Cold prevention (1 Viewer)

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Today, 12:48
It's getting to that time of year again.

The common cold most often is transmitted by direct contact with germs from the nose, mouth, or coughed or sneezed droplets from someone who is infected, usually by hand-to-hand contact.

The cold is a virus whose particles are passed from one person's hand to another person's hand. The second person then touches his or her eyes or rubs his or her nose, spreading the virus there, where the virus can start a new infection. It is possible to become infected by touching a surface, such as a tabletop or doorknob that was recently touched by an infected person, and then touching your eyes or nose. These viruses also can be spread by inhaling particles from the air after an infected person has coughed or sneezed.

Usually about half of the family members of an infected person will become ill. Colds also are transmitted frequently in schools and day care facilities.
To avoid getting or spreading a cold, it helps to clean your hands often, carefully dispose of all used tissues, and avoid rubbing your eyes and nose. If possible, you should avoid close, prolonged exposure to people who have colds.

People who exercise regularly, especially those who exercise daily, have fewer colds per year than those who are less active.

Increase your vitamin C intake, this does not just mean oranges, other sources of vitamin C include baked potatoes and most green vegetables.
Try and introduce more garlic and onions to your diet too, these help to fight off infection.

Many teachers swear by ecanacia tablets, to prevent infection, if you wish to take any supplements please read the instructions carefully.

Stay warm. The reduction in body temperature can loosen the mucus in the nasal cavities, causing runny noses which spread infection.

Take care of the amount of milk based products you consume as they have a tendency to increase the mucus in the sinuses.

Finally, if you are struck by the cold virus, please try and get as much sleep as possible. Employers should have a care to ensure that infected staff stay away to prevent an office epidemic and to prevent massive loss in production.

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Today, 05:48
my two pence worth - don't have any cold remedies - tlet it run its path - shorter in th elong run - hot liquids

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Try and introduce more garlic and onions to your diet too, these help to fight off infection.

They work by keeping people away. :D

Brian

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
I find a hot toddy with honey work very well when taken before going to bed

redneckgeek

Local time
Today, 08:48
I use lots of hand sanitizer - and generally avoid people as much as possible.
I think IPA must have some form of germ fighting power, since I rarely get colds or the flu.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I use lots of hand sanitizer - and generally avoid people as much as possible.
I think IPA must have some form of germ fighting power, since I rarely get colds or the flu.

And probably shoot anybody with a cold that comes close.

:D just joshing Redneck

Brian

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:48
The American writer Mark Twain was advised that drinking a quart of gin a day would keep away colds. He got that advice from two different people. As he said, "That made it a half-gallon a day." He didn't recall getting a cold during that period (or recall much else, for that matter), but was told he had breath like a buzzard. The latter might have significantly contributed to the absence of colds by keeping many people from getting too close.

Alane

very 'umble
Local time
Today, 05:48
Six months in the sun, that should do it.

Kila

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:48
I SWEAR by Airborne. I use it and it really works for me. I am not sure what IN it works. I think it has Zinc in it, like the Cold-Ease losenges, and echinacea & vitamin C. Cold-ease & Zicam also work with Zinc-gluconate, I think. (There are other zinc cominations). I have found sucking on a zinc vitamin tablet works just as well as Cold-Ease, especially when I have a sore throat coming on. I let it dissolve in my mouth & coat my throat when I go to bed & it seems to stop a sore throat in its tracks. Tastes nasty, but it really seems to work & you don't wake up with a sore throat. The last cold I almost had 2 weeks ago I used Airborne off & on for about a week (every time I felt that tickle coming back again) and the zinc tablet at nite. My husband ended up with a nasty chest cold (he did not use the Airborne), and the baby daughter fought t
he mild but persistant cough vailiently for about 2 weeks & ended up with bronchitis anyway.

Interestingly, when Airborne 1st came on the market, it was labeled for ages 2+. Now it is labeled for ages 4+. I used to give it to my oldest daughter (now age 6 1/2) at the 1st sign of a sniffle at age 2 & she seemed to avoid most colds. Now I am afraid to give it to the baby girl (almost 2) b/c I do not know why they changed the age guideline. Sometimes in the US they (the FDA?) chenge age guidelines just to be cautious b/c there is no testing for little children on record. You worry when there is a change b/c you wonder if extra caution was the reason, or if there was an isolated incident.

Atomic Shrimp

Humanoid lifeform
Local time
Here's what works (reasonably well) for me:

Plenty of fluids, avoiding anything colder than body temperature - a sore throat may make you want something ice cold, but in my experience, that only makes it worse in the long run - copious warm drinks such as fruit cordials and soups are best.

Olbas Pastilles - they're hard gums flavoured with menthol, eucalyptus, wintergreen and other similar things. Taste utterly foul, but are good at keeping the airways clear.

More soup - chicken soup really does make you feel better, especially for a head cold - have a bowl late at night, just before bed - it's as good as any medicine.

Chilli, black pepper, mustard, horseradish, etc, added to ordinary meals - these things help to loosen mucus, enabling it to be expelled.

This one is horrible and will make you unpopular, but it works: Instead of blowing your nose all the time, sniff hard and 'hoik', then spit out any nasty stuff. Gently blowing your nose is OK in moderation, especially if your nose is really runny, but blowing your nose hard increases the pressure in your nasal cavity and forces mucus back into your sinuses and up your eustachian tubes (the passage connecting the throat with the middle ear). Sniffing draws it out instead -as well as allowing you to eliminate mucus that just will not be removed by nose-blowing. Obviously you need to pick your time and place carefully for this socially unacceptable behaviour.

And this one works for me, but for obvious reasons, I cannot in good conscience recommend it to anyone else (especially as it runs directly contrary to something written by the OP): Sleep deprivation and extended working. I don't sleep much at normal times, but I have found that staying up really late and working hard seems to kick in some kind of energy boost that means a cold won't develop beyond a little bit of a sniffle. This has worked for me many a time and it's only when I have not been able to do it (for logistical reasons) that I have succumbed to colds that took me properly out of action.

One last thing: Man up. It's a cold. Never call it flu, unless it really is flu (which is a life-threatening disease).

Last edited:

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Of course he cares !!!!!

Len

Thinks..... hmmm "medication" response sounded a bit like a biased female view
:D:rolleyes:

Just a little green with envy at not being able to participate in the amber nectar at the moment :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom