Announcing the New Super-troll Quarantine User Group (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:56
There is always a bit of teasing going on in forums. It is hard to know where to draw the line. So, if a Mod feels a member goes a little too far, we try to get a little agreement between some other Mods. Then what happens? We change the user group of the troll from Regular Member to Super-troll Quarantine. Their privileges are restricted to The Watercooler (which has a more lax attitude on teasing) and to the Introduce Yourself forum. Given reasonable behaviour, they then get moved back into the Regular Member group, where they can participate in the rest of the forums. If their behaviour continues into the abyss, they get a temp ban.

This helps us avoid excommunicating a family member, while at the same time stopping things from getting out of hand. I hope this turns out to be an effective solution for all, even if it is not a perfect solution.

The reality is that when any group of people come together, there are always some people you like more than others. We cannot avoid this. What we can try to do is find a solution that helps mitigate conflict.

If you feel this approach is reasonable, please Like this post. I accept down-votes too, that's how desperate I am!

Last edited:

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Jon
In light of recent discussions here I doubt that it will be seen as a perfect solution by everyone. I don't think anything would be but I hope that everybody will support it and give it a try :)

Reactions: Jon

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Edit: Not sure if that expression is understood by all, but it is something we say over here in the UK. Google definition: "the real value of something can be judged only from practical experience or results and not from appearance or theory."

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Edit: Not sure if that expression is understood by all, but it is something we say over here in the UK.
Indeed. Let's hope that that it isn't too sour for some nor too sickly sweet for others.

• Haha

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I hope it fills our tummies!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
We all have.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
All we can do is give it a try. Seems like a sensible solution

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
We don't have a crystal ball, but at least we now have another tool in our arsenal.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:56
Well, I actually have a crystal ball but the damned thing is broken and now is only able to show me old Howard Cosell interviews.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 09:56
The reality is that when any group of people come together, there are always some people you like more than others. We cannot avoid this.
let me guess Jon.....you actually *think* there is a solution to this? Well, that's true, there is. But it's probably not what you're thinking....

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
When I was at university, I had to hold a class on conflict management. It was part of my business studies course. I had no idea what they were on about. I have a better idea nowadays.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 10:56
It would appear that the Access World News is accessible to the Super Troll group as well...

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
You guys can see why this permissions thing might be complex. I have these settings but there is still spillage:

1582376260443.png

Attachments

• 1582376218530.png
    1582376218530.png
    108.6 KB · Views: 333

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Ok, I have found the solution. Member was set to two different user groups. Sorted now.

I don't think you're getting where I'm coming from Jon.
Nor do you. Your voice cannot be heard in this section. That is part of the conflict management.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:56
There is always a bit of teasing going on in forums. It is hard to know where to draw the line. So, if a Mod feels a member goes a little too far, we try to get a little agreement between some other Mods. Then what happens? We change the user group of the troll from Regular Member to Super-troll Quarantine. Their privileges are restricted to The Watercooler (which has a more lax attitude on teasing) and to the Introduce Yourself forum. Given reasonable behaviour, they then get moved back into the Regular Member group, where they can participate in the rest of the forums. If their behaviour continues into the abyss, they get a temp ban.
What time is lights out, and can we bring contraband? Asking for a friend.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
@AccessBlaster Your comment was a little too opaque for me to understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom