Cecil (1 Viewer)

Libre

been around a little
Local time
Today, 08:53
The dentist is claiming that he thought everything was legal and correct.

This is close to the defense that Steve Martin proposed, if you ever happen to get caught in a bank robbery.
Simply say, "I'm sorry. I forgot it was illegal to rob banks."

So this dentist claims he thought it was all on the up-and-up, never occurring to him that there could be anything wrong with luring an endangered animal out from a protected area, as he looked at his feet and whistled a tune.

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Today, 08:53
The dentist is claiming that he thought everything was legal and correct. Apparently the guides lured the lion out for him to kill. Of course I think if you really want an exciting hunting trip. Try killing the lion with a spear (talk about up close and personal).

make it interesting - bare hands - now that I would call sporting

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 17:53
@GaryPanic

I think Gary Larson had cartoons with animals shooting at the hunters

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:53
A house near where we used to live had a sign on the gate saying 'beware of the bear'

Near the front door, under a hedge was a small toy bear with rifle in a sniper postion

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 11:53
The dentist is claiming that he thought everything was legal and correct. Apparently the guides lured the lion out for him to kill. Of course I think if you really want an exciting hunting trip. Try killing the lion with a spear (talk about up close and personal).

It would be feasible, had he not been caught before trying to move a kill out of state park protected territory into hunting grounds and lying about it:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/c...-james-palmer-has-bear-related-felony-n400226

This kills his credibility for me. He's lion. :D

Too soon?

But really, I don't believe him. Not at all.

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
@CJ_London

New sign: "Beware of the dentist" :D

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
It would be feasible, had he not been caught before trying to move a kill out of state park protected territory into hunting grounds and lying about it:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/c...-james-palmer-has-bear-related-felony-n400226

This kills his credibility for me. He's lion. :D

Too soon?

But really, I don't believe him. Not at all.

Given his previous, and the fact he's experienced at this. He knew full well Lions were protected in some parts. What was he doing when the lion was supposedly lured out of the reserve. Surely he had a discussion over this - if he wasn't actively involved in its luring.

Hopefully the law will be applied to him.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
He's also been in trouble with the US Fish and Wildlife Service before, it seems. A few years back, a man of the same name, age, and town was convicted and placed on a year's probation for the shooting of a black bear.

Basically, he gets his kicks out of killing large animals.

I'm not even impressed by his skills as the Great White Hunter, because not only did he need guides to show him to the lion, but he needed them to find it and lure it out of the protected area (by meat tied to a car, for crying out loud). And even then, apparently, it took 40 HOURS to run down the wounded lion and shoot it again to kill it.

Oh, and then someone deliberately tried to destroy the GPS collar the lion was wearing.

Personally, my disgust is less with how the matter was performed, however, but rather the fact that it still happens at all. As was covered in another thread, I have no issue with hunting for food and necessary materials. I do, however, have an issue with going out and killing animals just to show how badass you are.

Last edited:

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
@Frothingslosh

10 years ago, I believe they concocted a system, whereby you could shoot live deer from your armchair over the Internet! That's badass.

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
I do, however, have an issue with going out and killing animals just to show how badass you are.

He wasn't even Badass, going one on one with the lion armed with just a pen knife, now that would be Badass... I doubt Mr Dentist would have escaped alive however... oh dear such a shame... :rolleyes:

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
On the bright side, Zimbabwe has started extradition proceedings against Dr. Palmer, although I don't know how successful they'll be - the US will not grant extradition of a citizen unless the crime involved is also a crime in the US, and lawyers are still looking into that in this case.

Also, Dr. Palmer appears to have fallen off the face of the earth. I honestly can't blame him there.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
He certainly didn't think this one through.

I don't agree that the death threats are appropriate though. People are getting far too emotional about this, as they typically do as the (un)moral majority.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
He's also been in trouble with the US Fish and Wildlife Service before, it seems. A few years back, a man of the same name, age, and town was convicted and placed on a year's probation for the shooting of a black bear.

Basically, he gets his kicks out of killing large animals.

I'm not even impressed by his skills as the Great White Hunter, because not only did he need guides to show him to the lion, but he needed them to find it and lure it out of the protected area (by meat tied to a car, for crying out loud). And even then, apparently, it took 40 HOURS to run down the wounded lion and shoot it again to kill it.

Oh, and then someone deliberately tried to destroy the GPS collar the lion was wearing.

Personally, my disgust is less with how the matter was performed, however, but rather the fact that it still happens at all. As was covered in another thread, I have no issue with hunting for food and necessary materials. I do, however, have an issue with going out and killing animals just to show how badass you are.
to be fair to him , to hunt legally I think he had to have a paid guide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom