Nuclear Energy (1 Viewer)

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:04
Well you guys have a tendency to reinvent wheels.
If ya’ll are so good at electrical engineering, why did your car makers fail to make an electrical system work; until we took over your failing auto industry and give it an overhaul?
When and where was that, you're not talking about General Motors are you?:rolleyes:

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Today, 17:04
Codes should apply to the whole country, not just to those states that decide to opt in or out
Anyway it is again irrelevant. The vast majority of home construction is in urban areas.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
When and where was that, you're not talking about General Motors are you?:rolleyes:

I think at Jaguar and Land Rover, American electrical engineers overcame decades of British electrical incompetence.

I seem to remember a certain MG with a positive ground, a guaranteed recipe for run-away corrosion.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
RCD residual current device
RCCD residual current operated circuit breaker
SRCD socket outlet incorporating an RCD
PRCD portable RCD, usually an RCD incorporated into a plug
RCBO an RCCD which includes overcurrent protection
SRCBO a socket outlet incorporating an RCBO

Also know as
ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI),
ground fault interrupter (GFI)
or an appliance leakage current interrupter (ALCI).

in the states and Canada

Thank you Brian, but I wonder why you would want to spoil this dialog with actual facts.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
I think at Jaguar and Land Rover, American electrical engineers overcame decades of British electrical incompetence.

I seem to remember a certain MG with a positive ground, a guaranteed recipe for run-away corrosion.
I remember a list of the Fords that I had with positive ground too, now what was your point again?:rolleyes:

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time

I think all cars had positive earth in the old days, my first Ford definitely did.

Brian

PS electric cars , like energy saving light bulbs are an environmental disaster.

Brian

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
I remember a list of the Fords that I had with positive ground too, now what was your point again?:rolleyes:
British Fords I imagine. Something to do with British employment laws.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
I think all cars had positive earth in the old days, my first Ford definitely did.

Brian

PS electric cars , like energy saving light bulbs are an environmental disaster.

Brian

I think that LEDs will have quite the opposite effect. Cheep to make, cheep to use, very low enviromental impact.

Back to nuclear, electric cars will be less of an impact when we stop burning coal to power them.

Local time
Today, 16:04
Ask Kenny Higg

Hey Ken,

Rich seems to be saying that you said that the whole US has restrictive "zonal laws" that prevent us from installing solar power on our homes. Is that true? Can you cite the laws from all the thousands upon thousands of municipalities that make up the US "zones"? Or is Rich just mis-"quoting" something you may or may not have said?

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Back to nuclear, electric cars will be less of an impact when we stop burning coal to power them.

But the spent batteries , full of funny metals , still have to be disposed of, along with the Nuclear waste.

I don't know much, well anything, about it but some "experts" seem to be saying that the resources put into electric cars would be better employed developing the hydrogen cell technology.

Brian

KenHigg

Local time
Hey Ken,

Rich seems to be saying that you said that the whole US has restrictive "zonal laws" that prevent us from installing solar power on our homes. Is that true? Can you cite the laws from all the thousands upon thousands of municipalities that make up the US "zones"? Or is Rich just mis-"quoting" something you may or may not have said?

Heck if I know where he got that?

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 14:04
LOL... electric cars - the Future of automobiling is over a century old...

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
But the spent batteries , full of funny metals , still have to be disposed of, along with the Nuclear waste.

I don't know much, well anything, about it but some "experts" seem to be saying that the resources put into electric cars would be better employed developing the hydrogen cell technology.

Brian

Absolutely Brian, I have always spoken against electric cars for that very reason, and I was always dismayed that most people that have supported electric cars never considered where the energy came from to start with.
Hydrogen fuel cells require energy from fuel separate from the fuel cell activity. You might think of a fuel cell as a clean, high yield battery.

No matter what the storage mechanism, the power grid has to be expanded to accommodate the extra load put on it by “charging” all those cars. In a coal burning society like the US, increases in electric cars means more pollution per mile driven than using gasoline powered vehicles.

Having said that though, we are changing quickly in the US to favor Natural Gas because they recently discovered an extremely large field (natural gas) stretching from North Texas to Pennsylvania (or so) There should be enough gas in this discovery to power the nation’s existing grid, plus convert a substantial number of cars to electric and still provide energy for about a hundred years.

That does not eliminate the need for developing non-fossil fuel technologies. One of the neglected conversations concerning energy is the very real need to develop massive power hungry desalination and delivery mechanisms for huge amounts of agricultural water. The United States pumps around a trillion gallons a year from the Ogallala Aquifer, the life blood of American agriculture. In India, since adopting American high yield methodologies, they are now experiencing salt water infusion into their aquifers due to reverse flow.

Ultimately fusion nuclear reactors will replace fission reactors, but in the mean time we need to continue to reduce our personal consumption, hopefully by higher yields as well as more thoughtful personal habits and at the same time increase production at the source.

But one thing to consider is that personal mobility is maybe the highest form of personal freedom. I’m a subway dweller and as such will not be a candidate for electric vehicles for some time to come, but millions of people living closer in would be. We just need to make sure the grid exist to support them.

For further reading on the Ogallala Aquifer
http://www.geology.iastate.edu/gccourse/issues/society/ogallala/ogallala.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom