Thread Deleting Posts - Moved (1 Viewer)

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 18:16
And now for one of the better uses of the Delete button. :D

Let's keep it on track. This isn't The Watercooler. ;)

EDIT: Now it is. Feel free to continue the banter.

Last edited:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 23:16
Re: Remove Thread deleting privileges

I'm sure I posted on this thread yesterday. But today it's gone.

What the !@&£ have I done wrong now? Or are all my posts going to be deleted?

All I said was that I didn't delete my post on the Chris(0) thread, it was deleted by someone over sensitive and I was told if I ever posted there again I would be banned.

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time

Question: should mods be allowed to delete posts without a reason given to the poster (by PM)?

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time

Why do you immediately jump to the conclusion it was you?:rolleyes:

Do you really think your posts were the only ones affected? Rain is missing a post, I am missing a post. Lol, way too funny.

Because according to the dictatorial attitude of the mods, it usually is me, you know full well I am hated here by the mods, it seems that normal conversation and questions are fine as long as its not on these forums.

Col

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:16

It appears that 11 posts from 5 distinct users were deleted. The moderator who deleted them identified himself and why he did it in post 23.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time

It appears that 11 posts from 5 distinct users were deleted. The moderator who deleted them identified himself and why he did it in post 23.

I don't think this is really a useful explanation of what we did wrong

And now for one of the better uses of the Delete button.

Let's keep it on track. This isn't The Watercooler.

and the somewhat smug first sentence does not help. I have been a staunch defender of those who keep this forum on track, but how can we learn if there is no explanation?

Brian

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time

Question: should mods be allowed to delete posts without a reason given to the poster (by PM)?

Col

I thought I'd repeat my question. I thought about rewording it to make it more simple to understand, I realise this site is managed mostly by Americans and answering direct questions is very difficult.

Col

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time

Vassago is the only one who can expand on his reasons. I mainly wanted to clarify that no single member was targeted.

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Tomorrow, 08:16

Let there be light.

The Thread about ChrisO was started by me.

It was to inform members of his passing.

Then along came Col.

His writings lacked respect, as though Chris was just a lower class sea urchin.
I do not remember the exact words written.

To say the least I found Col's words offensive. So I wrote to Col here for all to see what I thought of his remarks and to give Col right of reply.

Later I thought that maybe I went a little of the top. I will admit that I was at the time bereaved at the loss of man who had become a good friend of mine and my family.

So I reported myself to the Moderators to ask them to look at what both Col and I had written.

If I had said something incorrectly I did expect to have my post deleted.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time

Ok , so Vassago then decided that it was simpler to delete a whole bunch of posts that he felt had gone off topic, my missing post was a complaint about somebody quoting me out of context, but as that post has also gone it doesn't really matter. I just feel that I better explanation and a less cocky post was called for.

Brian

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time

I thought I'd repeat my question. I thought about rewording it to make it more simple to understand, I realise this site is managed mostly by Americans and answering direct questions is very difficult.

Col

In an ideal world this probably should occur but many of the Mods are busy people and just don't always have the time to do this. Having looked at the posts that were deleted I can say that IMO it was correct to delete them as they were completely off topic. An explanation was posted which made it perfectly clear to me why the posts had been deleted.

Now let's all move on and regard the matter as closed.

On the subject of deleting ordinary posts when a solution has been provided I agree with those who deprecate this. It just makes the forum a little less useful.

Vassago

Local time

Thank you Rabbie.

There was nothing cocky meant, certainly, and I apologize if it came across that way. I also could have given a better explanation. As Rabbie said, sometimes we are busy. I'll be sure to pay more attention to detail and clarity in the future.

The forum is also certainly not run by Americans. The only active American staff are pbaldy and myself. Everyone else is from outside the US. We have more mods from the UK than anywhere else, not to mention our forum owner.

That being said, can we drop everything off topic? If you want to have a discussion over this, please do it in the Watercooler. Also, as always, if you have a complaint about a decision I have made, feel free to contact Jon directly. I'm sure that since he's not American, he'll be able to understand without the need of a translation. ;)

Last edited:

Vassago

Local time

Thanks. This whole thread is off topic and should be moved to the Watercooler. I'd love to reply to Brian's comment, but it's not worth starting a new topic.

I agree, so I've moved the posts that aren't related to the topic.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time

In an ideal world this probably should occur but many of the Mods are busy people and just don't always have the time to do this.

I don't think this is a valid reason, it's more of a cop out.

Mods, if they delete a post or thread should just take an extra minute to PM the poster. When my post in the Chris thread was deleted, the mod notified me and warned me of a possible ban if i posted again on that thread, ok that was good, I knew exactly where I stood and have honoured that request.

Surely a PM to notify a poster is improving the site, and if so called mods are too "busy" then they should review whether they should even be mods.

Col

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
I've seen many (successful) sites where simple deletion of posts didn't warrant a notification from the mods, especially when more than one person was involved. Usually, there's just a public comment that people need to settle down (or shape up, or stop, or get back on topic, or whatever).

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time

I'm sure I posted on this thread yesterday. But today it's gone.

What the !@&£ have I done wrong now? Or are all my posts going to be deleted?

All I said was that I didn't delete my post on the Chris(0) thread, it was deleted by someone over sensitive and I was told if I ever posted there again I would be banned.

Col

lol Guess there is no use of me even thinking about it.?

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Tomorrow, 08:16
Just to help clear things up, if you feel that I was being over sensitive then please drop me a line or two in a PM and I will do my best to explain myself.

If anyone has a copy of the email that was sent out to subscribers then I would love to receive a copy by PM so that I can see what I wrote.

I do support the Mods in this action. If we don't accept the umpire's decision then things would decay quite rapidly.

I also believe that some of the Mods do very little work in administration of this forum. They would have their reasons so again we can't be harsh on them.

I would like to suggest is the appointment of two or three Mods in order to help out. I don't know the security levels but I am sure something could be worked out so some only have limited power if this is a concern.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time

I don't think this is a valid reason, it's more of a cop out.

Mods, if they delete a post or thread should just take an extra minute to PM the poster. When my post in the Chris thread was deleted, the mod notified me and warned me of a possible ban if i posted again on that thread, ok that was good, I knew exactly where I stood and have honoured that request.

Surely a PM to notify a poster is improving the site, and if so called mods are too "busy" then they should review whether they should even be mods.

Col
Col, I think in this case when Vassago was just tidying up a thread with quite a lot of irrelevant posts there was no need to PM the individual posters.

Where I think it might be helpful to PM is where the content posted is not appropriate so that the poster can adjust his behaviour without the need for a ban or suspension.

Obviously different people will have differing views on this so IMO no need to fall out over this.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time

Where I think it might be helpful to PM is where the content posted is not appropriate so that the poster can adjust his behaviour without the need for a ban or suspension.

Surely, if it is deemed by a mod that a post must be deleted, isn't that qualifying it as inappropriate?

If it wasn't, then the post would be left untouched.

Or are posts and threads deleted at random.

Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom