British are falling out of love with pubs according to new study (1 Viewer)

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 16:14
July 2015 -
http://www.unilad.co.uk/articles/th...out-of-love-with-pubs-according-to-new-study/

Quote: The number of people visiting pubs in the UK has fallen dramatically in recent years. The new survey claims that over half of us now prefer to entertain friends at home, with just 23% still visiting the pub on a regular basis.
Interestingly, it is the younger generation who are most responsible for the dip in pub attendance, with 18 to 34-year-olds three times more likely to see friends at home than out at a restaurant, pub or bar.
The number of pubs in Britain has fallen by a third since 1980 and, if the trend continues, the future looks very bleak indeed for the Great British Pub. End Quote

Say it isn't So!! :eek: Is this real? Is this a sign? Is this just a news article to shake the foundation of reality?
If the British can't hold up the sacred traditions, who will the rest of the world turn to? My favorite memories were visiting the many, many, many pubs in Australia. That was so refreshing to the US way of life.

What was that movie where the college graduates got back together to drink in all of the Pubs - something about the end of the world. Not Shawn of the Dead, I totally get that one, when the end of the world comes, the Pub is the last refuge... because it is a tradition.

What do you British have to say for yourselves?

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 22:14
Two things are stated to be responsible for the decline in pub attendance

1. The drink driving law. The young are more responsible than my generation.

2. The smoking ban, most drinkers appeared to be smokers so once they couldn't smoke with their drink in the pub they stayed at home.

I also think that the rise of female power/independence has a role, local pubs used to be the preserve of the male, a refuge from the strident female voice, but from the 70s onwards it was invaded by women which changed the ambience.
There was a men only pub in Liverpool which following the equality laws was invaded by feminists who then complained about the decor!!!

And as the article in the link states, cost is also an issue.

Brian

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
I think also the decline of heavy industry manufacturing in the UK also has to be part of the blame.

Years ago, men would come out of their factory, site, Pit...etc, and go straight into the pub. This doesn't happen to the same degree now.

But mostly as Brian has said, the smoking Ban has had a massive impact..

Libre

been around a little
Local time
Today, 15:14
My God what's the world coming to?
Less smoking, less drinking and driving, less hanging out in Pubs, equality for women...
We had better watch out here - the warning signs of a massive collapse of our way of life are all around!

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Lack of disposable income and price of drinking in a pub are major factors.
Most pubs can no longer survive on wet sales (drinks) alone, a majority rely on food to bolster / subsidise their incomes.
If people have less disposable income eating out is one of the first things to go.

Add in that the culture of going to the pub for lunch with work colleagues has all but died except in the big cities and another income stream has been cut out.

Those pubs l that have survived are mainly the ones that managed to keep a supply of regular drinkers along with regular diners.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
There's plenty of classic pubs left, plenty of new pubs bars of every description too. In the cities any way. Much more variety of drink - even in terms of beer - from micro breweries to foreign pints.( I wont go into alcopops/wine/cider soft drinks)

In countryside , where driving was important may have changed, and yes there's less where you would find the same people everynight just drinking pints, so maybe less suburban locals too people tend not to drink so regularly so there's no need for a pure pub on every corner.

I think its better than it was. Certainly better than the many aussie pubs I have been to - where drink driving rules, pokies machines/ lack of rounds etc make a nights out with aussies a forgetable experience. Actually no - I remember every dull minute of all of them ;-)

Whether its still the same in 20 years I don't know - youngsters drink less, and there's more of a culture who don't drink too.

But for now alive and well here.

( I saw a similar thing about nightclubs closing too - what was really meant was disco types closing, There's more and better variety now)

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
A lot of people are buying cheap drinks in their local supermarket and drinking at home. Pubs have definitely been hit by the smoking pubs and rural pubs have to provide decent food to survive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom