Best book written on VBA (1 Viewer)

Ravi Kumar

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:41
Hi all,

I am currently reading "Access for dummies" & I also trying hard to write sample programmes as soon as I get to home from office(heavy workload you may say).
But still I am not getting that logical perception to write out my own programmes but I can understand the programme written by others & I can edit that too for some extent.
Can anyone please suggest me how to overcome this . like is there any platform where I can learn VBA through interactive style?
I really want to learn VBA more & also I have a dream of answering someone's question in this very forum.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 15:11
See thread with lots of discussions and recommendations
I am a book guy and disdain most videos, but there are links to both..

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 19:11
The best Access books I ever purchased were the two volume Access 2000 Developers Handbook by Litwin, Getz and Gilbert.
There's also a 2002 edition and you can still purchase them at a low price online.
However they aren't intended as beginners books.

You might find the free You Tube videos by Steve Bishop useful. There are over 100 at all levels from beginner to advanced

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
two volume Access 2000 Developers Handbook by Litwin, Getz and Gilbert
I also liked those.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:11
As an amateur writer, I have to throw in my two cents' worth. Go to a book store that has books on VBA. Take each down from the shelf and read a page or two on some topic starting from a chapter header. Doesn't have to be chapter 1 and in fact probably shouldn't be chapter 1. Compare them. The one that is best is the one that best connects to you in that brief sampling.

The reason is that all communication is TWO-way. I could be the most eloquent writer in the world ({chuckle}) but if my style doesn't get through to you then I have not communicated with you, and that communication is what is needed for success. So sample the style of each book and take the one that you liked most. Once you have gone through that book and have a better feel for the subject material, you can use a dry, dusty handbook that might challenge you to stay awake reading it, but which makes an excellent reference manual for looking up topics.

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
I learned to write Excel VBA simply by recording macros on Excel, going through them line by line understanding what they were doing, I would then Google How To... with Excel VBA, and take examples given and try to add them to the recorded Macro's , lots of trial and error, but worked for me, and whatever you can think of your mostly going to find an answer for it on Google..

It was in fact a colleague that inspired me to work in this fashion, I had tasked a young enthusiastic Tech Savvy 20 something back in the 90's to build me a system to track Purchase Orders with Sales for a company I worked at, using the Internet he built me a working Access database, it wasn't pretty but it did the job... It inspired me to take an Access VBA course and I was able to make amends to what he had built and refine it.. Lost. those skills now, but used the same technique as he did to learn myself Excel VBA..

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I have not read the 2000/2002 Developers Handbook, but after MajP and Col's response, I think I may.

I do have the 2010 version which is pretty amazing. I also have Andrew Couch's Access 2010 VBA, Inside and Out which I have found to be VERY helpful.

Additionally, one of our members, has a Better VBA series on YouTube. About 9 videos that serve as a CapStone to what you learn from any book you choose to read. Here is his first video in the series:

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Andrew Couch's Access 2010 VBA, Inside and Out which I have found to be VERY helpful.
The inside out books are very good to start with. I recommend not to spend much money on any of these books. Just get used ones for a couple of dollars. VBA and access essentials have not changed much so getting a 20xx version of anything is probably ok for 90% of things.

I see Access 2013 Inside out for less than 5dollars and less than 6 dollars for the Access Desktop Developers Handbook.

Last edited:

Ravi Kumar

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:41
Thank you for all your responses ...Just saw the steve bishop's video & I liked it … hope this will help me.

Dreamweaver

Local time
The best Access books I ever purchased were the two volume Access 2000 Developers Handbook by Litwin, Getz and Gilbert.
There's also a 2002 edition and you can still purchase them at a low price online.
However they aren't intended as beginners books.
Same Here, I used them so much a few pages came out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom