Combo box (1 Viewer)

amavadia

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:31
I have a combo box on a form that allowes the user to select a record to be displayed in the form. The problem is i have about 3000 records in the table. Is there any way you can create a drop down menu with all the letters of the alphabet, and then use that to filter the records available in the drop down menu?

amavadia

Registered User.
Local time
I have a combo box on a form that allowes the user to select a record to be displayed in the form. The problem is i have about 3000 records in the table. Is there any way you can create a drop down menu with all the letters of the alphabet, and then use that to filter the records available in the drop down menu?

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 01:31
amavadia said:

You may be able to do this with what's referred to as cascading combo boxes. Do a search on the forum and you should should find plenty of posts on the topic...

Bobadopolis

No I can't fix it dammit!
Local time
Set the rowsource of the combo box to be a "value list" with one column. The rowsource will be:

cboLetters:
Code:
a;b;c;d;e;f;g;h(...);z

The Second combo would have a rowsource something like:

cboSearch:
Code:
SELECT YourTable.YourField FROM YourTable WHERE YourField like [Forms]![MyForm]![cboLetters] & "*") FROM YourTable ORDER BY YourTable.YourField;

In the query that the form runs from you want a criteria in the field that you're filtering by:

Code:
Like [Forms]![MyForm]![cboSearch] & "*"

In the AfterUpdate event of cboLetters you need to requery the second combo:

Code:
Me.cboSearch.Requery

In the AfterUpdate event of the cboSearch you need to requery the Form:

Code:
Me.Requery

That should do the trick :)

Bobadopolis

Last edited:

Sergeant

Someone's gotta do it
Local time
Today, 01:31
There are many ways to improve this situation.
One thing I have done is NOT populate the combo box until the third letter is typed by the user.
Do this by making a 'Change' event behind your combo box. In the event, do something like:
If Len(Me.MyComboBox.Text) > 2 Then
Me.MyComboBox.RowSource = "SELECT........WHERE MyText Like '" & Me.MyComboBox.Text & "*'"
Me.MyComboBox.DropDown
End If

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom