climate. I can certainly point to Biden and Hilary too, and for much more recent stuff. Genuinely though, why why why?

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
@Jon: you may need to recheck your source -->"Source: Wikipedia". Seems that some "sources" have quietly and quickly revised a definition to mollify the progressive agenda. Bush has not expressed hate speech, but has merely regurgitated a documented fact. (sarcasm)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I think that what divided us was the emotional, race-identity-political way that liberals reacted to everything he said.
Remember - it takes two to tango, it takes 2 events (at least) to influence the mood of the American people:
1) What the first person says
2) What other leaders say about what the first person says.

I.E.:
Influential Person1: "Something"
Influential Person2: "I can't believe you said that! OMG! That is so horrible and racist"
Result: Division and offense taken on many sides.

What caused it? It depends on your perspective.

Reactions: Jon

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
How about Zello?

As she narrated her march toward and into the Capitol, others in the Zello channel cheered on the insurrection and called for the kidnapping of politicians.

“You are executing citizen’s arrest,” said “1% Watchdog”, the creator of the channel, evoking the viral image of a man carrying zip ties in the Senate chamber. “We have probable cause: treason, acts of treason, election fraud, all kinds of felony crimes, no competent authority,” he said, referencing claims of voter fraud that have been promoted by Donald Trump and other Republican lawmakers but repeatedly debunked by journalists and the courts.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
We need to stick to prosecuting crimes. Not trying to tie a chain of causality backwards as far and creatively as we can go. That's a never ending slope.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:40
@Jon: you may need to recheck your source -->"Source: Wikipedia". Seems that some "sources" have quietly and quickly revised a definition to mollify the progressive agenda. Bush has not expressed hate speech, but has merely regurgitated a documented fact. (sarcasm)
The real source is Cambridge Dictionary. Wikipedia just quoted their definition, as stated in their text.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
We need to stick to prosecuting crimes. Not trying to tie a chain of causality backwards as far and creatively as we can go. That's a never ending slope.
Thats the way criminal investigations work. Unless it's tom cruise in minority report.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
When we ban people, we tell them why and we point to posts. But if we ban someone, does every other technical forum jump on the bandwagon and ban them too? Are the banned people squashed to oblivion? Can Adam post anywhere?

Can your phone company ban you because they don't "approve" of your politics? How about if you call people they don't approve of? Do you have any recourse? Of course you do, there are multiple phone companies. They don't have a monopoly or do they? What if they ALL decided "independently" to ban you? You may be perfectly OK with this because you hate Trump and by association you hate his supporters but they WILL come for you and don't you ever forget it. If you're a white male who isn't a homosexual or have any other "intersectional" characteristics that might spare you, don't expect any COVID relief funds for your small business. Joe has already told us who will get the money.

Swipe just banned the Trump campaign from processing credit cards. I'll bet they wouldn't have been so quick to give up the revenue stream 9 months ago. PayPal was making noise about it also.

Deutsche bank won't fund his projects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom