Access World Addiction Anonymous (1 Viewer)

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 16:46
you know Jon, I'd be interested in that duplicated META line in your picture. you know, the 2nd one?
Code:
<meta property="twitter:description" .....
you sharing this stuff on social media? how much API code do you have running in this place man!? or maybe not that? what was that advertisement concept you told me about again?

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 17:46
There will be a war between China and America soon. Possibly within five years and most certainly within 10 years. History dictates that when a superpower, the top dog is usurped from its position by another, there is always conflict between the two.
I agree on that one Tony, but I dont think it will be a conventional war per se. I think it will be a battle over the worlds' reserve currency and unfortunately, I think China will win. The world has had quite enough of the US of A.

But then, what do I know?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Oddly enough, that "reading your mind" question and "being a mind hacker", also earlier in the thread, would have been appropriate in another thread on the Asimov Foundation trilogy, because there was a mutant in that trilogy who threw things off-kilter. He had the ability to mentally hack a brain to make someone become his follower. Since his interference caused a divergence from the predictions made by Hari Seldon using psycho-history, he threatened the strategy that would shorting the chaotic interregnum following the fall of the first empire.

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
do you? well i don't know Gina, can you keep doing that and keeping up with that schedule? Neither of us are really college age. Personally, I can't believe you have the energy to maintain a schedule like that, being up at 2am!
Hmm, well going to leave that comment about my age alone...

I am normally up till about 3am often pushing even that. Since I work 99% of the time at night no *energy* to maintain.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Since I work 99% of the time at night no *energy* to maintain.
why work at night? isn't that what server workers are supposed to do? I didn't know there were any software developers in the world that did that.

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
why work at night? isn't that what server workers are supposed to do? I didn't know there were any software developers in the world that did that.

Server workers aren't the only people to work at night. The fact that you don't know any almost seems irrelevant as I don't know any that work during the day. Oh, take that back, I know one. That said, I don't ASSuME they only work at one time or another. I would think they work at what time works best for them.

So why at night? No interruptions ever. If I have to access their system everyone is at home. (You risk your life if you call me at night, eMail is okay and every one knows it.) I can code without stopping for anything, it's quiet, I finally have enough coffee in my system, always been a night person (even did my studying at night), etc.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
well don't take offense Gina, just like last time. that's good that you don't want any distractions. and that will happen more and more as time goes on, obviously. because without people with your type of skills, the economies will effectively stop, so it's no surprise to me that the professionals are starting to work with no one else around. I expect it to get even more prevelant very soon because the corps need those features as fast as possible! :rolleyes: Let us keep Richard's pension afloat! well maybe that applies to the non-governmental workers...the 401K people.

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
well don't take offense Gina, just like last time. that's good that you don't want any distractions. and that will happen more and more as time goes on, obviously. because without people with your type of skills, the economies will effectively stop, so it's no surprise to me that the professionals are starting to work with no one else around. I expect it to get even more prevelant very soon because the corps need those features as fast as possible! :rolleyes: Let us keep Richard's pension afloat! well maybe that applies to the non-governmental workers...the 401K people.

Nope, was not getting offended, just stating a fact.

Not sure what you were saying with the rest of that as I never stated anything about removing people, it was all about removing distractions. I spend a lot my days around people, I just don't code around them.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Nope, was not getting offended, just stating a fact.

Not sure what you were saying with the rest of that as I never stated anything about removing people, it was all about removing distractions. I spend a lot my days around people, I just don't code around them.
what I was referring to was the fact that the office environments nowadays are filled with non-technical people holding meetings all day and thinking WAY too much because they have nothing else to do during the day. and when technical people like us work in an office, they, a lot of times will come up and talk or politicize, only to waste our time when we have things to do and deadlines to meet. I've seen that happen so many times I've lost count. the result => the technical people staying way too long after hours to get stuff done when they should've been home eating supper with their families.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Actually, there were times when I had night shift work as well. I was a systems admin for a U.S. Navy Reserve personnel management server that literally had global scope. We had people from the USA, Europe, Korea, Australia, the Middle East - anywhere that the U.S. Navy had reservists, my system had users. But we determined that the best time for me to apply system patches that required long down-times was 2nd shift starting from about 3 PM and going to about 11 PM. So on days when I had a major system patch, I would go in late and would set up an announcement on the login screen and with a timer to broadcast to current users. We would have it all cleared by the Navy brass. However, I was almost never alone in the office because other systems had similar scope and my fellow admins were there, too, diligently patching the systems to Hell and gone.

But it was pretty quiet on 2nd shift.

Adam, don't you know how to handle the politicizers and chatty-kathy types? You tell them how stupid or incompetent they are to waste your time like they do, in hopes that they will eventually get the message and go away permanently.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
when technical people like us work in an office, they, a lot of times will come up and talk or politicize, only to waste our time when we have things to do and deadlines to meet.
Hence the phrase was born "F**k Off, I've got S**t to do"

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
what I was referring to was the fact that the office environments nowadays are filled with non-technical people holding meetings all day and thinking WAY too much because they have nothing else to do during the day. and when technical people like us work in an office, they, a lot of times will come up and talk or politicize, only to waste our time when we have things to do and deadlines to meet. I've seen that happen so many times I've lost count. the result => the technical people staying way too long after hours to get stuff done when they should've been home eating supper with their families.

Nope, never had a problem when I had a day job. I had a cone that everyone knew if it was in the doorway keep walking, if not feel free to come in. If meetings were to be scheduled I always requested first thing in the AM and no Monday's (fires all seemed to happen on Monday). Then I would wait until after the meeting to start anything. And I mean anything related to software, databases, whatever! (I am now trying to remember where I put that cone since I have not used it in years! It's collapsible and fits in my laptop bag quite nicely.)

I also have a rule with Clients, no politics and no religion, period. I don't post my political views nor do I post or impose my religious views publicly. That is what my family and friends are for. There is no platform, IMHO, that is suitable for that. You (or anyone else) want to talk about that then come over and let's have some coffee and TALK to each other FACE-to-FACE. And if that is case you fall into the friend or family category, other than that not happening.

Even we I go to spend time on site with Clients most have an empty office I can use if I have to and I can close the door. If not, I'll take over the conference room. So, if you do it right you can even work on site all day without being interrupted and *losing your place.*

Did it like that for many moons and only had a problem once where I just learned to block the talker out. (After a while he got it and starting *recognizing* the cone but maybe because I kept saying *you're paying me X amount of dollars to sit here and chit chat with you, who knows for sure.) I only started working exclusively from home when I started my own consulting services and even that was because I work better at night and got tired of coming home so late.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Adam, don't you know how to handle the politicizers and chatty-kathy types? You tell them how stupid or incompetent they are to waste your time like they do, in hopes that they will eventually get the message and go away permanently.
actually Richard, I would *rather* talk to them and waste time like they do. if I do that, I am able to help them a great deal and explain that they can either A) learn this stuff for themselves and be informed, or B) read more books and enjoy the fact that they don't have to do much work anymore.
Hence the phrase was born "F**k Off, I've got S**t to do"
there would be no way in hell I would ever say this to someone who doesn't understand anything technical. nothing makes a person feel worse than staying stupid $hit like this. this is almost as bad as explaining programming to an 18 year old who ois in their first year of college and using professional terminology . I think I've already covered that issue with you, haven't I Richard? :)

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
I also have a rule with Clients, no politics and no religion, period. I don't post my political views nor do I post or impose my religious views publicly. That is what my family and friends are for.
this is pretty much how the most successful business people on earth do so well. may I say that business is a great way to keep the hatred involved with those 2 things out of the world and turn it into a compromising medium?

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
this is pretty much how the most successful business people on earth do so well. may I say that business is a great way to keep the hatred involved with those 2 things out of the world and turn it into a compromising medium?

Not going there as it breaks my own rule.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
there would be no way in hell I would ever say this to someone who doesn't understand anything technical. nothing makes a person feel worse than staying stupid $hit like this
What does understanding technical issues have to do with telling someone to "Get on your bike" as our british friends would say.

You seem to have a pretty low opinion of anyone who isn't you.
this is almost as bad as explaining programming to an 18 year old who ois in their first year of college and using professional terminology .
I'm sure there are plenty of 18 year olds who could explain rings around you. Why do you hate children? Why do you hate Business people, succesful or not?

J.F.T.T.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
@moke123
Not to change the subject, and I am not a bike dude at all. I went to the Indian website, and man those bikes are sick. Are you an old school guy or new school? I watch American Pickers and they are fascinated by the old Indians. But man the new bikes are sick. Love the the dual black tail pipes and that sweeping fuel tank.
Also hoping to keep you from following Adam down the rabbit hole. Not a place to get out easily.
scout-accessories-lg.jpg

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
actually Richard, I would *rather* talk to them and waste time like they do. if I do that, I am able to help them a great deal

Somehow that figures. Because when you waste their time while on their nickel, (1) you do them a GREAT disservice by PROVING that you don't know the meaning of the word "professional" and (2) you prove to them that they should NEVER have hired a slacker like you who doesn't understand his own business responsibilities. When you take on a contract, you have an implied fiduciary responsibililty to give value for your pay.

Your idea of telling them to help themselves by learning to do something that they can pay YOU to do is essentially saying "I am not worth the money you pay me because I don't want to do your dirty work. I don't want to get into the trenches."

You are saying "I don't care that you have more to do than one person can do by him/herself." The WHOLE POINT of hiring a temp or contract worker is because there are only so many hours in the day but businesses often have more work to do in a day than one person can do.

When you PI$$ away your customer's time knowing that you could be doing something to help some person in a time crunch, you are telling that person "your time isn't worth anything anyway." If you did that to me exactly once, you would be gone the next day and I would be thankful for the lesson you taught me - which was that as a temp or contract worker, you are useless. Less than useless because you represent lost time that will never come back.

Adam, you continually ask me and others what you have done that was so wrong. You want to know why you bother us so much. Are you blind to the things we have told you? You must have a defect somewhere because you just don't seem to get it. But that's OK. We get it. We can see it clearly. I keep on thinking about the mote in my eye and the beam in your own.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
What does understanding technical issues have to do with telling someone to "Get on your bike" as our british friends would say.

You seem to have a pretty low opinion of anyone who isn't you.
I'm sure there are plenty of 18 year olds who could explain rings around you. Why do you hate children? Why do you hate Business people, succesful or not?

J.F.T.T.
I think you're confused, man. I don't hate anyone. don't you remember that post of mine months ago where I told you guys that if you reveal too much to your supervisors, they might just automate you out of your job? I don't have a low opinion of anyone. and there are posts of mine around this place that show I don't care one bit about successful people and putting them down. they can do what they please, if that's what they want out of life. The posts are about helping the poor people and those who have nothing. You might have a hard to time relating to that since you are not one of those people, don't ya think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom