Correct English?? (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 04:29
The problem with the Saints is that they insist on wearing black jerseys with black pants at home.

"Black pants"? Do they not wear shorts? I wasn't aware they ran round in their underwear.

Col

statsman

Local time
Yesterday, 23:29
"Black pants"? Do they not wear shorts? I wasn't aware they ran round in their underwear.

Col

Yet another example of the English and Americans being two great peoples separated only by a common language.

Pants - UK - ladies underwear
Pants - US - trousers

Shorts - UK - short trousers
Shorts - US - male underwear

For N american football the players wear 3/4 length trousers (cut just below the knee).

Last edited:

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
For N american football the players wear 3/4 length trousers (cut just below the knee).
Ah, you mean bloomers

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Yet another example of the English and Americans being two great peoples separated only by a common language.

Pants - UK - ladies underwear
Pants - US - trousers

Shorts - UK - short trousers
Shorts - US - male underwear

Not entirely true. I've never heard people refer to male underwear as shorts in the US. Shorts are short trousers here as well. We call ladies underwear panties, not pants.

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Yesterday, 20:29
back to langauge (and try not to use my spelling as an example, lol)
English evolves- any langauge that doesn't is dead

if you break english down to its core you will find a lot of foreign words -varaitons on etc and also regional varations
a twitten being a good one -

a wording mean a path /bridal path/track -- yet if you travelled up North they would think you are barmy

then you have
blond
blonde
one femine (?) other masculing -

which is unusal as English general doesn't do masculine/femine

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Yesterday, 20:29
or cross dressing ....only kidding ...

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
That pic of the pants is a medium size in the USA.

BTW, I didn't know you had a beard Ken.

Col

Wrong again, they are small/medium. We have combination sizes here.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:29
One of the things I have noticed over the last 30 years is that both an American and myself can understand each other much better when on the phone.

99% of phone conversations I have had with Americans over the last 30 years have been with either American shooters or people working in American gun or a gun related business. 30 years ago was a real problem:D but today there is no problem.

I suspect this is because the Australian accent has been moulded by American TV. I mentioned that 99% of phone conversations I have are with shooters because shooters in general are either blue collar or blue collar background (Europe is different) and perhaps blue collar has a stronger accent.

As a side note, with guns/hunting forums it is much easier to pick an American, Australian, Canadian, UKer or European than on Access forums.

What does suprise me on Access forums (although to a much smaller degree than guns/hunting forums) is the number of posters who do not even attempt to write their post in a readable format.

.i hav qery wil not wk ned hlp etc:D

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
99% of phone conversations I have had with Americans over the last 30 years have been with either American shooters or people working in American gun or a gun related business.

Like the Mafia? Or is it terrorism.

Col

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
There was areport in our press of 2 Americans shooting each other , both dead, in an argument over a toy in the sales. Isn't carrying guns great.

Brian

KenHigg

Local time
There was areport in our press of 2 Americans shooting each other , both dead, in an argument over a toy in the sales. Isn't carrying guns great.

Brian

Was the toy damaged?

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I think that I have caused a merging of this and the thread on disarming the civilian population :( it was caused by talk of guns and the mafia. :confused:

Brian

rustyCrVx

The Post is a Lie
Local time
Yesterday, 22:29
I think that I have caused a merging of this and the thread on disarming the civilian population :( it was caused by talk of guns and the mafia. :confused:

Brian

Penalty for hijacking a thread is to scooter-joust Col using baseball bats so you can each control the amount of force you apply to your opponent unlike a gun duel where you wouldn't have time to aim for a 2x2 inch area of the knee cap and might very well kill each other even if it was unintentional, but really you would have only been protecting yourself...

KenHigg

Local time
Penalty for hijacking a thread is to scooter-joust Col using baseball bats so you can each control the amount of force you apply to your opponent unlike a gun duel where you wouldn't have time to aim for a 2x2 inch area of the knee cap and might very well kill each other even if it was unintentional, but really you would have only been protecting yourself...

'scooter-joust' - Sounds like a lower abdominal track condition :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom