Access World reviews (1 Viewer)

standenman

Local time
Today, 08:20
I see on the homepage there are many glowing reviews. My experience as less than spectacular: snarky and condescending attitude. Bet you won't give the chance to post a review on your homepage!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:20
Almost all relationships here are reflections. When we offer advice, we would like to think that you actually paid attention to what was said. If we get no positive feedback, things WILL go sour here. Your experience was less than spectacular because you ignored some or all of the comments made by members trying to help you.

We pointed out that your design was flawed and, I don't know, maybe you took umbrage at the idea that your design was shaky. If you had the excuse of having a language barrier, we've worked through those before. But when you have an attitude barrier, that gets trickier.

When you post the same (or closely related) questions on other forums, it is like you are shopping around because you didn't like the answers you were getting. But from our viewpoint, you are wasting our time. This isn't a shop where people get paid commissions on sales volumes. We are all volunteers who help people on our own time out of whatever goodness may be lurking in our hearts. We get NOTHING back except satisfaction for helping someone.

You need to check that attitude at the door. We are here to help based on our knowledge of what works and what doesn't. You were told that you had something in the "what doesn't" category and were told the closest thing that DOES work. But from the feedback YOU gave us, you would think we spiked your party punchbowl or something equally reprehensible. You find us wanting? Keep up that attitude and ask another question. See how well THAT reflects back to you. Show us some decency and you will get serious help. Show us more 'tude and maybe you will get back some of what you give. This isn't a social media page where you get to "diss" folks who don't live up to your standards. This is a technical forum that happens to have a social corner. That's as close as we come to a public slag-fest like FB or Twitter.

standenman

Local time
I agree this is not Facebook, but IMO your members brought that attitude here as do you. I don't find anyone wanting here - I resent the insinuation that I am opinion shopping: I have something that needs to be done. I resent insinuations such as "why don't you just ask JotForm - they have been around for 15 years, I guess, I don't know what that was all about other than to insinuate I am trying to waste peoples time. I asked a very specific question and I get snark. Interesting you did not answer my question about featuring my review on your homepage. You are indeed an "immoderate moderator". I am done here.

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 15:20
I agree this is not Facebook, but IMO your members brought that attitude here as do you. I don't find anyone wanting here - I resent the insinuation that I am opinion shopping: I have something that needs to be done. I resent insinuations such as "why don't you just ask JotForm - they have been around for 15 years, I guess, I don't know what that was all about other than to insinuate I am trying to waste peoples time. I asked a very specific question and I get snark. Interesting you did not answer my question about featuring my review on your homepage. You are indeed an "immoderate moderator". I am done here.
I'm a bit confused. You say, "I am done here". You said something very similar in your last thread. So why are you still posting?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:20
To be clear, this comment
I resent insinuations such as "why don't you just ask JotForm - they have been around for 15 years,
wasn't made on this forum.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I resent the insinuation that I am opinion shopping: I have something that needs to be done.

I don't know what that was all about other than to insinuate I am trying to waste peoples time.

Yes, and the fact you actually DO have a problem is why I didn't ban you instantly with that attitude. We RECOGNIZE that you have a problem. Let me try to say it another way. The correct way to do what you did is to tell us:

I asked this question on UtterAccess at this page link: xxxxx and got an insufficient (or no) answer. I am therefore seeking other opinions.

If you do that, we can first check the link to see what you were told that WAS inadequate and see if we can do better. Or we can point out that the answer you were given should have worked and then ask "What went wrong?" Having knowledge of that link, we can BUILD on what was done that was not so positive.

The point is that when we are unaware of other instances of this question on the multiple forums that are out there, we might spend a few hours to develop an answer AND THEN find out someone else had already given you the same answer. Does that perhaps explain why we seriously dislike the act of silently cross-posting a question? Does that more clearly explain the insinuation of "time wasting"? To us, that IS opinion-shopping and I don't think any of us care if you don't like that term. I know that I call them as I see them. And as my Cajun cousins would say, "If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck and flies like a duck, it ain't a poullet-doux."

As to putting your review on the homepage, that privilege is reserved to the site owner. You certainly are free to send a post to him. His nom-de-site is "Jon" and he is pretty good about answering posts directed his way. Allow for him to be in a UK timezone when you post.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Actually, since I posted that title for myself, I can't deny it. However, Adam, I think you know that if your posts show me any level of respect, I do try to return that respect to the person even if I disagree with the principles presented in the post.

standenman

Local time
I showed no disrespect to anyone here -including you Doc Man but you have shown me great disrespect - lecturing me about how I "have a problem" that the Access Tribe all "recognizes": how condescending! You did not return me respect sir. The example is coming from the top.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You DO have a problem. You wouldn't have come here without one that needed solving. We recognize that. Please be aware for any potential future reference (if you decide that you want to ask another question) that "blind" cross-posting is generally frowned upon among many technical forums that overlap in subject matter, not just the AWF. In other forums cross-posting, if repeated often enough, can lead to account suspension. PLEASE note that your account has yet to be banned or limited in any way because despite your introduction to the forum being a rough one, we have done nothing about your multi-posting except voice displeasure about it. However, it seems that you can't recognize what you did as disrespectful. Therefore I will just drop this and move on to the next, and very important, issue.

Do you currently have a viable solution to the problem you originally posted? Is it satisfactory or does it need further attention?

standenman

Local time
No original post issue not solved in an acceptable way. It is possible to download the CSV file, edit it by hand, import to MS Access by hand, then ask another question set via online form and repeat this process. Zapier does not seem to like MS Access so that is a hinderance. I am currently looking at other products- like Zoho - to replace MS Access - products in which there is a seamless connection between an online form and a database table.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
OK, the problem is that Jotform does not claim to have a direct interface with Access. Please, if you will, return to your original thread that you marked as "Solved" because I will continue the technical issues there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom