Coronavirus - are we all doomed? (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 03:03
Tera, if you believe that seeking for revenge is not silly and is a good idea in the midst of the real problems that need to be solved right now, I can't change your mind and won't be argumentative on the point. These forums are not a good place for continued political argument. I've spoken my piece, and I respect your opinion.

deletedT

Local time
Today, 10:03
Today there's a hit in social networks under this title:
west Virginia is a war zone during their coronavirus parties.

I couldn't find any youtube video.
But this page has a part of the clip:
link removed to possibly infecting thread

Can anybody explain what's going on?

Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Colorado amends coronavirus death count - says fewer have died of COVID-19 than previously thought.

Colorado has made a stunning and significant change to the way it counts COVID-19 deaths that reduced the statewide figure from more than 1,000 to 878, according to a report.
While its only 122 miss reports so far, if you compound these numbers out it could significant world wide.

Everyone needs to be skeptical of computer modeling they can be politically driven. 🌎 ;)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Or those are already the compounded figures for Colorado, thus making the initial estimates highly accurate, since a tiny percentage difference in the initial prediction will compound out to a near 10% difference in the end. Devils advocate!

I agree regarding the politically driven version of the model people decide to use. Mentioned this in a recent post.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Or those are already the compounded figures for Colorado, thus making the initial estimates highly accurate, since a tiny percentage difference in the initial prediction will compound out to a near 10% difference in the end.
Absolutely. (y)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I was kinda saying that calling a 10% difference on highly volatile estimates is not really stunning at all. But on further reflection, we are indeed on the same page because computer modelling is using these variables and thus is prone is high error (initially!).

But because its my Devils Advocate day, I want to disagree! So, you have two choices: a computer model or no model. One gives predictive ability that will change over time as you update the variables with more data, while the other doesn't. A torpedo goes off target, but keeps redirecting like the computer models as the data comes in. No model means you end up with no foresight and higher error bars.

But what do I know, I am a mere discussion forum owner who's birthday it is today and is depressed because he is getting older!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:03
@Tera - I'm drawing a blank on anything specific to West Virginia and parties. The stuff I can find suggests they are relatively low on the scale of infections and deaths. I've done more than one search approaching from different angles. No relevant hits so far. I should note that there is apparently a W.Va. sports group calling itself "Warzone" which seems to be related to prizefighting or mixed martial arts competitions.

The link you posted is in a language I don't read and it was interacting with my brower so I shut it off. My Kaspersky hadn't alerted yet so at least it either was poorly coded or it had not gotten far enough to do damage.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:03
Congrats on your birthday, Jon! Many happy returns, as we say. So, if this is anything like my stepdaughter's birthday, is it something like the 21st anniversary of your 29th birthday?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Thanks Doc. Yes, and a little bit more. Time flies and then we are dead. Unless my mind gets uploaded into the cloud, and then I think I am alive but I am not altogether sure.

deletedT

Local time
@Tera - I'm drawing a blank on anything specific to West Virginia and parties. The stuff I can find suggests they are relatively low on the scale of infections and deaths. I've done more than one search approaching from different angles. No relevant hits so far. I should note that there is apparently a W.Va. sports group calling itself "Warzone" which seems to be related to prizefighting or mixed martial arts competitions.

The link you posted is in a language I don't read and it was interacting with my brower so I shut it off. My Kaspersky hadn't alerted yet so at least it either was poorly coded or it had not gotten far enough to do damage.
Sorry Doc for the link. I deleted it. I’ll try to add a TikTok link.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
But because its my Devils Advocate day, I want to disagree! So, you have two choices: a computer model or no model.

How bout neither? I use my gut feeling, and right now my ganglia is sounding the alarm. ;)

• Wow
Reactions: Jon

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
This is why the Dems need the country to stay closed, it's really their only hope. I am not sure a Biden-Abrams ticket will play well with the basket of deplorable's.

1589999671293.png

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 06:03
Code:
I think naming a scientific issue based on a tirade of vengeful feelings is silly, and that's why we don't do it. I'm tired of people making up political soundbites to advance an agenda and hoping they stick as if they are something official. Anyway, we can agree to disagree.
PS .. I realize that those who are coming at this with an axe to grind at China will find this almost irresistible, and I sympathize with that.
There is no axe to grind. It is what it is. The ChiComms lied, covered it up and unleashed this upon the world. If you think otherwise you are poorly informed. China caused it, covered it up, killed thousands of people. I do not think you can debate that. It does not matter what political spectrum you are on left, middle, right. the fact are overwhelming. Noone is suggesting the Chinese people are at fault they are as much a victim as Italy on the hands of the ChiComms.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I never said I disputed that it came from China. I said that I think calling the disease that, and focusing on the "Chinese" label right now, is very distracting and damaging to the work that needs to be focused on right now. It may 'feel good' politically, but isn't the wisest choice right now.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
We agree to disagree. The "work" that needs to go on will go on regardless of what you call it. Much of the time there's not much point in figuring out who's to blame. In this case, I think not placing the blame where it lies only invites more of the same - from anywhere; i.e. history is doomed to repeat itself. Here is a former Chinese citizen who might shed some light on the Chinese Communist government actions in several spheres, including the suppression of Covid 19 information to the rest of the world.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
I said that I think calling the disease that, and focusing on the "Chinese" label right now, is very distracting and damaging to the work that needs to be focused on right now.
It is not a "political" thing. It is a strategic thing. The ChiComms are not a friendly group of guys. They are the worlds most horrific dictators. have killed way more people than Hitler, Stalin, Pol-Pot, etc. So I am just not shedding a tear for them. It is not distracting. If sticking your head in the sand makes you some how feel safer that is suprising to me. There is just no evidence (except maybe the Chinese) that does not show that they new this was a pandemic in the making and covered it up. You do not strong arm the WHO to not declare it a pandemic at the same time lock down 2 billion masks and 25 million units of PPE.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
If sticking your head in the sand makes you some how feel safer that is suprising to me
MajP, I am disappointed that you refer to my post this way, despite me trying to explain myself several times that that is not what I am doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom